Mercury Prize 2010

The Seeker of Good Songs

In the same vein as Canada’s Polaris Award, the Mercury Prize is an annual competition that selects the year’s best album by an artist from the United Kingdom or Ireland.
A list of 12 long, this year’s nominees include both much hyped newcomers (The xx, Mumford & Sons, Villagers) as well as some familiar faces (Paul Weller, Laura Marling, Foals). Also up for contention is Dizee Rascal, Biffy Clyro, Corinne Bailey Rae, I Am Kloot, Wild Beasts, and Villagers.
The winner will be announced at a ceremony at London’s Grosvenor Park Hotel on September 7th. In addition to the inevitable boost in album sales, said winner will also take home £20,000.
A complete list of the Mercury Prize 2010 contenders and the respective name of their albums is as followed:
Biffy Clyro – Only Revolutions
Corinne Bailey Rae – The Sea
Dizzee Rascal – Tongue N’ Cheek
Kit Downes Trio – Golden
Foals – Total Life Forever
I Am Kloot – Sky At Night
Laura Marling – I Speak Because I Can
Mumford & Sons – Sigh No More
Paul Weller – Wake Up the Nation
Villagers – Becoming A Jackal
Wild Beasts – Two Dancers
The xx – xx

from: http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/07/20/mercury-prize-2010-nominees-announced/

Re: Mercury Prize 2010 nominees announced

In the same vein as Canada’s Polaris Award, the Mercury Prize is an annual competition that selects the year’s best album by an artist from the United Kingdom or Ireland.
A list of 12 long, this year’s nominees include both much hyped newcomers (The xx, Mumford & Sons, Villagers) as well as some familiar faces (Paul Weller, Laura Marling, Foals). Also up for contention is Dizee Rascal, Biffy Clyro, Corinne Bailey Rae, I Am Kloot, Wild Beasts, and Villagers.
The winner will be announced at a ceremony at London’s Grosvenor Park Hotel on September 7th. In addition to the inevitable boost in album sales, said winner will also take home £20,000.
A complete list of the Mercury Prize 2010 contenders and the respective name of their albums is as followed:
Biffy Clyro – Only Revolutions
Corinne Bailey Rae – The Sea
Dizzee Rascal – Tongue N’ Cheek
Kit Downes Trio – Golden
Foals – Total Life Forever
I Am Kloot – Sky At Night
Laura Marling – I Speak Because I Can
Mumford & Sons – Sigh No More
Paul Weller – Wake Up the Nation
Villagers – Becoming A Jackal
Wild Beasts – Two Dancers
The xx – xx

from: http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/07/20/mercury-prize-2010-nominees-announced/

What a weak list of Nominees, I hope Foals win.

Hmm... Wild Beasts have a few good songs. Villagers only has one. My vote goes for Wild Beasts.

XX is terribly overrated and irritating. Pitchfork twats.

Yawn.
Yawn.
Yawn.
Yawn.
Yawn.
Yawn.
Yawn.
Yawn.
Yawn.
Yawn.
Yawn.
Yawn.

And an extra 'Yawn' for being so pessimistic, but so... Ummm... Uninspired.

I am really sad Romance is Boring by Los Campesinos isnt on here. It is 40 times the album then anything on this list.

I've heard The XX's record and seen them live..Easilly the most overrated band the past 10 years

I tried out Wake up the Nation, and wished I hadn't. :(
One decent chart track and the rest - a mix of predictable, weak, rhyming couplets, patchy pastiches and "energy" beats with shouted vocals lacking variation in tone and depth. Supposed to be urgent and fresh. I tried to listen as if I was hearing a new artist for the first time, but it didn't convince as quality or originality.

I ended up with the impression they'd gone to the studio to produce an album with a particular feel. Nothing wrong with that if you want to prolong a career. But if you want to say this music is "urban" and "tough" and a "call to the Nation" you have to convince you mean it.

All pose, all attitude....about as much use as shouting at the ref on the screen in the pub.

Now, which one shall I try next....

I've heard The XX's record and seen them live..Easilly the most overrated band the past 10 years

so have i. the album isn't earth-shatteringly amazing, but i also don't think it's overrated. a young band with a fairly unique sound, one good singer, one douche bag with a fruity voice.

Mercury prize: Paul Weller at centre of 'biggest turnaround in music betting for 40 years'

Fifty-two-year-old musician's odds slashed from 20/1 to 1/10 after 'huge surge' of bets placed in his favour.

6a00e5536294b788330133f3ddfb8d970b-pi

Paul Weller is now the favourite to win the Mercury Prize after bookmakers William Hill said the singer was at the centre of the "biggest turnaround in music betting for the last 40 years". The 52-year-old
musician's odds for winning the prize have been slashed from 20/1 to a 1/10 after William Hill reported a "huge surge" in bets placed on the singer over the weekend.

William Hill spokesman Rupert Adams said Weller received hundreds of bets in "the space of about an hour and a half", saying that activity at their Birmingham branches was particularly fervent. As a result, Weller has overtaken the XX as William Hill's favourite to win the music industry prize.

"In no way are we suggesting that this surge in bets reflects anything untoward in the Mercury camp. The change in odds is not a comment on the integrity of the judges," said Adams. "Our feeling is a consensus has built that Weller is likely to be handed the award because it could well be his last chance to win it."
Click here to read the full story on Guardian.co.uk

from 991.com Sleevenotes : A Blog about Collecting Rare Vinyl 7", 12" & LP Records, CDs, Memorabilia & Music

Hope either Laura Marling or I Am Kloot will get the prize.

Weller's Wake Up The Nation isn't very good.

The xx win Mercury Prize 2010

One could argue that no band has had a better last 18 months than The xx. Sure, guitarist/keyboardist Baria Qureshi may have quit mid-way through all the hoopla, but that didn’t stop the UK outfit from taking the world by storm with a masterful debut and like 48 different world tours. They were also great on Fallon.
Just moments ago, The xx’s break through was further realized when they were awarded the 2010 Mercury Prize, the annual UK award for best album. The album, titled xx, topped a formidable batch of candidates that also included Laura Marling’s I Speak Because I Can, Foals’ Total Life Forever, Mumford & Sons’ Sigh No More, and Villagers’ Becoming a Jackal.
Past Mercury Prize winners include the Arctic Monkeys, Antony and the Johnsons, Portishead, and PJ Harvey.

from Consequence of Sound

What a letdown this was. Marling or Kloot deserved this more than any of the others put together. The xx are just dull NME crap.
But this is what happens when you let a panel decide.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom