MEN / BBC North West News coverage

Jukebox Jury

Retired
The link to today's Manchester Evening News.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...issey_abandons_concert_after_fan_throws_drink

BBC North West (6.30pm) tonight are featuring the incident. They called me this morning to ask if I would go on..... said they could come to my work to film it.... asked if I had a Morrissey T-shirt to wear and when I said 'no', they said 'We'll call you back'.
They did later but said they had gone to the Echo arena to film there instead!

Jukebox Jury

Re: Today's MEN / BBC North West News Tonight

Morrissey's incident also made Granada Reports this afternoon....gosh what a palava!!!
It would be nice to see the culprit brought to justice :D

Pffft. Journalists who lie, eh? And, by the way everyone - it was Phill who sent the very first report of the incident, seconds after it happened, and it was up here immediately. Now THAT'S good reporting.

Peter

Pffft. Journalists who lie, eh? And, by the way everyone - it was Phill who sent the very first report of the incident, seconds after it happened, and it was up here immediately. Now THAT'S good reporting.

Peter

:thumb:

Jukebox Jury

just watched, mmmmm not the first time its happened at the echo

Morrissey has had some major publicity, even people who aren't interested in him have been talking about it to me.

It's kind of amazing that Morrissey's run-in with a plastic bottle is such news.

Unfortunately, all the stir about him lately has been "Morrissey is a racist," "Morrissey cancels shows," "Morrissey collapses on stage," "Morrissey hit by projectile." It's hardly the kind of press that a great artist longs for. If I didn't know who he was I might be intrigued, but in the wrong way. He risks turning into a bit of a freak show. :rolleyes:

He really should resurrect Trouble Loves Me.

It's kind of amazing that Morrissey's run-in with a plastic bottle is such news.

Unfortunately, all the stir about him lately has been "Morrissey is a racist," "Morrissey cancels shows," "Morrissey collapses on stage," "Morrissey hit by projectile." It's hardly the kind of press that a great artist longs for. If I didn't know who he was I might be intrigued, but in the wrong way. He risks turning into a bit of a freak show. :rolleyes:

He really should resurrect Trouble Loves Me.

True, but on the other hand that's the kind of publicity bigger stars get - any incident (real or imagined) becomes news. Somehow our Moz has become "important" enough to the media to report this kind of stuff - not sure if it's good or bad, but, the kind of attention he is getting is certainly interesting.

Yes, I suppose that's the culture of celebrity (and the news).

I suppose all the "Morrissey honored by so-and-so" and "Morrissey wins such-and-such award" isn't nearly as compelling as "Morrissey cancels due to lack of plumbing." :crazy:

The link to today's Manchester Evening News.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...issey_abandons_concert_after_fan_throws_drink

BBC North West (6.30pm) tonight are featuring the incident. They called me this morning to ask if I would go on..... said they could come to my work to film it.... asked if I had a Morrissey T-shirt to wear and when I said 'no', they said 'We'll call you back'.
They did later but said they had gone to the Echo arena to film there instead!

Jukebox Jury

didnt know you were there , were did you go after it ?

just watched, mmmmm not the first time its happened at the echo

Feel free to correct me.....but when Actually WAS the first time you mention ??? I live in liverpool, and have NEVER heard of such an event happening, although the Arena has had a lot of bad publicity, This incident you mention must have escaped me, as I read the local paper, and have NEVER heard of an artist being assaulted on stage......and walking off...( As much as I agree with Morrissey for doing so.....I was there, it was Tragic.....)
Please enlighten me further..........I will humbly apologise If you can Actually prove me wrong....

Morrissey has had some major publicity, even people who aren't interested in him have been talking about it to me.

my work mates are so interested:eek: I guess everyone has an opinion on this and the of the staff I've spoken to, 99% support Morrissey. This cheered me up after the comments, bore out of frustration that I heard on Saturday.

The other 1% acts hard, like they can handle anything:sleeping:

Feel free to correct me.....but when Actually WAS the first time you mention ??? I live in liverpool, and have NEVER heard of such an event happening, although the Arena has had a lot of bad publicity, This incident you mention must have escaped me, as I read the local paper, and have NEVER heard of an artist being assaulted on stage......and walking off...( As much as I agree with Morrissey for doing so.....I was there, it was Tragic.....)
Please enlighten me further..........I will humbly apologise If you can Actually prove me wrong....

Thank you for the email about the "Kings Of Leon" incident!!!
Although I never heard about that AT ALL in the Local newspaper myself.....security MUST be stepped up in future....
I am a fan of Arctic monkeys, and have NO intention of attending their show at the Arena........Gawdd knows what Neanderthals They will attract.....

no probs, i personally think that the bars should be kept separate from the stage areas, and no alcohol should be allowed into these areas.

There was another article on the Liverpool incident in today's MEN, entitled 'These Charmless Fans' - basically saying that Moz deserves more respect and there are too many ****heads at gigs these days. I'm glad that this has raised a discussion about behaviour at gigs (although I can't see anything being done about it). However, I hope all Moz fans don't get lumped in with the thuggish, thoughtless minority.

There was another article on the Liverpool incident in today's MEN, entitled 'These Charmless Fans' - basically saying that Moz deserves more respect and there are too many ****heads at gigs these days. I'm glad that this has raised a discussion about behaviour at gigs (although I can't see anything being done about it). However, I hope all Moz fans don't get lumped in with the thuggish, thoughtless minority.
It was a very good read and highlighted problems that can happen at a lot of concerts due to the ignorance of people.

...To backtrack a bit to my original response to Chrisnat.....
There was an article in last nights ( Nov 11th)Liverpool Echo ( written by Nick Peet...a regular columnist..), which mentions the Kings Of Leon "Incidents".....So, apologies again mate, but it was NEVR reported at the time....
I have NO Idea how to "Post" the article on here ( somebody already has though....not sure exactly on which thread....)
But Nick Peet is Completely out of order in his comments, ESPECIALLY as he works for the Same Newspaper the Arena is named after.....Shame on him....Prick.....

Last edited:
Nick Peet on the Morrissey arena debacle

Nov 11 2009 by Nick Peet, Liverpool Echo
Comments (2)
Recommend

BOOZING at the ECHO Arena seems to be the topic of the week again after one spilled drink at the weekend found its way on top of Morrissey’s head.

The incident throws up tons of issues about our incredible new world class venue but also singled the artist out for exactly what he is; a boring old wet drip.

Is there an alcohol access issue to be tackled at the King’s Dock venue? Undoubtedly.

Is it a really such a big problem? Hardly.

Plastic beer cups and the odd smuggled plastic bottle are frequent overhead projectiles when you go to rock concerts the world over.

A combination of sheer excitement and being in a state of intoxication can send the happy person in all of us into overdrive as the opening chords of a favourite song turns you into a one-man fountain leaving everyone around you showered in your warm beer.

Of course, this only happens up front in the standing section naturally. It’s a state of mind only found acceptable when you are shoulder to shoulder with sweaty students with shirts around their heads and whistles around their necks.

Spraying drinks certainly wouldn’t be feasible up in the gods for instance, where the guy next to you has miserably sat throughout the best gig of your life so as not to crease his club blazer.

But it’s a variation of this unspoken rule of gig conduct that made last weekend’s Morrissey incident so hard to fathom.

Don’t get me wrong, if I were dragged along to a Morrissey concert myself I’d throw something. Not my beer mind that would be the only thing numbing the pain of his depressing back catalogue. But certainly a shoe or a mobile phone or even a small first year student perhaps!

But Morrissey fans are hardly your head-banging, beer swilling crowd.

A bunch of 40-something old romantics; it shouldn’t be difficult to find the beer bottle distributor – after all, he was obviously the only one drinking beer amongst a field of soppy red wine sippers.

The other factor to remember is that Morrissey himself has set a new precedent for attendees of his future shows. If he’s c**p then simply chuck something at him and he’ll head for the exit quicker than an MP with a blank expenses form.

Both the Arctic Monkey’s and Kasabian have concerts planned for the ECHO Arena later this week and I’d bet both bands would be somewhat insulted if a couple of beers didn’t get sprayed about the place.

The only fear for the venue is that is escalates out of control like it did towards the end of the Kings of Leon gig earlier in the summer, as there was content far more sinister than beer in some of those plastic cups.

But the regulation and sale of booze at the ECHO Arena is just a toothache on a sensational first 12 months of trading.

And if dreary Morrissey chooses not to return then real Merseyside music fans should all stand united and buy last weekend’s beer chucker a replacement pint.

Tags
jj's da best useless jukebox
Back
Top Bottom