Memorable Live Lyrical Alterations

What are your most memorable concert moments, when a lyric was changed and why?

For me, it was when I first saw Morrissey live (2004 I think), and I first heard/saw November Spawned A Monster live, one of my all time top 3 songs.
Aswell as collapsing to the floor in Dublin and writhing around, the lyric change was along the lines of:

I am a symbol of where mad mad lover must always draw the line.

I just loved the personalisation of the change.

This is all.
You?

My favourite lyric change is:

You have never seen love until you've saved a cow from an abattoir.

"So for once in my life
Let me have who I want"

While it didn't enrich the song, it certainly sounded great in concert.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which show he sang it?

Århus, Denmark, 13th July 2011.

He also sang something along the lines of "You have never been in love until you've seen into my blue eyes".

I always liked:

"You had to sneak into my room just to listen to Your Arsenal / it was just to hear, just to hear, all the songs you knew I'd written about you..."

"There's a club if you'd like to go, you could meet somebody who can actually stand you. So you go and you stand on your own, and you leave on your own - WHAT a big surprise."

mcrickson, he sang those lyrics to How Soon Is Now (which he came onstage to) that night in Dublin aswell.
Awesome.

Two that stand out for me (as I was there!) are:

"Anthony Newley raised to wait" in place of Patric Doonan, in "Now my Heart is Full".
as well as...

"...and he's just to busy to kiss me..." from "Hairdresser on Fire"

(Chicago Theater, February 2000)

Last edited:
The one I found disappointing was/is the lyric change in " In The Future..." . I found the original words "...something must have gone right..." to be enjoyably surprising and in keeping with the rest of the song. To change it to ".... something must have gone wrong ..." seemed , I don't know, almost a shabby "pope-of-mope" -style joke.

Perhaps my sense of irony is lagging behind...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom