Meat is Murder live EP query

everydayslikesunday

Whilst at my local record fair (nothing of much interest there apart for a Modest Mouse Album sampler promo), I got chatting to one of the dealers. He claims to have just taken stock of the Meat is Murder live EP 7" test pressing that came with artwork(?). He didn't have it with him for me to see unfortunately. Now as far as I know, this test pressing never came with artwork as it was obviously never released as a single. Please can someone put me right.

Whilst at my local record fair (nothing of much interest there apart for a Modest Mouse Album sampler promo), I got chatting to one of the dealers. He claims to have just taken stock of the Meat is Murder live EP 7" test pressing that came with artwork(?). He didn't have it with him for me to see unfortunately. Now as far as I know, this test pressing never came with artwork as it was obviously never released as a single. Please can someone put me right.

chase it up though, it's highly unlikely that it's a 'new' artwork, like you say ELS it was never released.
Here's the blurb from passions That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
Promotion:
UK: This single was promoted in the UK with a white label version of the 12" single. The label was actually light pink. The record was often dispatched inside an early version of the sleeve, with slightly alternate artwork. An extremely limited number of test pressings of the 7" with Mayking pressing plant labels and a Scott Piering promo bill fixed to a generic sleeve were used for very early promotion of the single.

So maybe he's got the 12" version & he's mistaken what it is?

love

Grim

Grim, I believe you've mistaken the info for That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore.

The dealer might have mistaken the Meat Is Murder live ep for a test pressing of That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore with the rooster on the back of the sleeve. They both share the same RT number.

I didn't think of that Beau, good point, however my wife has just told me that he said he had it up on e-bay so I tried to find it hoping for a photo or more info.

No MIM listed, but there is a copy of How Soon is Now mis-pressed 7" for the same money he had mentioned so I expect he got confused (if it is the same person), his knowledge on The Smiths/Mozza was limited.

I'll ask him next time I see him, I imagine he'll still have it at that price.

I did get a Modest Mouse album sampler cd-r promo from him for 50p though.

The dealer might have mistaken the Meat Is Murder live ep for a test pressing of That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore with the rooster on the back of the sleeve. They both share the same RT number.

By the way the 'alternate artwork' I mention for that single is not the rooster one. I don't think that one was ever produced. I mean the one with the slightly different colour patterns and position of text and credits, mainly on the back.

Stephane

I'm just typing based on my own information. It was plausible that such a thing existed. I took possession of some proof sleeves a number of years ago, from the same source MorrisseyMadness did, and I think there was a rooster proof, so it is plausible that some might have made it all the way to production. Since these things are not mentioned in either the New or Old Testament, it's really impossible to know, concretely.

Hi Beau, The cock sleeve never got passed the proof stage it was rejected, and it even states that in Peepholism

Mike Mozzer Madness

Back
Top Bottom