"Meat is boss!!"

I don't think it's the point of not eating meat. If I go to someone else's home for dinner I eat whatever is being served. I think it was the point that his will was being imposed ... and he wasn't even there. That is annoying to say the least.

Well, he was making a statement and that meant that people couldn't have meat for about half a day. It's not like he denied them food.

Well, he was making a statement and that meant that people couldn't have meat for about half a day. It's not like he denied them food.

You either missed the point or disregarded it. That's okay, I am on my way out the door and will happily repeat it. Sure... they can go without eating a ham sandwich for a day. However Morrissey is not there and was not going to be there until it was time for him to preform. So why institute sanctions for something that you are not even going to be a part of.

You do not find it annoying because it caters to your belief system. However, if it did not conform with your belief system would you feel the same way? If it was not Morrissey would you feel the same way? Take Morrissey and eating vegetables out of the equation.

If you were hired to do something and found out that someone forced a policy that was in conflict with your belief system and then to top it off you found out that the person that caused that policy was not even going to show up to that area- you would be okay with that?

Please... Are they acting like babies? Absolutely
Are their complaints warranted to a degree... yeah they are.

Because he can.

The little shits were just upset because they didnt have the clout to even request a rider.

In fact they probably werent even bothered, and just made a fus cos they're pricks.

There will be a reason why the organisers went along with Morrissey's "demands", and it wouldn't be out of the goodness of their hearts or just because he is "Morrissey". It's all about business.

Presumably, he would have given them something in return to make it worth their while to piss the other artists off, the most likely being accepting a smaller fee than other headliners demand.

You either missed the point or disregarded it. That's okay, I am on my way out the door and will happily repeat it. Sure... they can go without eating a ham sandwich for a day. However Morrissey is not there and was not going to be there until it was time for him to preform. So why institute sanctions for something that you are not even going to be a part of.

You do not find it annoying because it caters to your belief system. However, if it did not conform with your belief system would you feel the same way? If it was not Morrissey would you feel the same way? Take Morrissey and eating vegetables out of the equation.

If you were hired to do something and found out that someone forced a policy that was in conflict with your belief system and then to top it off you found out that the person that caused that policy was not even going to show up to that area- you would be okay with that?

I completely agree with Dave, but Buzetta makes an excellent point. It's as though he's hosting a vegetarian banquet, yet he doesn't have the decency to show up, therefor imposing his will on others in a way which is sort of bitchy. The Rascals were being nitwits and there's nothing wrong with mandating vegetarianism. Also, I wasn't backstage so who knows if he didn't sneak a grape from the catering truck or whatever before going on. it just would've been more appropriate if he was mingling with all the people while they were being vegetarians. Another thought in defense of Morrissey, there's a good chance it's more than just imposing his will, that it's actually like a cleansing ritual or something that the backstage area be meat free before he bares his soul to the world on stage.

I think on this topic I will take Morrissey's advice and "stop talking" or whatever Ashkenazi's little card said. :o

I did not miss your point.

So why institute sanctions for something that you are not even going to be a part of.

To make a statement. To send a message. He was in a position to make that request, so he did. It doesn't really matter if he was there or not. He does it everywhere he performs, doesn't he?

I would have been annoyed if someone made sure that vegetarian food was not available because that would mean I couldn't have anything to eat. Meat eaters can eat vegetarian food. The only point I was making was that I can't understand why people see it as a some kind of violation of a basic human right if they can't have meat.

I was at a music festival on Randall's Island last year, and there was only ONE booth that served veggie dogs. Every other booth was hamburgers, or hot dogs, or some other dead, cut-up critter. The lack of veggie options was really a surprise.

The line for the veggie dog place was by far the longest, and they ran out by the time we got there, so all we had to eat was fries and other sides. The event was on an island, so there was no way we could leave and come back - the logistics were impossible.

It was like seeing five bands in a barbecue pit. :mad:

Many people there would have been grateful for a vegetarian like Morrissey - someone with some clout who could have at least provided more options for the many people who refuse to take death into their bodies.

I do need one question answering...

Who the f*** are The Rascals?
Never heard of them.
I assume from the name that they're another one of those "Oi oi, knees up disco, lets go, she's got black hair like she just don't care, gonna make her mine on the district line" bands that play Cklub NME and have that odd curly hair that makes indie boys look like Skreech from Saved By The Bell.

I could be wrong though.

Oh and

Vegetarianism >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> carcass-gobblers

To a point, I agree with you entirely. Insisting on a no-meat policy when you don't even plan to be there IS a bit annoying for the meat-eaters. The thing is, these events very rarely cater for vegetarians. I usually find that I am forced to go without food because I don't believe in eating meat and hot dogs and burgers are often all that is available. Having no meat-free option conflicts with MY belief system, and no, I'm not OK with that. Those other bands back stage may not have been able to have a burger, but at least there WAS food available. For us vegetarians, there often isn't!

You know what he should do? I've been to events where the token vegetarian dish looks like a wilted lettuce sandwich on stale bread forgotten in the corner of the kitchen for two weeks then put on a platter with some parsley and offered as edible food fit for the few weird veg-heads present. I always hated that despite being a meat-eater all my life. (Not any longer.) He should offer meat for the meat eaters, but it should be presented in a less than savory way. Tripe on a cracker. Or cold menudo. Or pimento loaf on stale wheat bread with yellow mayonnaise. Then all the rest of the platters should be fresh steamed vegetables and platters of fruit, tons of bread and cheese, massive amounts of whitish hummus. I'm not kidding, do it up beautiful, but have the token meat platter for the token meat eater.

But then again that wouldn't exactly honor the poor animal who died making the pimento loaf, but rather mock it. Maybe not a good idea after all.

Well said CrystalGeezer. It would be nice for the meat-eaters, for once, to only have 1 option on the menu, and for it to be totally unimaginative.

To the vegetarians moaning about lack of choice at festivals (or anywhere)... it's just economics, the vendors are not out to spite you. You don't have the right to a decent selection of vegetarian choices.

Shame the Rascals couldn't just have laughed about this. All I took from this report is 'that guy from the Rascals is a dick'. I definitely disagree with Morrissey's views about eating animals but I'm sure no human rights were infringed here.

To the vegetarians moaning about lack of choice at festivals (or anywhere)... it's just economics, the vendors are not out to spite you. You don't have the right to a decent selection of vegetarian choices.

I doubt there is any economic advantage to meat as opposed to non-meat; the veggie-dog place had the longest line.

There are no lack of vegetarian food vendors who do just as well as meat vendors - especially in NYC. Every street fair has a falafel/hummous stand, or a rice-and-beans thing, be it Mexican or Indian. The festival I was at had so many booths, but only one non-meat option.

It may not have been spiteful, but it was thoughtless.

Well just pity them for their lack of foresight in not providing enough vegetarian options, in that case? This talk of 'let meat eaters see how they like it when they only have one poorly presented option' is misplaced.

I guess it is misplaced. The thing is, I get called all sorts of names if I mention a lack of veggie food anywhere, but I'm sure meat-eaters would complain just as much if the meaty options were rubbish. If I go somewhere and there is no veggie food, I just deal with it, and I think they could have dealt with the lack of meat options just as easily. I do think Morrissey was unfair to impose a no-meat policy when he wasn't even there, but I also think that the guy from 'The Rascals' rant was a bit over the top.

I agree that there is no economic advantage to not having a veggie option. There are plenty of vegetarians, and more and more people are going veggie all the time. The queues for veggie food stands are often the longest. I saw 1 veggie food stand at Wireless last friday, and the queue for it was far, far longer than for any of the burger vans I saw.

Oops, I think this thread is a bit off topic now.

I think discussing the moral dimension / implications of morrissey's action here is ontopic.

About the vegetarian options being 'rubbish', well, as a meat eater, I would describe the meat options at most festivals as 'rubbish'. That's not *always* the case, but it *often* is. Industrial-quality burger or hot dog is often all the choice stretches to! As I said, not always, but often. I'm not denying the vegetarian choice is most often even more limited, but most often it would be false to say that meat eaters are eating amazingly high quality appetising stuff while vegetarians have to eat a poor quality vegetarian choice.

I think discussing the moral dimension / implications of morrissey's action here is ontopic.

About the vegetarian options being 'rubbish', well, as a meat eater, I would describe the meat options at most festivals as 'rubbish'. That's not *always* the case, but it *often* is. Industrial-quality burger or hot dog is often all the choice stretches to! As I said, not always, but often. I'm not denying the vegetarian choice is most often even more limited, but most often it would be false to say that meat eaters are eating amazingly high quality appetising stuff while vegetarians have to eat a poor quality vegetarian choice.

It's true - meat eaters have several different kinds of greasy rubbish to choose from. Vegetarians are lucky to have more than one. BYO would be good idea for everyone.

As for Morrissey's sense of morality - it's good to be the king. :D

I do think Morrissey was unfair to impose a no-meat policy when he wasn't even there,

That is what I don't get. I don't see how having no meat on the menue is imposing anything on anyone. It is not like vegetarian food is something completely alien that has something strange in it that meat eaters can't digest. It is food. I am sure that if you did a variety of different vegetable dishes but didn't call it vegetarian food noone would give it much thought. It is some strange obsession meat eaters have that if the food is "vegetarian" it is not real food and they feel cheated.

I think we should start calling it "food" and "carnivorous food".

I don't see it as imposing either, but some carnivores do. Food is food. Just because it contains no meat doesn't mean it is not edible. Nobody was forced to go without food.

Back
Top Bottom