Meaning of Swords

headmusic

headmusic
I was thinking that the sleeve of "Swords" is not very appealing. But on the other hand I think that with the title Moz has gone back to old puns like "Your arse'n'all" meaning Your Arsenal, etc. I believe that when you look at the Swords cover you read "Morrissey Swords", but it actually means "Morrissey's words". I quite like the title, very suitable for an autobiography other than a record. I do think that Morrissey's words have been actually the swords with which he has defended himself against a whole world full of destructors, carnivors and crashing bores. The title itself is great but I wish it had a better artwork. It would have been a perfect record. has it been said already? Please stop me if you think you've heard this before:guitar:

I was thinking that the sleeve of "Swords" is not very appealing. But on the other hand I think that with the title Moz has gone back to old puns like "Your arse'n'all" meaning Your Arsenal, etc. I believe that when you look at the Swords cover you read "Morrissey Swords", but it actually means "Morrissey's words". I quite like the title, very suitable for an autobiography other than a record. I do think that Morrissey's words have been actually the swords with which he has defended himself against a whole world full of destructors, carnivors and crashing bores. The title itself is great but I wish it had a better artwork. It would have been a perfect record. has it been said already? Please stop me if you think you've heard this before:guitar:

Excellent way of putting it.

Personally, ever since I first heard the title I wasn't convinced that it was intended as "Morrissey's Words." Don't get me wrong in the least -- a lot of the songs on 'Swords' are fabulous -- some are my very favorites. But it just seems to me that he wouldn't make a compilation of songs that he relegated to B-sides (no matter how fantastic they in fact are) the epicenter of autobiographical reflection. I'm not entirely sure how to further explain what I mean..:blushing:

When I first heard the title I thought of the place outside Dublin. On the tour you can buy a keyring (road sign) which seems to confirm this.

Yes, it definitely seems to say "Morrissey's Words" on the spine, so this seems like the most likely theory. However perhaps it was also intended to conjure up images of the place in Dublin, as Brel said.

I liked you suggestion of meaning. Maybe you're right. I have never thought about it. In Portuguese, "sword" is a slang to "penis", I've thought it could have any relation - but now I know I was completely wrong, nevetheless.

Anyone remember an old Morrissey photo/poster with "The Pen is Mightier Than Than The Sword"? :lbf:

I think "Swords" well could be a take on that old saying.

anyway, I like the booklet. You will laugh but I think it's quite "seasonal" especially here in the UK in November. I've forgotten how good some of the B-sides were!

Anyone remember an old Morrissey photo/poster with "The Pen is Mightier Than Than The Sword"? :lbf:

I think "Swords" well could be a take on that old saying.!
Yeah.. it's really possible.. but I believe that "Morrissey's words" seems more correct theory. Maybe, your "old saying" is only a reference.

anyway, I like the booklet. You will laugh but I think it's quite "seasonal" especially here in the UK in November. I've forgotten how good some of the B-sides were!

Why is Swords "quite seasonal"?

Early on, soon after the album was announced, someone on the main page simply pegged it as "S-words". As in "Steven Words". Yes, Moz is not a big fan of his first name but it still makes sense. Anyway he namechecked himself in Ouija board!

For your interest

You should see the index of the CD itself.
Uncleskinny posted some photos in here

15efeas.jpg

He rightly pointed out in the above thread that 'MorrisseySwords = Morrissey's word'. :cool:

When I first heard the title I thought of the place outside Dublin. On the tour you can buy a keyring (road sign) which seems to confirm this.

I saw Swords in the address for some company that makes grout in Homebase today. :thumb:

I don't usually make anything of album titles unless it's blindingly obvious (I'm a simple child). I just think that Swords is an interesting word to look at and can be ambiguous - like Raphael Lambach said, I think I have heard the word 'sword' used as a slang term for penis.

I've often wondered if that photoshoot may have been related to a videoshoot for 'Black Cloud.' Word from Stephane was that it was scrapped as a single, and it just came back into my mind seeing this picture with his mouth open, as if it were a still from a video. Moz in the woods would've made a very cool videoshoot for 'Black Cloud' :guitar:

Sorry, off-topic :blushing: :D

Tags
polite argument
Back
Top Bottom