Mastering on the new TQID reissue finally revealed - Super Deluxe Edition

Saturday Deluxe / 19 August 2017 - Super Deluxe Edition

Mastering work on the new "The Queen Is Dead" was finally revealed to Super Deluxe Edition from Warner.

There were people wondering whether the set was in fact, remastered, since Johnny Marr suggested his remasters a few years ago, were fairly definitive.

Super Deluxe Edition got word from Warner that Bill Inglot mastered the new set.

Bill Inglot has done a number of mastering projects for The Smiths/Morrissey over the years.
Super Deluxe claims that Morrissey and Marr have approved the audio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advisory, but without apology: This is a slightly nerdy response.

There have do date been three different CD releases of Smiths material marketed as "remastered". By Bill Inglot for The Very Best of the Smiths, by Frank Arkwright and Johnny Marr for The Sound of the Smiths and again by Arkwright and Marr for Complete. But all of these seem to be based on the same transfers to digital, which were presumably done in 2001 or earlier. All three remasters have a similar and very good EQ treatment with more bass and a fuller overall sound than the Rough Trade/Virgin/Sire/Warners CDs that came before. The remasters are also progressively less brickwalled (i.e. their is a trend towards favouring dynamics over loudness). But, in my estimation, there is also some loss of clarity, particularly compared to the Rough Trade and Virgin CDs. Not massive, but noticeable if you compare the old and new versions fairly carefully. It's impossible to be sure why this is the case, but it may well be that the transfer on which the existing remasters are based was carried out using a suboptimal setup and/or using an analogue copy of the master rather than the master itself.

So, there would probably be a benefit to a remaster that was based on a brand new transfer. Maybe it could be argued that the existing remasters are good enough and no-one is likely to actually enjoy the music more. But I'd say that, if you're shelling out again for music you've already purchased, possibly several times, it's not unreasonable to expect the best possible quality.

OTOH, it's possible that no new transfer is involved and we are just getting more-or-less the same thing again, but with a 2017 date for marketing purposes.

Anyway, typing that out filled a little time while I'm waiting for the live Never Had No-one to appear on Spotify.

I'm not the biggest fan of Bill Inglot's mastering. I find a lot of Rhino reissues he's done on the overly compressed side. There actually aren't any remasters he's done that I've thought to myself, "that's the best version I've heard."

This doesn't necessarily bode well either - "SDE’s request (via the label) to discuss with Bill his work on this project was denied. He will not be talking about remastering The Smiths to anyone."

That says to me that if you're looking for something more audiophile with better care taken, the remasters Marr supervised might be the ones to listen to.

But I'll be getting the reissue, anyway, of course.

There are other redeeming qualities about the track list if the audio on the main album falls a little short.

Maybe we'll get lucky, though?

Last edited:
I'm not the biggest fan of Bill Inglot's mastering. I find a lot of Rhino reissues he's done on the overly compressed side. There actually aren't any remasters he's done that I've thought to myself, "that's the best version I've heard."

This doesn't necessarily bode well either - "SDE’s request (via the label) to discuss with Bill his work on this project was denied. He will not be talking about remastering The Smiths to anyone."

That says to me that if you're looking for something more audiophile with better care taken, the remasters Marr supervised might be the ones to listen to.

We'll see what the remaster is like when it is released, I guess. All I'm saying is that there is space for it to be better than we already have, but maybe I'll be disappointed.

NHNE is pretty good, btw. Nottingham.

I honestly don't see the point of *another* remaster. How many slightly different versions of the same song does anyone need? It's been done so many times now. Pointless. Now - if it was a completely different arrangement, or different lyrics, works in progress - that might be worthwhile,
They should get Nicki Minaj to spit some raps over it. :fire::fire::fire:

Why = money - not sure they'll make much though

I thought Warner is the winner in the money issue

Think Morrissey and both Marr are sick about the royalties and issues concerning The Smiths though Johnny should get more praised about remaster the Smiths albums

Last edited:
I thought Warner is the winner in the money issue

Think Morrissey and both Marr are sick about the royalties and issues concerning The Smiths though Johnny should get more praised about remaster the Smiths albums

Don't think anyone will make much - how many copies will it sell?

Don't think anyone will make much - how many copies will it sell?

don't know how many will be released, as for the singles in the UK, they
did very well, point is there are a few items you can buy concerning TQID, and I hope it will be released international [haven't look if I can order it before it get released via a Dutch site ]. I won't dare to say it would outsell Morrissey new album, nothing has new has been played live, let's wait IF and When the new Morrissey album will get released, but this one will do very well, I'm sure, x-my-fingers for a album nr 1 in the UK album charts

did very well, point is there are a few items you can buy concerning TQID, and I hope it will be released international [haven't look if I can order it before it get released via a Dutch site ]. I won't dare to say it would outsell Morrissey new album, nothing has new has been played live, let's wait IF and When the new Morrissey album will get released, but this one will do very well, I'm sure, x-my-fingers for a album nr 1 in the UK album charts

Just what on earth are you mumbling on about ?

I think it will sell low in the High Street

Tags
tqid reissue

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom