Martin Shkreli claims to have unreleased Smiths songs and will release them soon

Yes. When it comes to accused con-artists who are on bail, I find that the best thing is just to take their side of the story at face value.
well i said "if". being presented with another side of the story just made me aware that i probably shouldnt heave grim indictments upon people when i know very little of the facts

The stream I watched was of Martin tweeting his cell number and talking to random people that called him. He only mentioned Daraprim when a caller asked about it. I just read into the story after about an hour of watching him and deciding that he was a genuine nerd with a trolling tough guy mask. Here's some further reading for anyone interested:
There is undeniably some sleazy stuff going on the money side of things but when it hits mostly wealthy investors and big corporations, I can't say I care too much. I don't mind if anyone dislikes or hates the guy, but I didn't form my opinion by simply taking what he says on face-value. Most people agree the price rise was unethical but not illegal, and really he is small potatoes compared to what much bigger companies do all the time. At least the story drew attention to shady practices an entire industry, even if the media and people in general take it out on someone relatively irrelevant. And he plays the villain well too, lol.

The stream I watched was of Martin tweeting his cell number and talking to random people that called him. He only mentioned Daraprim when a caller asked about it. I just read into the story after about an hour of watching him and deciding that he was a genuine nerd with a trolling tough guy mask. Here's some further reading for anyone interested:
There is undeniably some sleazy stuff going on the money side of things but when it hits mostly wealthy investors and big corporations, I can't say I care too much. I don't mind if anyone dislikes or hates the guy, but I didn't form my opinion by simply taking what he says on face-value. Most people agree the price rise was unethical but not illegal, and really he is small potatoes compared to what much bigger companies do all the time. At least the story drew attention to shady practices an entire industry, even if the media and people in general take it out on someone relatively irrelevant. And he plays the villain well too, lol.

Being unethical but not illegal works as an excuse? That only means the law was made to favor labs, not people's interests, which is doubly unethical. That man's activities shouln't have media coverage. He is a genocide and doesn't have the minimal decency as for hiding behind his mansion's walls as others do.

Being unethical but not illegal works as an excuse? That only means the law was made to favor labs, not people's interests, which is doubly unethical. That man's activities shouln't have media coverage. He is a genocide and doesn't have the minimal decency as for hiding behind his mansion's walls as others do.
It's not an excuse, but yes the point is the law allows for it. He raised the price of a drug that very few use and the people who are financially unable for pay get it anyway. The media vilifying him but not others doesn't to me say that he doesn't have the decency to hide, it tells me the media would rather beat up on an irrelevant young guy who has no pull in anything of importance. Hiding behind mansion walls shouldn't get you off the hook, but because those guys have money and control a great portion of pharmaceuticals it does have people looking the other way.

He was of course just trying to stick it to those insurance companies. I mean how was he to know they'd pass along the cost. That would be totally uncommon and unprcidented in his business and for sure probably didn't see it coming. It was a little increase anyway and he didn't want to rip off his investors by denying them larger profit. He was always going to just look for cures for rarer diseases which he would price as low as possible out of the goodness of his heart. Forget the investors at that point. Like the poster above said not many people use that drug anyway so it totally makes sense to jack it's price in order to find drugs for deserves that even less people suffer from. There was no other way. It's not like he's trying to get rich or anything, he's just looking out for the people

It's not an excuse, but yes the point is the law allows for it. He raised the price of a drug that very few use and the people who are financially unable for pay get it anyway. The media vilifying him but not others doesn't to me say that he doesn't have the decency to hide, it tells me the media would rather beat up on an irrelevant young guy who has no pull in anything of importance. Hiding behind mansion walls shouldn't get you off the hook, but because those guys have money and control a great portion of pharmaceuticals it does have people looking the other way.

I don't understand. Being the smallest crook means his actions are excusable because they are legal? Law without social legitimacy produce, in the end, "bad people on the rise". When people perceive the legal and political system as an enemy, they want to destroy the system. That's BAD and DANGEROUS. Powerful people are playing with fire. They are testing social patience.

I don't understand. Being the smallest crook means his actions are excusable because they are legal? Law without social legitimacy produce, in the end, "bad people on the rise". When people perceive the legal and political system as an enemy, they want to destroy the system. That's BAD and DANGEROUS. Powerful people are playing with fire. They are testing social patience.
I. Literally. Said. It's. Not. An. Excuse.
If you are mad, good. You should be. But Martin is nothing, there is a huge system and giant companies that deserve hatred directed at them that are completely overlooked because it's easier to beat up on a nobody.

Ironically, I have to answer a Januvia captcha to even make a post. Drug companies are bad.

He was of course just trying to stick it to those insurance companies. I mean how was he to know they'd pass along the cost. That would be totally uncommon and unprcidented in his business and for sure probably didn't see it coming. It was a little increase anyway and he didn't want to rip off his investors by denying them larger profit. He was always going to just look for cures for rarer diseases which he would price as low as possible out of the goodness of his heart. Forget the investors at that point. Like the poster above said not many people use that drug anyway so it totally makes sense to jack it's price in order to find drugs for deserves that even less people suffer from. There was no other way. It's not like he's trying to get rich or anything, he's just looking out for the people
You didn't read any of the links posted did you? If someone can't afford co-pays they can still get the medicine if they contact Turing. That's not even an entirely charitable act as much as it is just trying (and failing) to make good public image. I've never said he was a saint, just that the price really doesn't effect people in the horrible ways it's been made out to be. Nobody is dying because they can't afford treatment.
And of course he is looking for profit and to get rich. I've called him a financial sleaze. The only bright side to that is he was trying to get rich by developing new drugs in untapped areas. Self-interest and profit can still result in a net good if new drugs are made that'll help other people no one cares to develop for.

I. Literally. Said. It's. Not. An. Excuse.
If you are mad, good. You should be. But Martin is nothing, there is a huge system and giant companies that deserve hatred directed at them that are completely overlooked because it's easier to beat up on a nobody.

Ironically, I have to answer a Januvia captcha to even make a post. Drug companies are bad.

I'm not mad. You are saying it's not an excuse but you are excusing him in your next words saying, in a few words, that there are biggest evils than him.

Last edited:
I'm not mad. You are You are saying it's not an excuse but you are excusing him in your next words saying, in a few words, that there are biggest evils than him.
You misinterpret what I mean by you should be mad. There is legitimate reason not to like the drug company practices in this nation. Including what Martin Shkreli did. I say you should make sure to direct anger at who is responsible for a bad system and who gets off doing much worse than Shkreli. If you have some anger to spare for Martin, that's fine too.

So this guy is a dickhead who releases rare Smiths songs so everyone will like him? Guess I'll have to refer to him as Uncle Shkreli.

You misinterpret what I mean by you should be mad. There is legitimate reason not to like the drug company practices in this nation. Including what Martin Shkreli did. I say you should make sure to direct anger at who is responsible for a bad system and who gets off doing much worse than Shkreli. If you have some anger to spare for Martin, that's fine too.

There's more than one level of responsibility. The system designed to protect huge earnings of pharmaceutical companies and not people's health is the fertile ground. Then you have people like this person or others who could make a good action helping people to recover their health without resigning more than reasonable earnings, but instead they decide to take advantage of the state of desperation of defenseless ill people and their families in a shameful way and they don't hesitate about ruining lives and futures to increase their loot.
Then, in another turn of increasing malice (incredibly, that's possible) this vulture waste part of those earnings buying old pop records to show to the rest of the world he can afford to do it, leaking one record at the time to the hungry masses, as if he were throwing food to a monkeys cage. Can this be more disgustingly unfair and devoid of human dignity?

There's more than one level of responsibility. The system designed to protect huge earnings of pharmaceutical companies and not people's health is the fertile ground. Then you have people like this person or others who could make a good action helping people to recover their health without resigning more than reasonable earnings, but instead they decide to take advantage of the state of desperation of defenseless ill people and their families in a shameful way and they don't hesitate about ruining lives and futures to increase their loot.
Then, in another turn of increasing malice (incredibly, that's possible) this vulture waste part of those earnings buying old pop records to show to the rest of the world he can afford to do it, leaking one record at the time to the hungry masses, as if he were throwing food to a monkeys cage. Can this be more disgustingly unfair and devoid of human dignity?

Yip. That's it.
Nailed it. :thumb:

Tags
the smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom