Martin Rossiter

patten

Does any other Gene fan know what Martin Rossiter is doing at the moment?
I'm a huge Gene fan and I miss them.

hallo sir. as far as i know, he's left the music business, altogether. apparently, he works as a vocal coach for aspiring singers (which is still musical, obviously, but you know what i mean). gene were great.

Martin lives in Brighton and teaches young people to make music. I think the scheme was originally funded by the Brighton Council but it proved to be very popular and he now has a full time job doing it. I think he teaches how to write & produce music.
He's got a beautiful house in Central Brighton (Kemp Town).
I see him from time to time and say hello!

And Yes, Gene were Great! There was a recent CD release (February 2007) of John Peel Sessions. Great Stuff!

I was never really impressed with Gene.

Sorry to kill the buzz.

I miss them too :(
Their 1995 gig in Milan was breath-taking, I think Martin mentions that concert in their 'Gene Live' double DVD.

Martin lives in Brighton and teaches young people to make music. I think the scheme was originally funded by the Brighton Council but it proved to be very popular and he now has a full time job doing it. I think he teaches how to write & produce music.
He's got a beautiful house in Central Brighton (Kemp Town).
I see him from time to time and say hello!

It's funny how some bands seem to be very comfortably off while not having sold many records yet you hear of bands that have sold millions ending up with nothing. It must be almost a lottery depending on what contract you sign.

He was on TV last year on one of those 'Grand Designs' type programmes - I thought Gene were touring recently?

Actually it was 'Other People's Houses'.

http://www.nme.com/news/gene/11747

MARTIN ROSSITER has been bitten by the home improvement bug.

The singer invited cameras from Channel 4's 'Other People's Houses' round to film his home's transformation from a run-of-the-mill Brighton terrace into a model of minimalist chic.

"The show's basically a nosy around people's houses looking at how they chose to do up their homes," said Lucy Shanahan of Talkback Productions, which makes the show. "This week we followed the story of Martin and Julie Rossiter in their Victorian terrace in Brighton. "Having previously lived in a flat, their main goal was to create a home that feels light and spacious."

The show's resident design guru was called in to direct the estimated £50,000 makeover and the project lasted several months.
"Martin had very clear ideas about how he wanted it, it wasn't just a case of a bit of decoration," said a spokesperson for GENE.

The spokesperson added: "He went for a modern, minimalist style, very white and pristine with downlighters and wodden floors. It was a complete wreck at the beginning so it's a pretty dramatic transformation.
"They were also lucky that they managed to get some of the power tools supplied for free."

He was on TV last year on one of those 'Grand Designs' type programmes - I thought Gene were touring recently?

Actually it was 'Other People's Houses'.

http://www.nme.com/news/gene/11747

MARTIN ROSSITER has been bitten by the home improvement bug.

The singer invited cameras from Channel 4's 'Other People's Houses' round to film his home's transformation from a run-of-the-mill Brighton terrace into a model of minimalist chic.

"The show's basically a nosy around people's houses looking at how they chose to do up their homes," said Lucy Shanahan of Talkback Productions, which makes the show. "This week we followed the story of Martin and Julie Rossiter in their Victorian terrace in Brighton. "Having previously lived in a flat, their main goal was to create a home that feels light and spacious."

The show's resident design guru was called in to direct the estimated £50,000 makeover and the project lasted several months.
"Martin had very clear ideas about how he wanted it, it wasn't just a case of a bit of decoration," said a spokesperson for GENE.

The spokesperson added: "He went for a modern, minimalist style, very white and pristine with downlighters and wodden floors. It was a complete wreck at the beginning so it's a pretty dramatic transformation.
"They were also lucky that they managed to get some of the power tools supplied for free."

oh dear

oh dear

oh dear.

I once met him at a party in Manchester, in 97. We chatted for a few minutes, but the more he spoke, the more I found myself disliking him.

I saw him a few years ago on Bargain Hunt, or something like that?

Gene are one of the most underrated bands ever. They deserve much more fame and popularity. Seen them live and also met them all at a fan convention in Manchester in 1997. Tony Grantham from Marion was also there (another excellent group were the majority of the british public have failed to recognise and appreciate such immense talent!)

"The new Smiths?" Can't remember their image or sound reminiscent of The Smiths whatsoever.

As for Jaime. Can you name many famous peole who have lived clean, quiet and innocent lifestyles? Cliff Richard maybe? Doesn't mean they are all unintellectual, talentless and unworthy of any appreciation of the qualities they possess.

Gene are one of the most underrated bands ever. They deserve much more fame and popularity.

i wouldn't say "one of the most underrated ever", but certainly very underrated and deserving of more attention than most of the "britpop" nonsense which was being lauded at the time.

(i remember seeing marion when they supported mr. morrissey. i thought they were mostly rubbish, but i did really like a single they put out.)

i'm so interesting.

Gene were 7 years ahead of their time, which made them about 10 years after their time. At least.

This does actually make sense.

Martin Rossiter is/ was an honorary president of my local football club for unknown reasons. (Think he was born in Cardiff or something) Other famous fans include:

Philip Schofield
Super Furry Animals
Neil Kinnock
Stanley Baker (!?!)
David Sullivan
Gareth Thomas
Charlotte Church
Jeremy Bowen
Pritchard from Dirty Sanchez. (I know as I've been down the City with him! Bit of name droppping for you there!)

Gene were 7 years ahead of their time, which made them about 10 years after their time. At least.

This does actually make sense.

Martin Rossiter is/ was an honorary president of my local football club for unknown reasons. (Think he was born in Cardiff or something) Other famous fans include:

Philip Schofield
Super Furry Animals
Neil Kinnock
Stanley Baker (!?!)
David Sullivan
Gareth Thomas
Charlotte Church
Jeremy Bowen
Pritchard from Dirty Sanchez. (I know as I've been down the City with him! Bit of name droppping for you there!)

I tried to convince him to play for my beloved Milan AC, back in the day :D

10fs.jpg

I always thought that Rossiter was like Moz but without the subtlety, the sharpness and the humour.
Having said that, some of those early songs were flipping great.
Here's my Gene top 10.

1. Where are they now? (eerily prophetic!)
2. I can't hely myself
3. London, can't you wait
4. We'll find our own way
5. Please be my light
6. Still can't find the phone
7. Long sleeves for the summer
8. Save me
9. Haunted by you
10. You'll never walk alone

Back
Top Bottom