Marr rips off ABBA

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
Talking Smiths/Moz in the pub last night, and my mate Steve said "Have you ever noticed how the piano line in Oscillate Wildly is nicked note-for-note from the chorus of S.O.S by ABBA?"

He may have a point.

I'll get me coat.

Peter

The Sex Pistols' ''Pretty Vacant'' riff was pinched from Abba's ''SOS'' according to Glen Matlock's book ''I was A Teenage Sex Pistol'' - Matlock wrote the tune so he should know!

ok I just listened to the ABBA song. sounds like he used the same notes and chords in parts, but its a completely different chord progression and rhythm.

That's why I'm writing a broadway musical similar to Mamma Mia, but with Smiths songs.

I've always thought SOS sounded very smiths like in the guitar anyway if nothing else. Even stranger is that this is supposedly the one he stole from???

so what?
it's still a bloody good song.

Can something without lyrics be called a song, or is it a tune?

Am i being anal, or just a generall smelly arse?

dom x

Last edited:
The main guitar riff on 'Does Your Mother Know?' always made me think of The Skids....but now I s'pose I really am oscillating wildly...!

Ive recently noticed that one of the songs from the film "Grease" i think its called we go together reminds me of This charming man,any comments?
Skinny, i too will get me coat.
Alan

Ive recently noticed that one of the songs from the film "Grease" i think its called we go together reminds me of This charming man,any comments?

That's awesome; I'll have to listen to Grease again when I get home. I always thought that TCM sounded like a number of Supremes songs, like "You Can't Hurry Love." They'd make a fun mash-up, anyway.

Boy, is that some stretch of the imagination?! Sounds nothing like "SOS".

the whole songs sounds nothing like SOS but the keyboard line in the 'verse' to Oscillate does have a similar melody to the "so when you're near me, darling can you hear me" vocal...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom