Marr plays with REM on encore Fall On Me

dothewatusi

From the StarTribune in Minneapolis describing the St Paul show on Thursday, 6/5

"With eight numbers from that politicized album dominating the generous 27-song set, the guitars, not Stipe, were the star of the show. Peter Buck never cut loose with any solos that would have landed him on the cover of Rolling Stone with rock’s greatest guitarists, but his fluid, slashing riffs and sideman Scott McCaughey’s relentless rhythmic strumming drove the sound. Buck’s Rickenbacker guitar was stinging on 'Man-Sized Wreath,' and the unshowy guitarist found a giddy Who-like groove on 'Supernatural Superserious.' Buck finally stepped forward a bit on the encore of the dreamy 'Fall on Me' as British guitar hero Johnny Marr, now with opening act Modest Mouse, joined him."

I knew it was only a matter of time before Johnny would be playing on stage with REM. :guitar:

Last edited:
OMG, "Fall On Me" is one of my favorite R.E.M songs and I worship Johnny. I NEED TO SEE VIDEO!!!!!:D

After all these years, the oft-compared musical styles come together at last.
Guitar heaven for me.

oh sweeet! I'm seeing them in Philly in less then two weeks with my hawt date Skinner! I'm even more excited now! weee! :D

I was just coming over here to post this... yes, last night in Chicago, Stipe introduced Johnny Marr and he sat in on Fall On Me... it was lovely. Actually, I couldn't really hear anything distinctively Marr there, but it was nice to see two of my longtime favorites onstage together: 75% of REM and 50% of the Smiths.

Also, Stipe introduced the song "Electrolyte" by saying that in the very late 90s he used to go driving on Mulholland Drive with friends, and they'd stare mesmerized by the lights of Los Angeles below. The song goes on to namecheck Steve McQueen and James Dean, and it made me wonder who else might have been in the car with him on those nights...

Anyway, Marr looked very well and very happy. Good to see.

Last edited:
...it was nice to see two of my longtime favorites onstage together: 75% of REM and 50% of the Smiths.

Misc-OhSnap.jpg

Also, Stipe introduced the song "Electrolyte" by saying that in the very late 90s he used to go driving on Mulholland Drive with friends, and they'd stare mesmerized by the lights of Los Angeles below. The song goes on to namecheck Steve McQueen and James Dean, and it made me wonder who else might have been in the car with him on those nights...

Natalie Merchant?

I was just coming over here to post this... yes, last night in Chicago, Stipe introduced Johnny Marr and he sat in on Fall On Me... it was lovely. Actually, I couldn't really hear anything distinctively Marr there, but it was nice to see two of my longtime favorites onstage together: 75% of REM and 50% of the Smiths.

Anyway, Marr looked very well and very happy. Good to see.

Wish I had gone... I'm glad you had a good time, Pregs. Thanks for the cell picture :) Hope you don't have too much of a Mozza wine hangover today ;)

ace pictures, like a professional... shame modest mouse are not playing on the uk tour. instead we get stuck with the reject bands like gueillamots & editors. last time they played uk shows they had decent support from Feeder & the ok Zutons. feeder alone brought everyone in early, i cant see people turning up early for gueillamots or whatever they are called

Ohh thank you!! Those pictures and video made me very happy!!!:)
I think I'm going to go see Modest Mouse in like 3 weeks, even though there's no R.E.M., I'm going to see Johnny and will melt a little!!:p
Modest Mouse, all by themselves, is all you need! Stand a little left of center. :guitar:

I'm so jealous to everyone who gets to see Buck and Marr onstage together. I was at the Hollywood Bowl show hoping that happen but it didn't I'm so mad. Had a great time anyway ended up being front row and got some amazing photos.

Here's some pics. Have no clue why they are so huge. I resized them twice. Anyway here they are.

100_3002.jpg

100_3008.jpg

100_3104.jpg

Back
Top Bottom