Marr discussions

That is a very unhealthy grudge you have there.
Metaphorically, you are drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.

Move on.
And it's working, you, for example šŸ˜‰

Its really laughable...

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ yes 50000 were there for the small john, yeah right. Tho he's just an accessory for the bands, he always needed someone else's, and that's a fact.

Well he's managed to live rent-free in your head. You're the one who brought him up. Not sure what you're expecting to accomplish.

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ yes 50000 were there for the small john, yeah right. Tho he's just an accessory for the bands, he always needed someone else's, and that's a fact.
FXTziU-WQAI1J9T.jpeg

Still he needs Morrissey. M can play a gig without playing any single smiths song (like he has done before) and getting sold out shows. But this little man can't. So successful indeed.

But everyone wants to hear the Smiths songs. I know I do. I don't think any of Morrissey's Vegas shows sold out though, sorry. Now if Morrissey played all these Smiths songs, it might be a different story.

Still he needs Morrissey. M can play a gig without playing any single smiths song (like he has done before) and getting sold out shows. But this little man can't. So successful indeed.
Completely agree, Marr will never see the success M did, he just is not that talented. A setlist with only 9 songs, most of which are Smiths and 1 Electronic, then his very awful solo stuff does not scream success. It's even more glaring after all the fantastic shows M just had and will be doing more, HIMSELF, not as an opener. M will be playing to his own audiences, not Alicia Keyes, Eddie Vedders, Blondie or Killers or any other stage Marr can jump on. After the publicity blitz over the new album, this is completely embarassing for him.

Completely agree, Marr will never see the success M did, he just is not that talented. A setlist with only 9 songs, most of which are Smiths and 1 Electronic, then his very awful solo stuff does not scream success. It's even more glaring after all the fantastic shows M just had and will be doing more, HIMSELF, not as an opener. M will be playing to his own audiences, not Alicia Keyes, Eddie Vedders, Blondie or Killers or any other stage Marr can jump on. After the publicity blitz over the new album, this is completely embarassing for him.

I don't understand how that is embarrassing for him? He is playing for huge audiences and all those musicians are his friends or people he's worked with before. Why not play with them if he is asked? People just love him! He's a huge talent. And really, what's it to you? This is a Morrissey forum.

The hate some have for Johnny Marr is really scary. Pathological, obsessive, Mark David Chapman stuff.

The hate some have for Johnny Marr is really scary. Pathological, obsessive, Mark David Chapman stuff.

Yes itā€™s very odd but many on here go to see both play live and buy both Morrissey and Marrā€™s records. Not sure why some think Marr should be embarrassed, heā€™s just had his 4th top 10 album and Spirit Power and Soul was in the physical charts for 20 weeks, I'm sure he will be happy with that.

Yes itā€™s very odd but many on here go to see both play live and buy both Morrissey and Marrā€™s records. Not sure why some think Marr should be embarrassed, heā€™s just had his 4th top 10 album and Spirit Power and Soul was in the physical charts for 20 weeks, I'm sure he will be happy with that.
Yes. And Iā€™m sure heā€™s very pleased with both the respect and love he receives from his peers and his fans and the enduring influence he has on guitar-based alternative pop/rock.
Marr has been a solo artist and a singer for barely ten years. Moz since 1988. Prior to 1988, Moz was the singer in one of the most influential bands of all time and the voice of a generation. Marr was the (incomparable) composer and guitarist of that same band. Itā€™s only natural that Moz is the more famous solo artist of the two (it would be sad if he wasnā€™t) . And to compare the two as solo artists isnā€™t doing anyone of them any favors. You should compare Morrissey to people like Nick Cave, and Marr to, I donā€™t know, Noel Gallagher.

Marr has been a solo artist since Boomslang, as much as people would like to forget that. He probably would too. The correct comparison would be Morrissey's first 20 years solo to Marr's first 20 years solo, in other words, no contest. Noel is far more talented than Marr and puts on a much better show, he can sing and he can also write songs, none of which Marr can do.

Marr has been a solo artist since Boomslang, as much as people would like to forget that. He probably would too. The correct comparison would be Morrissey's first 20 years solo to Marr's first 20 years solo, in other words, no contest. Noel is far more talented than Marr and puts on a much better show, he can sing and he can also write songs, none of which Marr can do.
Boomslang was one album back in ā€˜03, and then nothing for ten years. Canā€™t really say heā€™s been a solo artist for 20 years.

Whether or not NG is more talented than JM is entirely subjective and wasnā€™t at all what I was getting at.

Boomslang was one album back in ā€˜03, and then nothing for ten years. Canā€™t really say heā€™s been a solo artist for 20 years.

Whether or not NG is more talented than JM is entirely subjective and wasnā€™t at all what I was getting at.
Yes, one can really say he's been a solo artist for 2o years, this is not negated because he took a really long break between solo albums. It's ok for people to dislike him, it doesn't make them deadly stalkers. He's done a lot of trashing of Morrissey and even the Smiths, which has not gone over well with people who were previously inclined to be his fans, even supporting him through his less than mediocre solo work. He has talked up this latest album so much and it's a complete flop, he can barely play it live, the audience does not like it. So now he's resorted to a 9 song setlist, very Smiths heavy, as an opener. He's failed. Chart positions do not matter, people in the seats at your own shows do.

Nice review of Johnny's set at Hyde Park.

Marr indulges fans by performing classic Smiths tracks amidst his solo material, teasingly asking, ā€œDoes anyone have any requests?ā€. Single Armatopia sets things off, but the guitarist soon reverts to older classic Panic, while Spirit Power and Soul (Fever Dreams PTS 1-4), is infused in 80s sonic pulses. Marr continually demonstrates his genius, while the cameras zoom in on his expert guitar playing. With songs such as This Charming Man, How Soon Is Now and There Is a Light That Never Goes Out completing the set (ā€œdedicated to Eddie and the boysā€), the famed Mancunian reinforces his status as a prominent figure in the music scene. Performing the lesser known Getting Away With It, from his work with the supergroup Electronic, Marr never fails to entertain.

Last edited:
Yes, one can really say he's been a solo artist for 2o years, this is not negated because he took a really long break between solo albums. It's ok for people to dislike him, it doesn't make them deadly stalkers. He's done a lot of trashing of Morrissey and even the Smiths, which has not gone over well with people who were previously inclined to be his fans, even supporting him through his less than mediocre solo work. He has talked up this latest album so much and it's a complete flop, he can barely play it live, the audience does not like it. So now he's resorted to a 9 song setlist, very Smiths heavy, as an opener. He's failed. Chart positions do not matter, people in the seats at your own shows do.

10 songs of which 5 were Smiths. You say chart positions do not matter yet Morrissey is absolutely obsessed with chart positions.

10 songs of which 5 were Smiths. You say chart positions do not matter yet Morrissey is absolutely obsessed with chart positions.
Surface, you say this to me about Morrissey and chart positions all the time. Morrissey's opinions on chart positions have nothing to do with Marr not being able to tour on this album in front of audiences of his own. Morrissey is able to do that and is now touring despite no album release. He is probably counting his untold millions as we speak, I think he just made a bundle.
I really think it best you and I avoid the subject of Marr. I don't like him, you do, just agree to disagree, it's not that serious.

I think it is negated. He did one album with the Healers, then went straight back to being a hired hand and member of different bands for ten years. If he had just taken a long break between albums and not done anything else, and if the Boomslang album was a proper solo album like The Messenger was, then I would agree with you.

Moz has also been quite disparaging about The Smiths (ā€œwe were never really friendsā€, he claimed in the Larry King interview, despite the fact claiming during the Smiths years that his only friends were the members of The Smiths, and in 1994 claiming that he loved JM. And in The Importance documentary, he said that we could draw parallels between his depression during the Smiths and the fact that he was in the Smiths). I donā€™t think either of them regrets being in The Smiths and I think they say shit like this just to stir the pot or be obstinate.

Itā€™s quite normal for an opening act to play a short set. Iā€™m not going out on a limb by saying that I think his regular set is longer than nine songs.

I donā€™t have any attendance numbers for any regular Marr gigs, but I think itā€™s safe to assume that such an influential figure can draw a couple of thousand per gig. Kind of like Moz nowadays. But I wouldnā€™t be surprised if Moz is the bigger draw. He should be. His solo career is longer and more influential and legendary than Marrā€™s. Again, the comparison is silly. Moz deserves to be compared with equals like Nick Cave. Letā€™s do that.

You are such a liar. When has Johnny disparaged the Smiths? And heā€™s only told truth about his relationship with Morrissey. Heā€™s never been cruel about that. Some people canā€™t handle the truth.

Also I know where you got that setlist you posted - from a band memberā€™s IG Stories. Thatā€™s some creepy stalker behavior for someone like you. Youā€™re the one who should be embarrassed, coming on a Morrissey site to criticize someone that hasnā€™t worked with Moz for 35 years. But you canā€™t help yourself because you are obsessed. Have I got that right?

Back
Top Bottom