Markie Winslow incident in Fairmount Indiana 1988 from Morrissey's "Autobiography" challenged

Kevin Cavanaugh writes:

Morrissey-solo – hands down – I was in Fairmount during filming ----- and what he writes never happened:

page 296:

"I am approached by an elderly farmhand who speaks in a whisper. He has James Dean’s signature from 1949, and he is prepared to sell it to me for $3,000. I ask to see it, and out comes a school yearbook with the Dean signature written mid-page in pencil. the man runs off when Markie (Winslow - cousin of James Dean - who grew up with him in the Winslow household) appears, waving something at me.

'Did you write this?' he asks me sternly.

He is holding what unfortunately became an essay written by me in the late 1970's entitled James Dead is Not Dean yet irritatingly printed by a Manchester workshop as James Dean is Not Dead. A dreadful heap of 70s juvenilia, the essay brought me 40 useful pounds when nothing else could, and I had no idea that it would turn into a bookish presentation that would haunt me till death's sigh. My head shamefully tilts, and Markie storms off, and minutes later we are of the premises. Thankfully, we had all of the filming we needed, but there were no friendly mid-western waves as we chugged away from the farm."​

This is complete crap ~ !!!!

As a family friend of Markie Winslow and as a witness to the SUEDEHEAD video shoot on the last day of shooting FEB 8 1988 - this "book waving" NEVER happened. The Winslow Family NEVER saw a copy of the book "James Dean Is Not Dead"

I am confirming that on the morning of FEB 8 1988 – it was I that presented MOZ with a copy of this book that morning 11am where upon meeting in him and Gail Colson in their "section van" (with half a dozen US pressings of SMITHS LP's to be gleefully autographed!) - he begged that the family Winslow NOT see this book. My friend Bob - (who was the big friend of The Winslow family) and I agreed TO MORRISSEY - after he signed the book! - to never show the family. Its not like anyone in Fairmount, Indiana could buy the book at your ordinary book store (where would the family FIND this book?!) and why would we surrender our autographed copy after driving 6 and one half hours to be there that day ???

Complete bullshit – we stayed True To Him – and it MOZ that came with MTV 3 years later at our record store in Grand Rapids (only to meet and swap kisses again): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESZDRaSoxNU to premier “Your Arsenal” – we thought he was there to “return the favor” of not disclosing the book to family ---------

Really hard to read anymore of “Auto.....” heroes down ---- onward onward Kevin Cavanaugh

Related item:

Last edited:
this is almost impossible to make sense of...

poorly written. maybe he could give it another go - then we can all try to make sense of this.

When trying to clarify a situation it's best to have at least a moderate grasp of the english language...

- marred.

I think he's trying to say James Dean's cousin Markie did not wave the book Morrissey was embarrassed of, that actually great lengths to hide the book from Markie were made and it was the author of this statement who was waving the book. In short, I think the author feels sour that Morrissey is not acknowledging he hid the book from Markie? :squiffy: I dunno...

I'm sure it's all very important that Morrissey is a LIAR!!!!!! for forgetting who was waving a book at him over 20 years ago. Have you seen a photo of Morrissey and fans? EVERYONE IS WAVING BOOKS!

Every one relax...I think this is just a statement from a fan that was surprised Morrissey would take liberty with an event just for drama. I think it's a case of "well, if he changed this to fit his needs...then what else is changed?.." I think we can all agree that fact and fiction will cross often in the pages of this book...

What about the yearbook offer? Never happened? There was no yearbook, only the Dean book written by Moz, which he signed for Kevin--the real book waver?

why did it take him so long to respond is my question ... surely he knew of this passage since the book has been out almost two weeks.

Last edited:
why did it take him so long to respond is my question ... surley he knew of this passage since the book has been out almost two weeks.

Do you think a guy that writes like that can whip through a 450+ page book in less than three weeks?

Do you think a guy that writes like that can whip through a 450+ page book in less than three weeks?

I don't know why but I haven't been able to stop chuckling after reading this. A very Morrissey-esque put down.

That wasn't convincing. Why would Morrissey lie? What would he gain exactly?

That wasn't convincing. Why would Morrissey lie? What would he gain exactly?

Why? To make the book more dramatically interesting, you dolt. Of course the book is full of exaggerations, half-truths, and down-right lies. Or do you really think no birds sang in Manchester when Morrissey was a child?

All writers lie. Especially those writing autobiographies. Otherwise the results would be very, very boring.

'We went and filmed the Suedehead video in Fairmont, and all the Dean family were very nice' may be factually correct, but it's boring as f***, so why wouldn't he change the story?

Good analyzation CG.

And I wonder why Moz was so embarrassed by the book. I read it back in the 90s. Good read. The one thing I remember from it was that Natalie Wood (or was it Elizabeth Taylor?) gave James Dean a kitten and then he handed it back. (Inspiration for handing back a Chihuahua!!! The second most killed breed in U.S. shelters after the pit bull! Whose dogs are those in the "Throwing Arms Around Paris" video anyway?)

NotLiterallyButMetaphorically

I think he's trying to say James Dean's cousin Markie did not wave the book Morrissey was embarrassed of, that actually great lengths to hide the book from Markie were made and it was the author of this statement who was waving the book. In short, I think the author feels sour that Morrissey is not acknowledging he hid the book from Markie? :squiffy: I dunno...

I'm sure it's all very important that Morrissey is a LIAR!!!!!! for forgetting who was waving a book at him over 20 years ago. Have you seen a photo of Morrissey and fans? EVERYONE IS WAVING BOOKS!

I kind of got the feeling that the whole "Markie waved a copy of James Dean is Not Dead" story was fabricated. Where in the hell is some old man in the middle of Fairmount, Indiana going to find a rare copy of that boutique book? I live in LA and it took me years to track down my copy--pre eBay.

I, and a lot of other people, predicted this: Morrissey's autobiography was going to contain a lot of revisionist history. You can't read the book and expect linear truth telling. It's as much to build up the myth of himself as it is to take unchallenged shots at those who, in his eyes, have wronged him.

A grain of salt when you read the book.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom