Market gap: Album lyric booklets

• Thread starter Deleted member 25370
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25370

Here is an idea to fill a gap in the music market and earn a million dollars!

The new and amazing album lyric booklet!

Question: are you sick of looking up lyrics online while listening to your fav music, or even worse, try to read miniature lyrics on album covers until you collapse vomitting your eyes out?

Well, here is the solution to all your problems that will lift you up to music heaven immediately.

The new and amazing album lyric booklet!!

1)
20200410_114240~2_copy_1280x640.jpg

Normal word format will do. Horizontal with two columns. I chose batang size 14 as fonts, so that i can wear my headphones without having to painfully squeeze my reading glasses inbetween the ears and phones. I hate in-ear headphones. Only pimps wear them.
Each piece of paper is printed on both sides and then folded in the middle. This means, you have to start in the 4th column (2nd one on the back side) and then continue with the 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

2)
Some examples...
20200410_114252_copy_1024x512.jpg

3)
Then the whole thang is stapled three times, or even more, doesnt matter.
20200410_114844_copy_512x1024~2.jpg

4)
View of the outside...
20200410_114914~2_copy_1076x960.jpg

5)
... and of the inside...
20200410_114937_copy_1024x512.jpg

Some more examples...
20200410_114952~2_copy_1431x959.jpg

20200410_115002_copy_1024x512.jpg

20200410_115020_copy_1024x512.jpg

6)
This lyric booklet can easily be shoved into a vinyl cover, which makes perfect sense!
20200410_115207~2_copy_1451x960.jpg

7)
Headphones on, music on, feet up...
20200410_115324~2.jpg

...and everyone's happy as a cat.

The new and amazing album lyric booklet for the far-sighted can be sold as an extra that comes with the vinyl print, or separately via a prestigious publishing house like penguin, for example.

Nobody wants to collapse under a heavy and bulky 1000-page lyric anthology while trying to relax when listening to her or his fav album, no!
nice, small 'n' slim, thats how we like 'em.

Last edited by a moderator:
In pic 6, you've got staples resting on the vinyl. Be careful that they don't damage the record if you intend on keeping it inside the album sleeve. Use a tiny bit of glue next time if I was you.

Cool idea though. Don't know about the pics of Morrissey though. Maybe have some at the back?

Also, you could compile Morrissey's lyrics chronologically and get a book made. There must be a company online that could do that.

One 30 page hardcover with dust jacket on Create My Books costs around £15.

Nice idea, however I'd have the staples the opposite way, with the flat head showing on the front cover, and the folded over legs underneath so as to not spoil the initial presentation...unless you did this intentionally so as to not risk damage to the disc?

In pic 6, you've got staples resting on the vinyl. Be careful that they don't damage the record if you intend on keeping it inside the album sleeve. Use a tiny bit of glue next time if I was you.

Cool idea though. Don't know about the pics of Morrissey though. Maybe have some at the back?

thanks for mentioning the staples on the vinyl. wasnt aware of that.

for home use some sellotape will do, and a warning on the title leaf. but actually i wanted the space to remain empty for morrissey to sign it next time i see him.
20200410_190337_copy_512x1024.jpg

what exactly do you mean with pictures of morrissey at the back?

I love the idea of creating individual hardback lyric books for each album of Morrissey's.

Have a look here:

i am very much aware of these createmybook companies, and as i will get in big production with my idea sooner than later to earn a million dollars/euros asap, the co-operation contract has already be signed with one of them, the idea patented a dozen times, copyright issues solved and settled with the morrissey company.
:greenbook::closedbook::ledger:???????

Nice idea, however I'd have the staples the opposite way, with the flat head showing on the front cover, and the folded over legs underneath so as to not spoil the initial presentation...unless you did this intentionally so as to not risk damage to the disc?
thank you, yes, i wasnt aware of it when i stapled this first prototype.

i have an eco-stapler too that doesnt use clips but somehow punches a hole and then sort of weaves the resulting paper slips into each other so that they remain entangled and hold the pieces of paper together.
i will try it for the next album lyric booklet.

Ordinarily, staples are inserted into the central spine, or fold of the paper, from the outside to the inside. It's difficult though with a standard home stapler as it isn't long enough to reach to the middle/fold area. However, you can lay your folded document face down on a flat surface, even on carpet might work, open it wide (A4 I guess) and then force staples through the fold from outside to in, then manually fold the legs on the inside of the fold. Then refold the booklet to give you a nice finish, and no risk of disc damage.

No problem. I'm sure you said we were going 50/50 anyway on this venture??

Ordinarily, staples are inserted into the central spine, or fold of the paper, from the outside to the inside. It's difficult though with a standard home stapler as it isn't long enough to reach to the middle/fold area. However, you can lay your folded document face down on a flat surface, even on carpet might work, open it wide (A4 I guess) and then force staples through the fold from outside to in, then manually fold the legs on the inside of the fold. Then refold the booklet to give you a nice finish, and no risk of disc damage.

i see what you mean. difference to my prototype is, that the pieces of paper in your method are not individually folded before stapling. i could try your method this next time but this would mean that i will have to put more thought into how the lyrics are pasted on all the available pages.

instead of staples, i could use a needle and thread, which would add a homely quality to the lyric booklet. but of course, these things usually dont last long.

i see what you mean. difference to my prototype is, that the pieces of paper in your method are not individually folded before stapling. i could try your method this next time but this would mean that i will have to put more thought into how the lyrics are pasted on all the available pages.

instead of staples, i could use a needle and thread, which would add a homely quality to the lyric booklet. but of course, these things usually dont last long.

Yes, you would need to organise your print job differently.
Sewing is a quaint idea, but you'd need to double or triple sew it I guess, otherwise it would be very weak.

Yes, you would need to organise your print job differently.
Sewing is a quaint idea, but you'd need to double or triple sew it I guess, otherwise it would be very weak.
yeah, i'll try the eco-stapler next time and then think about a newly organized print job.

the initial idea was to have a lyric booklet that you do not have to search on the book shelves or elsewhere. but something you'll find easily before listening, something to grab which is not too heavy.

thank you, yes, i wasnt aware of it when i stapled this first prototype.

i have an eco-stapler too that doesnt use clips but somehow punches a hole and then sort of weaves the resulting paper slips into each other so that they remain entangled and hold the pieces of paper together.
i will try it for the next album lyric booklet.
Yes, they look really good and the staples stand out as a compromise. This eco-stapler sounds good, or maybe some stitching or glue if the glue could be applied uniformly. It depends how much trouble you want to go to but they do look really good and deserve better than staples.

Tried the eco-stapler on a second cs prototype...
Had to separately eco-staple two parts as the stapler was not strong enough to go through all pages.
20200412_191443~2_copy_1920x960.jpg

Some pages looked quite okay from the inside, but the binding margin has to be wider
20200412_191649~2_copy_640x1280_copy_1280x640.jpg

Otherwise, lots of squeezin and back-pushin necessary to be able to read the beginnings of the lyric lines. Most punch-holes were subsequently torn apart.
20200412_191738~2_copy_928x629.jpg

Looks all shaky and slack.
20200412_191857_copy_640x320.jpg

Had to use cellotape again to prevent the punch-holes from unravelling and falling apart. Doesnt look that good, esp in the middle.
20200412_193702~2_copy_640x887.jpg

Outside okay though...
20200412_193841~2_copy_640x1280.jpg

20200412_193835~2.jpg

The end result. Scratch-risk limited to cat claws.
20200413_113223~2_copy_1176x603.jpg

20200413_113240~2.jpg

Resumé: the outside looks better and is safer than the first prototype with clip staples. The inside looks, compared to the first one, kind of loose-fittingly assembled and will collapse any second.

Can’t say if there’s a market for them but they do look very nicely put together

Has anyone compiled Morrissey's lyrics into a book via one of those make your own book sites? Must admit, I'm tempted to try. I'd create two books. Morrissey's lyrics with The Smiths and his solo lyrics. Plain dust jacket and covers are the way to go I think. Portrait on the inside flaps of the dust jackets with some info. Discography info at the back of the books.

Can’t say if there’s a market for them but they do look very nicely put together
thank you. enjoy it actually when there is no pressure.

i personally think that all vinyls should come with the new and amazing album lyric booklet from now on. they would also make nice collectors' items esp. if the song lyrics were curated by morrissey himself.

there could also be a presentable hardcover bookshelf edition
for those who want it all nicely bound together, anthology-like, like those 700-page, 10 kilo- bob dylan lyric anthologies covering decades of his song writing.
i see penguin classics publishing colorful album lyric collections in hardcover too, all insightfully curated by morrissey.

as i said, momentarily, i dont want another item for the bookshelf but a handy and slim booklet in BIG FONTS that doesnt break my nose when it falls on my face and can easily be found in the vinyl jacket.

Those look great, Lanterns. I'm really fascinated by that stuff; I've done quite a few DIY chapbooks myself and it's always been a pain in the ass because I am totally uncoordinated and not even remotely artistic but it's definitely a labor of love, and to have the finished product in my hands always makes up for the swearing and kicking and throwing of supplies across the room in frustration that it took to get there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom