Mark E. Smith on Your Arsenal - Select magazine 1992

This Charming Sam

In 1992, Select magazine provided Your Arsenal reviews by 17 "top pop celebrities", including Linder, Johnny Rogan, Billy Bragg and Brett Anderson. I couldn't find them on this forum, but here's the link to one of the reviews. It's by Mark E. Smith. I would be pleased if someone could post links to transcripts of the others.
http://shoreshop.tripod.com/morr.htm

Re: Mark E. Smith on Your Arsenal

Thank you very much for the link.
Very surprised that MES gave positive comments on some tracks.

I've checked http://motorcycleaupairboy.com, unfortunately the site doesn't have transcript of Select 1992.

Last edited:
Re: Mark E. Smith about Your Arsenal

National Front Disco and 'Certain People I Know'

"There is a rampant cottage industry developing in this country, I call it "information anxiety" whereby if you are not up on what some illiterate graduate in the Observer says about: soccer, fascism, service in hotels, people in jeans and trainers - you are in some way 'out of touch'. This places Morrissey in the realm he should not be in: that of Robbie Coltrane, Vaudevillean wise-ass who pontificates about countries and situations he knows nothing about."

sounds like an idiot to me, Morrissey knows alot, mate

We're regularly told that The Fall are amazing, Mark E Smith is a genius, John Peel loved them, you should love them, blah blah blah... they were/are f***ing wank and Mark is a pointless c***.

Ive got the article somwhere i ll dig it out and scan it in when i get back from the car boot sale

Alan

Time punished Mark for this review.

Time punished Mark for this review.

Those stunning good looks?

To be fair to him, he is a Morrissey fan. I've seen him at gigs and have also spotted him getting on the Manchester bound train afterwards. So he has made the effort.

What you have to remember is that he talks like that about everything. He has the Mancunian/Salfordian trait of talking down others, even though he doesn't mean it. It's a leveller. He used to talk about The Smiths in terms of 'they are South Manchester, we are North, Morrissey is catholic and I am protestant' whilst getting on with them quite well. He has spoken up for Morrissey recently, over the 'race' thing I think it was?

He's actually a nice bloke. He has this thing about him though, it's like he does the reverse of PR, which is like a breath of fresh air these days.

To be fair to him, he is a Morrissey fan. I've seen him at gigs and have also spotted him getting on the Manchester bound train afterwards. So he has made the effort.

What you have to remember is that he talks like that about everything. He has the Mancunian/Salfordian trait of talking down others, even though he doesn't mean it. It's a leveller. He used to talk about The Smiths in terms of 'they are South Manchester, we are North, Morrissey is catholic and I am protestant' whilst getting on with them quite well. He has spoken up for Morrissey recently, over the 'race' thing I think it was?
He's actually a nice bloke. He has this thing about him though, it's like he does the reverse of PR, which is like a breath of fresh air these days.

I think he said "MORRISSEYwas an easy target".
which is true

And he kills squirrels, whereas Morrissey rescues concussed squirrels.

Nope! I don't like him. Never will.

A leveler? Is that a fancy way of saying he's negative, contrary and caustic? Fvck that! Ugh.

And he kills squirrels, whereas Morrissey rescues concussed squirrels.

Nope! I don't like him. Never will.

A leveler? Is that a fancy way of saying he's negative, contrary and caustic? Fvck that! Ugh.

I have been threatened with the law for releasing trapped grey squirrels and I eventually persuaded my neighbour to take the trap down from her tree. Mark E Smith lives farly close by and claimed to a music journalist that he had been shooting red squirrels in his back garden. We don't have red squirrels around here. He was piss taking and trying to get a reaction. It worked.

I have been threatened with the law for releasing trapped grey squirrels and I eventually persuaded my neighbour to take the trap down from her tree. Mark E Smith lives farly close by and claimed to a music journalist that he had been shooting red squirrels in his back garden. We don't have red squirrels around here. He was piss taking and trying to get a reaction. It worked.

Maybe he was just shooting reds, eh Brel:thumb:
I used to take the kids when they were younger to Heaton Park, you could feed the squirrels almost from the hand they are that used to people.

Jukebox Jury

Maybe he was just shooting reds, eh Brel:thumb:
I used to take the kids when they were younger to Heaton Park, you could feed the squirrels almost from the hand they are that used to people.

Jukebox Jury

I was sat having a drink last night in town, by the Irwell (Spinnigfields). I saw loads of otters. They said that it was going to get otter this weekend (Drumroll...) :D

I was sat having a drink last night in town, by the Irwell (Spinnigfields). I saw loads of otters. They said that it was going to get otter this weekend (Drumroll...) :D

*Gets Brel's coat*:lbf:

Jukebox Jury

Bloke goes in to curry house - "Can I have a Chicken Tarka?"
Curryee - "Don't you mean a Chicken Tikka?"
Bloke - "No, it's a little 'otter'"

Ba-dum-tish.

Peter

Bloke goes in to curry house - "Can I have a Chicken Tarka?"
Curryee - "Don't you mean a Chicken Tikka?"
Bloke - "No, it's a little 'otter'"

Ba-dum-tish.

Peter

JJ is offering a coat collection service. I'd take him up on it! :D

In truth, I cracked the same gag last night.

Ive got the article somwhere i ll dig it out and scan it in when i get back from the car boot sale

Alan

I would love this:)

Back
Top Bottom