Margaret Dale - Morrissey statement at true-to-you.net

Margaret Dale - true-to-you.net
13 March 2013

Margaret Dale

I did not know Margaret on a personal level, but she was always there on the front row - the UK, the US, Israel - wherever we'd go, she'd go. Last week Margaret drove behind the tour bus all the way from Davis to Seattle, and managed to get onstage at Davis. I had signed her arm and it was now a tattoo. This week she is dead. I can only hope, for Margaret, that death yields the profit of rest, and somehow provides her with a listener. We all weary of living in the same skin day after day, in a world where only the blandly trivial are allowed to be heard, but there is nothing wrong with taking your destiny into your own hands, just as there is nothing wrong in understanding what is meant for you and what isn't. We are plonked into life without ever choosing to be, and we are despised if we fail to find a paralyzed spot in which to keep still and shut up. Margaret was a woman of action, who now knows the soul of the world.
Meanwhile, on today's AOL News Page, headlines tell us that Victoria Beckham has reportedly dropped her "fake" look, and William and Kate are in search of yet another home - the constitutional frigidity of a media world now openly obsessed with zombies and morons.

Rest well, Margaret.

Morrissey
Mexico
13 March 2013

See also:

Related forum thread:

Last edited:
I'll tell you and Skylarker where the respect here should be. Someone from Margaret's family who finds this thread and reads it. Not respect for someone's death, respect for the feelings and sensibilities for those who loved and cared about her - real people with real feelings. I'm not saying they themselves deserves respect, I don't know them, neither do you, but in a different sense of the word, we should respect their right to mourn without having to read someone trying to make a semantic point. In short, someone out there is hurting, please let's not add to it.

P.

I understand what you are saying. I disagree with you. This is not the place for her mourners -her real life mourners- to come and mourn her. Do you really think it is?

Why would they come here in regard to her passing? That doesn't make any sense to me. Certainly not for information regarding her death...they have that in spades. Certainly not to get to know her better...they already knew her in actual life. So again, what would they come here for? To see what people are saying about her? Well, I've heard multiple accounts of her that are less than glowing. Should we edit out those recollections, not make them viewable to her friends and family? I don't believe so, and I don't think you do either.

You go on and on about compassion...tell me, where is Morrissey's compassion, this person Margaret idolized so intently that it arguably helped skew her perception of reality? This guy is meaner than hell, and cares for nobody but himself. This facet of his existence becomes more and more clear with every syllable he utters...maybe because he's aging, maybe because his muse is gone, maybe because the only people still championing his relevance are Mexicans and 40 year olds who live with their parents, but whatever the reason, this guy is twisted and bitter and hostile. Apparently you have to be of the bovine variety in order for Morrissey to speak highly of you or say a kind word. And maybe that works fine for Crystal Geezer, but the rest of his fans need to wake up and realize that this guy is a hateful, merciless asshole.

For anyone here claiming an idolization of Morrissey to simultaneously chastise me for being caustic and insensitive about someone's life and/or death, well, the irony, the hypocrisy there is so pungent I want to throw up. That's why I've said many times and will say again, very little of my posts here have much to do with Margaret Dale as a person. For me it's all about that smug piece of shit she worshiped.

He applauds behavior like hers and he condones it. In his f***ed up world, it's all part of some grand romantic woe-is-me drama. He inspires people to act like her.

He blamed Middleton for that nurse's death..as far as I'm concerned he's liable for Margaret's.

I understand what you are saying. I disagree with you. This is not the place for her mourners -her real life mourners- to come and mourn her. Do you really think it is?

Why would they come here in regard to her passing? That doesn't make any sense to me. Certainly not for information regarding her death...they have that in spades. Certainly not to get to know her better...they already knew her in actual life. So again, what would they come here for? To see what people are saying about her? Well, I've heard multiple accounts of her that are less than glowing. Should we edit out those recollections, not make them viewable to her friends and family? I don't believe so, and I don't think you do either.

You go on and on about compassion...tell me, where is Morrissey's compassion, this person Margaret idolized so intently that it arguably helped skew her perception of reality? This guy is meaner than hell, and cares for nobody but himself. This facet of his existence becomes more and more clear with every syllable he utters...maybe because he's aging, maybe because his muse is gone, maybe because the only people still championing his relevance are Mexicans and 40 year olds who live with their parents, but whatever the reason, this guy is twisted and bitter and hostile. Apparently you have to be of the bovine variety in order for Morrissey to speak highly of you or say a kind word. And maybe that works fine for Crystal Geezer, but the rest of his fans need to wake up and realize that this guy is a hateful, merciless asshole.

For anyone here claiming an idolization of Morrissey to simultaneously chastise me for being caustic and insensitive about someone's life and/or death, well, the irony, the hypocrisy there is so pungent I want to throw up. That's why I've said many times and will say again, very little of my posts here have much to do with Margaret Dale as a person. For me it's all about that smug piece of shit she worshiped.

He applauds behavior like hers and he condones it. In his f***ed up world, it's all part of some grand romantic woe-is-me drama. He inspires people to act like her.

He blamed Middleton for that nurse's death..as far as I'm concerned he's liable for Margaret's.

He took the time from his hospital bed to write a tribute to her. What the f*** more do you want from him? f***in shut up.

He took the time from his hospital bed to write a tribute to her. What the f*** more do you want from him? f***in shut up.

Actually, he just condensed his "Mel Torment is dead" letter and repackaged it...much like what he's done with 'Kill Uncle'. At least with Mel Torment he didn't bother to make any bullshit, diva-like commentary on people more famous than him.

Statement from Morrissey

30 April 2010

Statement from Morrissey

My trusted ally Janice Long has passed news on to me of the sudden death of Melinda Hsu. I did not know Melinda personally, but I felt as if I did because she had been a front row fixture for many years. In fact, from her many letters and gifts I understood her name to be Mel Torment, or even, when she felt at her most pernickety, Smel - which I'm certain was not her given name. Mel was a smiling face who lent strength to every single concert, even when events were going somewhat pear-shaped. I felt as if I knew Mel because she was always there - regardless of wherever 'there' happened to be; no snowbound landscape too far, no off-the-beaten track too untrekkable. I often handed her the microphone mid-concert and she would always make an effort to say something different each time. What is more, she always seemed so happy to be there on the front row, even though she had heard these live renditions enough times to emaciate the brain of the most inherently decent devotee. However, she was booed by the audience once - in Killarney, when she asked (via microphone) with a tone of disbelief "why Killarney?" but I don't think she meant the contorted snootiness assessed by the rest of the audience because she was not that type.
Those who travel from concert to concert as Mel did possibly don't realize the contribution they make. They are as much a part of the night as I am, but I sometimes feel embarrassed because I think they are asking for more than there is, and, mustily, I can't give it. The goat-like vocals and the tipsy monologues are all that I am.
Mel had passed a note to me at Pomona saying that it would be her final concert of the tour. Yet, hours later, in another venue, there she was again. Even after all she had done, even after all the money she had spent and the millions of miles she had hiked she still could not keep away from the squeeze and bend of yet another version of "First of the gang to die" - never imagining, I'm sure, that it is she who would be the first. As ever delighted and content at Ventura (where we gave our final bow), I cannot imagine whatever it was that Mel believed she saw or felt as she fixed upon the stage night after night, year after year.
Her contribution was a declaration of love for which she seemed to save all of her strength, and for which I could only ever repay with half-witted mumbles of thanks.

The only way to deal with Mel's death is to accept it. There is no other way. We all have a certain unbreakable appointment and we are all helpless targets in that regard. Life's only promise is its final deadline. When Mel, and others who are dear to us, depart, we should at least realize as we shuffle along living our small and persecuted lives, how absolutely ridiculous it is to be afraid of anything or anyone on this unhappy planet. Most people are standardized and unoriginal, which is useful, because it makes the Mels of the world stand out even more. Rich in ideas, her self-made calendars and t-shirts were always very funny. You will catch up with her in the afterlife, where I'm sure she will be as creative and busy and as Mel Torment as ever.

Thank you to Julia at True-to-you for printing this.

MORRISSEY
France, april 2010.

Margaret Dale

13 March 2013

Margaret Dale

I did not know Margaret on a personal level, but she was always there on the front row - the UK, the US, Israel - wherever we'd go, she'd go.
Last week Margaret drove behind the tour bus all the way from Davis to Seattle, and managed to get onstage at Davis. I had signed her arm and it was now a tattoo. This week she is dead. I can only hope, for Margaret, that death yields the profit of rest, and somehow provides her with a listener. We all weary of living in the same skin day after day, in a world where only the blandly trivial are allowed to be heard, but there is nothing wrong with taking your destiny into your own hands, just as there is nothing wrong in understanding what is meant for you and what isn't. We are plonked into life without ever choosing to be, and we are despised if we fail to find a paralyzed spot in which to keep still and shut up. Margaret was a woman of action, who now knows the soul of the world.
Meanwhile, on today's AOL News Page, headlines tell us that Victoria Beckham has reportedly dropped her "fake" look, and William and Kate are in search of yet another home - the constitutional frigidity of a media world now openly obsessed with zombies and morons.

Rest well, Margaret.

Morrissey
Mexico
13 March 2013

Actually, he just condensed his "Mel Torment is dead" letter and repackaged it...much like what he's done with 'Kill Uncle'. At least with Mel Torment he didn't bother to make any bullshit, diva-like commentary on people more famous than him.

You'd think that a world so obsessed with "zombies and morons" would be a little more receptive to his backing band.

Anyway maybe it's me, but anymore it just seems like Morrissey has become this guy:

grumpy-o.gif

I would normally agree, but reason? Here? This forum has seen its share of lows over the past few years, but this thread has really hit the bottom. It should be closed for good!

I have read every post in this thread and find nothing to be offensive, hostile, defamatory, or inappropriate. This is a discussion forum. This means there will be differing opinions, conflicts, and statements that one may not agree with. It mirrors the real world.

This thread should be treated no differently than the others. Death is something we all will experience in our lives. Why not discuss it in all its various angles... grief, anger, philosophical meanings, sociological impacts, views on suicide etc?

Allowing the free flow of ideas is what helps us learn and possibly see things from new perspectives.

Skylarker's posts may, on the surface, seem insensitive and without merit. However, if you take a closer look you will see that they act(ed) as a catalyst to stimulate discussion about important topics surrounding life and death such as grief, depression, suicide, fandom, and obsession. I don't find any of his posts to be gratuitously hurtful.

I have learned much about how we as a society deal with death by the posts in this very thread. So it has utility. It should not be closed or censored.

And Skylarker is not the monster you all seem to think he is. He's a guy just telling it like he sees it. Quite refreshing in a day when everyone is attempting to be politically correct out of fear --not genuine respect. Genuine respect for my intelligence means telling me what you really think... the truth... at least the truth as you see it.

Some of the hypersensitive, thin-skinned people here scare me more than any of the most aggressive trolls. Scare me, because I wonder, how the hell have you made it so far in this complex world of ours and how much longer will you be able to continue on without any armor or courage?

Life is a struggle. Those with the tools will survive. Those without, won't.

This is not a memorial site. It is an open discussion forum where anything goes and nothing (for the most part) is off limits for discussion.

If Margret's family or friends choose to read this thread then good for them. This would demonstrate a healthy, courageous attitude towards the internet and life in general. I hope that my family would be strong enough to do the same if there were a thread dedicated to discussing my death on Solo.

Ever wonder what others here would say about you after your death? I do, sometimes. Twisted isn't it?! I would hope that they would say some kind things. I would hope they would say some true things. But most of all, I would hope that the discussion was authentic. That would be the greatest tribute of all... sincerity.

I've had people say far worse to me--here--than anything ever said about Margaret. Should the dead deserve more respect than the living? Should the absentees deserve more respect than those who are present? Ah, you say those who can't defend themselves should not be talked about. Hogwash. We do it all day, every day, everywhere, and about everybody. Who do you think you are fooling? Gossip is everywhere. And everyone is a participant.

First stone and all.

Rant over... for now. :)

Last edited:
I have read every post in this thread and find nothing to be offensive, hostile, defamatory, or inappropriate. This is a discussion forum. This means there will be differing opinions, conflicts, and statements that one may not agree with. It mirrors the real world.

This thread should be treated no differently than the others. Death is something we all will experience in our lives. Why not discuss it in all its various angles... grief, anger, philosophical meanings, sociological impacts, views on suicide etc?

Allowing the free flow of ideas is what helps us learn and possibly see things from new perspectives.

Skylarker's posts may, on the surface, seem insensitive and without merit. However, if you take a closer look you will see that they act(ed) as a catalyst to stimulate discussion about important topics surrounding life and death such as grief, depression, suicide, fandom, and obsession. I don't find any of his posts to be gratuitously hurtful.

I have learned much about how we as a society deal with death by the posts in this very thread. So it has utility. It should not be closed or censored.

And Skylarker is not the monster you all seem to think he is. He's a guy just telling it like he sees it. Quite refreshing in a day when everyone is attempting to be politically correct out of fear --not genuine respect. Genuine respect for my intelligence means telling me what you really think... the truth... at least the truth as you see it.

Some of the hypersensitive, thin-skinned people here scare me more than any of the most aggressive trolls. Scare me, because I wonder, how the hell have you made it so far in this complex world of ours and how much longer will you be able to continue on without any armor or courage?

This is not a memorial site. It is an open discussion forum where anything goes and nothing (for the most part) is off limits for discussion.

If Margret's family or friends choose to read this thread then good for them. This would demonstrate a healthy, courageous attitude towards the internet and life in general. I hope that my family would be strong enough to do the same if there were a thread dedicated to discussing my death on Solo.

Ever wonder what others here would say about you after your death? I do, sometimes. Twisted isn't it?! I would hope that they would say some kind things. I would hope they would say some true things. But most of all, I would hope that the discussion was authentic. That would be the greatest tribute of all... sincerity.

I've had people say far worse to me--here--than anything ever said about Margaret. Should the dead deserve more respect than the living? Should the absentees deserve more respect than those who are present? Ah, you say those who can't defend themselves should not be talked about. Hogwash. We do it all day, every day, everywhere, and about everybody. Who do you think you are fooling? Gossip is everywhere. And everyone is a participant.

First stone and all.

Well put.

Blehhhhh.

Last edited:

First stone and all.

I have to disagree with the statement that Skylarker has said nothing offensive for example what he said about Morrissey only being relevant to Mexicans ect..So it Morrissey would only be relevant if he only appealed to white people?I believe that was a racist comment.He has made them in the past.I don`t think his posts promote discussions.There are more constructive ways to discuss things.I don`t think you have to become nasty and insultive to start discussions.I believe his posts are mainly negative and are only made to be contrary.Having said that he does have a right to be mean and nasty and post his opinions.We also have a right to post our opposing ones.

David Byrne?

tumblr_lsiqnv1l351qesmvqo1_500.gif

thumbsup.png

I have to disagree with the statement that Skylarker has said nothing offensive for example what he said about Morrissey only being relevant to Mexicans ect..So it Morrissey would only be relevant if he only appealed to white people?I believe that was a racist comment.He has made them in the past.I don`t think his posts promote discussions.There are more constructive ways to discuss things.I don`t think you have to become nasty and insultive to start discussions.I believe his posts are mainly negative and are only made to be contrary.Having said that he does have a right to be mean and nasty and post his opinions.We also have a right to post our opposing ones.

Accept me as I am: completely unacceptable.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom