Margaret Dale - Morrissey statement at true-to-you.net

Margaret Dale - true-to-you.net
13 March 2013

Margaret Dale

I did not know Margaret on a personal level, but she was always there on the front row - the UK, the US, Israel - wherever we'd go, she'd go. Last week Margaret drove behind the tour bus all the way from Davis to Seattle, and managed to get onstage at Davis. I had signed her arm and it was now a tattoo. This week she is dead. I can only hope, for Margaret, that death yields the profit of rest, and somehow provides her with a listener. We all weary of living in the same skin day after day, in a world where only the blandly trivial are allowed to be heard, but there is nothing wrong with taking your destiny into your own hands, just as there is nothing wrong in understanding what is meant for you and what isn't. We are plonked into life without ever choosing to be, and we are despised if we fail to find a paralyzed spot in which to keep still and shut up. Margaret was a woman of action, who now knows the soul of the world.
Meanwhile, on today's AOL News Page, headlines tell us that Victoria Beckham has reportedly dropped her "fake" look, and William and Kate are in search of yet another home - the constitutional frigidity of a media world now openly obsessed with zombies and morons.

Rest well, Margaret.

Morrissey
Mexico
13 March 2013

See also:

Related forum thread:

Last edited:
This will encourage those so called "Superfans" who can afford to go every gig because they are rich or in debt, so much for caring about the environment (carbon footprint) or your fellow fans who are unable to get a ticket because you selfish buy more than your fair share. While the rest of us go to a local concert and feel it's enough to be justified being called a fan.

I'm surprised that Morrissey has made a statement about this, but there you go.
However, there is a competiton on facebook, at who is the most upset about the passing of someone they hardly knew, lead by David and poisonous Toni.

Talking of whom, self-proclaimed superfan, David (1st gig, 2011) wants the head of anyone who uses this site, on a plate. He's very, very hostile, very hostile indeed.

RIP, Margaret.

Do you really have to mention the village idiot's name on here? I think everyone is sick to the back teeth of him pretending to be morrissey, what with his umpteen pictures of him posing like morrissey, together with his quotes, the man's an imbecile.
Superfan? In his own deluded mind.

This will encourage those so called "Superfans" who can afford to go every gig because they are rich or in debt, so much for caring about the environment (carbon footprint) or your fellow fans who are unable to get a ticket because you selfish buy more than your fair share. While the rest of us go to a local concert and feel it's enough to be justified being called a fan.

You hate it when your friends become successful

Very sad to hear of the death of a Morrissey fan. R.I.P. Margaret, best wishes to her family and friends.

"His lack of conforming is not a strength...it's born of weakness. He got lucky because Marr found him and wrenched him from his mother's vagina. Morrissey is marginally talented, but that talent is not analogous to flawlessness. He's a coward, and cowards can't make art. Not immortal art, anyway. You can't make art that transcends life when you are afraid of life...and he is."

I think that we should dig up Van Gogh and tell him that he was an epic failure! He had no social skills, was a non-conformist, relied on his brother to protect him, hid from the world, and finally committed suicide; yet, I am fairly sure he is one of the most recognizable and respected artists ever. In fact, the most intelligent, visionary people tend to have terrible social skills. Additionally, Morrissey's time spent self-exiled in his mom's house provided the world with some of the greatest lyrics ever written. When people refer to his music, they obviously mean his words and voice; no, he cannot create the instrumental background for those words, but how many musicians cannot write any sort of profound lyrics? I know it has been asked a million times, but why do you come here, why do you hang around?

Yeah, a lot of profoundly great artists are also socially awkward, mentally unstable, etc...that's true. And Van Gogh was indeed a great artist. The fact that his life ended with suicide does not negate that. None of that was my point.

My point was that while this Margaret Dale character took her own life, the suicide alone does not, to me, make her seem interesting or worthy of pity or sympathy. She clearly had a great deal of passion, verve, and other resources...which she chose to spend (waste) following Morrissey around on tour.

Now, lots of people follow tours...that doesn't make them mentally ill. But for someone who clearly WAS mentally ill, it seems to me to be a bit of dichotomy that she was supposedly a pitiable shut in, a loner, weak-willed, timid, blah blah blah..who could somehow nonetheless follow Morrissey around on tour which costs great amounts of time, money, willpower, personal sacrifice, etc. Not exactly a Van Gogh type. You're comparing apples with oranges.

And I do think it's sad she killed herself, but not because of the loss of her, personally. Anytime ANYONE chooses to end their life that way, it's sad, and pathetic as a fact of human existence, because we are capable of much more.

I had a very good friend who hung himself in his garage about eight years ago. Over a woman. A woman. All I felt was anger and disgust. He was 25, and an extremely talented drummer. What he did was selfish, shortsighted, and totally unnecessary.

As for Morrissey, yes he has written some great words, and made some great art, but it doesn't make me respect him as a man. Long before he was a famous writer/singer, he still refused to work, even in his 20s. He preferred welfare.

I have no respect for that at all. None.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, a lot of profoundly great artists are also socially awkward, mentally unstable, etc...that's true. And Van Gogh was indeed a great artist. The fact that his life ended with suicide does not negate that. None of that was my point.

My point was that while this Margaret Dale character took her own life, the suicide alone does not, to me, make her seem interesting or worthy of pity or sympathy. She clearly had a great deal of passion, verve, and other resources...which she chose to spend (waste) following Morrissey around on tour.

Now, lots of people follow tours...that doesn't make them mentally ill. But for someone who clearly WAS mentally ill, it seems to me to be a bit of dichotomy that she was supposedly a pitiable shut in, a loner, weak-willed, timid, blah blah blah..who could somehow nonetheless follow Morrissey around on tour which costs great amounts of time, money, willpower, personal sacrifice, etc. Not exactly a Van Gogh type. You're comparing apples with oranges.

And I do think it's sad she killed herself, but not because of the loss of her, personally. Anytime ANYONE chooses to end their life that way, it's sad, and pathetic as a fact of human existence, because we are capable of much more.

I had a very good friend who hung himself in his garage about eight years ago. Over a woman. A woman. All I felt was anger and disgust. He was 25, and an extremely talented drummer. What he did was selfish, shortsighted, and totally unnecessary.

As for Morrissey, yes he has written some great words, and made some great art, but it doesn't make me respect him as a man. Long before he was a famous writer/singer, he still refused to work, even in his 20s. He preferred welfare.

lol, cuz what you do is so respectful.

If it wasn't for welfare and all of Moz's alone time absorbing his favorite books, movies, music he wouldn't have written all those great lyrics or had the guts to join Johnny in the first place. You do release probably about half or more of The Smiths lyrics were reconstructed out of the bits and pieces he was writing while on welfare, no? Johnny has said that Morrissey had songs just with vocal melodies when he first met him and several poems/lyrics/short stories which formed the basis of at least the first 25 or so Smiths songs. So you wouldn't even be talking about Morrissey if it wasn't for his time on welfare, that time was just as important to the Smiths greatness as Johnny rescuing him.

If it wasn't for welfare and all of Moz's alone time absorbing his favorite books, movies, music he wouldn't have written all those great lyrics or had the guts to join Johnny in the first place. You do release probably about half or more of The Smiths lyrics were reconstructed out of the bits and pieces he was writing while on welfare, no? Johnny has said that Morrissey had songs just with vocal melodies when he first met him and several poems/lyrics/short stories which formed the basis of at least the first 25 or so Smiths songs. So you wouldn't even be talking about Morrissey if it wasn't for his time on welfare, that time was just as important to the Smiths greatness as Johnny rescuing him.

Stop trying to be reasonable.

lol, cuz what you do is so respectful.

Aw, c'mon. I really need you to respect me.

An artist who makes art because his days are free, he lives off the government or his parents or his woman, while his hands are unsoiled from labor, is an artist by chance. He may have talent, but his reticence to toil at a job and engage in real world responsibilities is ultimately going to limit his scope when it comes to making art.

Whereas an artist who works all day, sweats to support himself, yet still finds time for art and responds to the drive to create something esoteric and ephemeral...that's respectable.

My sincere thoughts and prayers for Margaret Dale's family and loved ones.

This is awful news, rest in peace Margaret, All thoughts and prayers to the Dale family.

Very disapointed with the poor statement by Morrissey, he should have kept it simple but no he has to turn it into something to gain self-publicity. You can tell he has no children of his own. I am a fan of his music but that is now where it ends for me after this, my life changed when I became a Dad of two wonderful boys, the gift of life is amazing.
Sleep safe Margaret.

Proud Dad

Aw, c'mon. I really need you to respect me.

An artist who makes art because his days are free, he lives off the government or his parents or his woman, while his hands are unsoiled from labor, is an artist by chance. He may have talent, but his reticence to toil at a job and engage in real world responsibilities is ultimately going to limit his scope when it comes to making art.

Whereas an artist who works all day, sweats to support himself, yet still finds time for art and responds to the drive to create something esoteric and ephemeral...that's respectable.

Sad son,

You ignorant illiterate fart, Marcel Proust didn't work for a second, yet, he is The Greatest Writer.

we'll let you know

More than your usual quota of Morrissey-Solo horrible shit on this thread*, combined with a couple of personal bests in stupidity and unthought-out bollocks.

Condolences to the family and the friends of the deceased and warm wishes to the kind of heart.

*Kudos to Uncle Skinny for trying to rein things in.

If not for the dole the landscape of British popular music would look very different indeed. From the Beatles on the UK taxpayer has selflessly helped give the world some of the finest rock and pop on the planet.

God save the Queen!

(The fascist regime...)

Sad son,

You ignorant illiterate fart, Marcel Proust didn't work for a second, yet, he is The Greatest Writer.

we'll let you know

Have some tea and gaze out into the misty rain from the serene haven of your sitting room, tough guy.

This is awful news, rest in peace Margaret, All thoughts and prayers to the Dale family.

Very disapointed with the poor statement by Morrissey, he should have kept it simple but no he has to turn it into something to gain self-publicity. You can tell he has no children of his own. I am a fan of his music but that is now where it ends for me after this, my life changed when I became a Dad of two wonderful boys, the gift of life is amazing.
Sleep safe Margaret.

Proud Dad

Were you intentionally being ironic there?

Of all the silly posts on here. This one stands out the most! Thank you " anonymous", i respect your point of view & where you are coming from, BUT .... the story goes on.....

Great story! In the immediate aftermath of your very good friend's death, did you foist yourself upon his family and share with them the benefit of your wisdom on the subject of suicide? Did you comfort them by telling them how disgusting and selfish their dead son was?

Of course he didn't. That would be as crass and insensitive as going on stage just after a massacre in Norway and comparing the dead to poultry. He'd have to be a sociopathic moron to do such a thing.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
"If it wasn't for welfare and all of Moz's alone time absorbing his favorite books, movies, music he wouldn't have written all those great lyrics or had the guts to join Johnny in the first place. You do release probably about half or more of The Smiths lyrics were reconstructed out of the bits and pieces he was writing while on welfare, no? Johnny has said that Morrissey had songs just with vocal melodies when he first met him and several poems/lyrics/short stories which formed the basis of at least the first 25 or so Smiths songs. So you wouldn't even be talking about Morrissey if it wasn't for his time on welfare, that time was just as important to the Smiths greatness as Johnny rescuing him."

Perfectly stated! Thank you British Welfare System and thank you to Morrissey's mom for letting him do what needed to be done. Additionally, some people are forgetting that a person with severe emotional problems, whether it is depression or Asperger's Syndrome, may be incapable of working or engaging in the everyday routines that the rest of us endure. It isn't a case of won't, it is a case of can't. It is easy to accuse them of being lazy or shiftless in some way if you fully do not understand how disabling mental illness really is. I have a 22 year old son who has many of the same personality traits (problems) as Morrissey, and it breaks my heart daily to watch him miss out on so many things in life. I am always amazed that Morrissey has been able to sustain a career in the public eye and manage to appear on stage under such intense scrutiny. I, for one, am truly grateful that he has. Yes, he makes some mistakes, but I honestly think that he is doing the best that he can. I am concerned that everytime he is attacked, it just destroys him a little bit more.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom