Marc Almond's tense "hook up" with Moz

Scarlet Ibis

The Chicken of D.C.
My husband is reading Marc Almond's autobiography, Tainted Life. Earlier today he brought the book to me and told me to read page 424.

You've probably seen this before, but in case you haven't:

I was dragged out to meet Morrissey for dinner once. A mutual friend of ours -- Jill Smith, a journalist with the now defunct Record Mirror --- wanted us to 'hook up' because she mistakenly thought we would have so much in common, what with our respective styles and lyrics. Early dinner in a London restaurant was arranged. I was my usual nervous self, but determined to see it through, and Jill was in her element, accompanied by her two favourite singers. So there we all sat, Morrissey across from me, and both of us guarded and reluctant to open up or chat. Morrissey was concerned with being Morrissey as much as I was concerned with being Marc Almond. The small talk remained so polite and charming that it was all but nonexistent, and there were long, long pauses, fake laughter, much lingering over the menu, much filling time. Jill proceeded to get so drunk that she ended up crying in the toilet, and Morrissey and I had to help her out. Sniveling and weeping, she was overcome with the experience of having dinner with the both of us. We loaded her into a taxi. Poor Jill! Morrissey and I at last managed to have a good laugh as she was driven away.

My husband is reading Marc Almond's autobiography, Tainted Life. Earlier today he brought the book to me and told me to read page 424.

I was dragged out to meet Morrissey for dinner once. A mutual friend of ours -- Jill Smith, a journalist with the now defunct Record Mirror --- wanted us to 'hook up' because she mistakenly thought we would have so much in common, what with our respective styles and lyrics. Early dinner in a London restaurant was arranged. I was my usual nervous self, but determined to see it through, and Jill was in her element, accompanied by her two favourite singers. So there we all sat, Morrissey across from me, and both of us guarded and reluctant to open up or chat. Morrissey was concerned with being Morrissey as much as I was concerned with being Marc Almond. The small talk remained so polite and charming that it was all but nonexistent, and there were long, long pauses, fake laughter, much lingering over the menu, much filling time. Jill proceeded to get so drunk that she ended up crying in the toilet, and Morrissey and I had to help her out. Sniveling and weeping, she was overcome with the experience of having dinner with the both of us. We loaded her into a taxi. Poor Jill! Morrissey and I at last managed to have a good laugh as she was driven away.

hahahaha. that would've been me.

:eek:

You have really naughty imagination. :p

I do. :o

But gosh... You take your two favorite pop stars out for dinner and then get plastered and require their assistance? I dunno. Hrm. Jill was taking a chance at the very least.

I'm half kidding ya know. I don't want to infuriate any Jill Smith lovers. :)

Last edited:
What a hilarious story! Altough I have no idea who this Marc-bloke is sounds like sympathetic person. :)

Somehow I can imagine how ankward Morrissey must had felt in that kind of situation. :D

Oh, how jovial! The girl gets driven away, drunk, in such a state, from her favourite singers, and they have a laugh! Cruel bastards!:p:D

That is a great story! I didn't even know Marc Almond had written a book. What a lucky woman! I'd have tried to orchestrate the same scenario except I'd have left Marc Almond out and taken George Michael and Moz instead. Somehow though I think Morrissey would have become sick and never made it to dinner...

Just imagine if he had though... the insulting conversation that could have ensued!

That is a great story! I didn't even know Marc Almond had written a book. What a lucky woman! I'd have tried to orchestrate the same scenario except I'd have left Marc Almond out and taken George Michael and Moz instead. Somehow though I think Morrissey would have become sick and never made it to dinner...Just imagine if he had though... the insulting conversation that could have ensued!

have you seen this :morrisssey and george michael at a uk tv show..its only 5 minutes..so not the whole show,,i think its about 15-20 minutes where they talk about joy divsion, a breakdance movie and the band "everything but the girl"#

Last edited by a moderator:
have you seen this :morrisssey and george michael at a uk tv show..its only 5 minutes..so not the whole show,,i think its about 15-20 minutes where they talk about joy divsion, a breakdance movie and the band "everything but the girl"#

here is another part of it(a bit longer, better quality)
ahh hilarious...george`s hair..tonys jacket
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCZkVrpYupY

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I have seen that video- so hilarious! Moz looks so uncomfortable! I think he was being very generous in his comments about that rather boring song! But I love seeing my two favorite men sitting next to one another- as odd as they look sitting there together!:D

Being a Marc Almond fanatic for the last 20+ years, I've given this episode quite a bit of thought.

My two favorite singers, together, chit-chatting over dinner - no wonder the poor woman was overcome; I would barely have survived. :D

Yes I have seen that video- so hilarious! Moz looks so uncomfortable! I think he was being very generous in his comments about that rather boring song! But I love seeing my two favorite men sitting next to one another- as odd as they look sitting there together!:D

Im sure you have seen the sandie shaw thread where she speak about how george michael has told her
" that he always listened to The Smiths in the shower before he went on stage"
hmm i try to get THAT image out of my head..HAHA

I'm always uncertain what is meant by "hook up" since some people use it to refer to sexual hook-ups and others in a neutral way, the same as in to meet up or get together with friends.

So was this Jill person trying to play matchmaker, or just have her two favourite singers meet each other?

OI YOU LOT!!! Enough of the judging, already! For your information, I am that Gill Smith (although Marc, bless his little dyslexic cotton socks, didn't spell my name correctly) and this little evening out that turned into such an embarrassment for me was simply a case of introducing two people whom I thought might get on - nothing sexual in it! If my memory serves me correctly, both Marc and Morrissey had expressed an interest to me in meeting the other and I set the wheels in motion, knowing both parties and their respective PRs. I certainly don't remember the evening being full of long, long pauses or fake laughter. I was actually quite pissed off when I read this episode in his book as I didn't like the idea of being laughed at in such a cruel way or held up as an object of fun for a cheap laugh, especially when I had mistakenly thought that both parties had some degree of respect for me. I'd made the classic mistake of not eating much and drinking on an empty stomach. Come on, we've all done it! The only difference is, most people don't then have it waved in their face in such a public arena. OK, I've had my say!

OI YOU LOT!!! Enough of the judging, already! For your information, I am that Gill Smith (although Marc, bless his little dyslexic cotton socks, didn't spell my name correctly) and this little evening out that turned into such an embarrassment for me was simply a case of introducing two people whom I thought might get on - nothing sexual in it! If my memory serves me correctly, both Marc and Morrissey had expressed an interest to me in meeting the other and I set the wheels in motion, knowing both parties and their respective PRs. I certainly don't remember the evening being full of long, long pauses or fake laughter. I was actually quite pissed off when I read this episode in his book as I didn't like the idea of being laughed at in such a cruel way or held up as an object of fun for a cheap laugh, especially when I had mistakenly thought that both parties had some degree of respect for me. I'd made the classic mistake of not eating much and drinking on an empty stomach. Come on, we've all done it! The only difference is, most people don't then have it waved in their face in such a public arena. OK, I've had my say!

Aww. I'm sorry that happened to you then. I was just joking about the sexy stuff. I promise. Where Morrissey is concerned I just get sexy-brained. Ignore it. He's just adorable to me, is all.

I didn't post it here to dig at you personally. I just found it in a book and thought everyone would like to read about Morrissey's evening out. Nothing personal at all. I'm sure you're a lovely human being. If you weren't you wouldn't have been friends with the two of them, I imagine.

Hello!
You seem to be quite furious about those two guys. I think it would have been strange if they had cried when witnessing what happened to you...:pDo you really think they were that cruel?:confused: Have you ever seen them after that?:D Did you write a bad review because of that?:cool:

Back
Top Bottom