I got an invite, not sure if I am going
what richey and i have in common:
View attachment 87397
(among, perhaps, other things. who knows.)
all of these scars are from over 15 years ago, and ive always been rather embarassed of them to the point of wearing long sleeves at work and around family because its just easier than having to explain something for which there is no justification, because the only justification existed in the moment in which they were made, and when not in the moment it just seems such a dumb and unnecessary and silly and feeble thing to do. so that's how i view these scars: dumb and unnecessary and silly and feeble, and i imagine thats how other people view them as well (i have NO illusions about people thinking im 4REAL when they see them). and its all the worse when some dumb twat at work, the type who jumps on any bandwagon to be interesting, including now being nonbinary because she failed at being an appealing girl, someone who you have no desire to bond over anything with, leaves a note in your pocket saying "i have those scars too." like, f*** off, and dont be leaving notes in my pocket, i dont give a f*** about you.
i do however give a f*** about richey, and that is why ive decided to not be bothered any longer by these scars-- because it means i have something in common with him, and because he seemingly wasnt bothered by his. for a long while ive wanted to let my freak flag fly and it seems that richey and nicky are the ones to pave the way: nicky with his composed, calculated, let-it-all-hang-out fabulousness, all of which makes him in my opinion a very life affirming figure. and, in contrast, richey who was a bit of a shit show and who proves that you can be a shit show and still be fabulous, beautiful, amazing, brilliant, and 4REAL, and therefore you shouldnt fear being a shit show.
and yes, my arm is very fat (and hairless) (superb wrists though!!), however, that is about to change, as tomorrow is my last eating day on earth (it was supposed to be today but im sick and have no sense of taste so what good would that have been??)! and i hope that when it does my arms will resemble lost wax cast relics pulled up out of the trunk of an ancient ship. maybe i will post an updated picture of my arm when im satsified ive reached nicky wire 1993 thinness!!
by the way, thank you for making this thread, redacted!!! i know you did it just for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee <3
haha no im good! just letting my freak flag fly but thank you, you're a sweetie!Are you ok Rifke or am I reading too much into the last paragraph, happy to chat through the message thing on here.
oh if you thought i really meant my last eating day on earth then yes you took it too literally! LOL! sorry!! what i meant was my last eating day for like fifty days.
food is too good to give it up forever!!!Ah ok, read it and thought oh shit, that doesn’t sound good!
WOW... That’s a very good billingView attachment 87381
I got an invite, not sure if I am going
Oh man do I love nickyWhether you like them or not, this is a pretty funny take down. I do agree that they are pretentious psuedo intellectuals for pretentious psuedo intellectuals, and if you like that sort of thing, that's fine.
First of all, we have an excellent letter by a fellow named Richard P., explaining why Nicky Wire, bassist and lyricist of the Manic Street Preachers, could be considered one of the worst rock stars ever.
Since the Manics never made much of an impression here in the states, I’ll briefly explain their history: they started out as an extremely inauthentic hard rock/punk band, and were prone to claiming that they’d be bigger than Guns N’ Roses.
They peppered their songs with half-understood political and intellectual slogans, making them basically the sonic equivalent of a bumper sticker.
At some point after their third album, their nutcase guitarist/lyricist Richey Edwards disappeared, never to be seen again (who’d blame him?). In response to this tragedy, the remaining members decided to become the poor man’s U2, and have made several gut-wrenchingly awful records since. Despite the Manics being a c-list act here in the states, Richard has made a great case for Nicky’s inclusion among the worst of all time:
I pondered for a while (3 minutes while playing Tetris) whether to include one or both of the Manic Street Preachers' "controversial" lyricists / stage props, but I'll settle on Nicky Wire since (a) Richey Edwards was actually insane, whereas Nicky was just annoying, and (b) Every single thing he's done since Richey disappeared has sucked horribly, and there's nobody else to shoulder the blame.
If you haven't heard much from The Manics, it's because nobody in America liked them, prompting Mr. Wire to proclaim that "America is crap", making you wonder why he wanted to tour there in the first place.
This is just one of the many instances which have put Nicky Wire in the running for the coveted "Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Talking out Your Arse" award, where he is currently tied for 2nd place with the guy who wrote Neon Genesis Evangelion [Is this some sort of anime joke? Please, Richard, this is a good letter, don’t ruin your credibility just yet. –Dave]. Other great Nicky Wire moments include:
- Claiming his band would break up after releasing one album which would outsell Appetite for Destruction. It didn't outsell AFD, but their "Farewell" single made a lot of money, so what was he to do but make a follow-up? And another and another and another...
- Wearing a dress and eyeliner on stage, filling his album sleeves / lyrics with out-of-context "intellectual" quotes, constantly posing for photographs made up to look like Gary Numan, and claiming to be a socialist / communist / anarchist / democrat whenever the mood suited him. He then wrote a song called "No Surface, All Feeling".
- Some of the most clumsy, embarrassing "smart" lyrics ever. "Into the vein exhibit the derelict / Secular mosaic distracted at birth / A cubist abstraction let it live forever". No, seriously, those are actual lyrics.
- Some of the lamest non-John Mayer lyrics ever. "The censorship of my skin / is screaming inside / and from within / There's no room in this world for a girl like me". There are more articulate livejournals than this.
- When founding member / co-lyricist Richey Edwards disappeared (presumed dead), what better way to honour his memory than by releasing yet more albums without him? Bonus round: With nobody to shoulder the blame, we can be assured that above lyrics are 100% Nicky.
- Turning from an androgynous punk-rock "Generation Terrorist" into an AOR-playing, white suit-wearing, strolling-along-the-beach-like-Boyzone middle-aged prat so fast he actually broke the sound barrier.
- Shoving in a cynical "I AM STILL AN AGRY PUNK" song on each album of said AOR shite.
Lowest Point: In a desperate attempt to regain credibility, he debuted an album in Cuba, featuring a song about Elian Gonzales (which is sure to age well). Oh, and Castro was in the audience. DOWN WITH AMERIKKKA NO BLOOD FOR CIGARS!