Manic Street Preachers: Futurology

Kilt Uncle

...This album is brilliant and i can say that without fear of ANY contradiction. German keyboards meet Welsh guitars in a sexual fusion that's so erotic that Berlusconi would rip his leaning tower off!

They are not very popular on here, which as remarkable considering the pap that gets lauded on this site.

Give this album a listen. You know you don't want too...:)

Re: Manic Street Preachers...Futurology...

My Morrissey, Manic Street Preachers fandom is equal. Nicky wanted Morrissey to sing on one of their songs, but they were chicken to ask him. "I'm really enjoying "Futurology" it is the most perfect of all of their albums. "Between The Clock and The Bed" is just lovely. I just like how they go away and write and record in their own studio, then appear with a new album which never sounds like a previous album. I would say that they are now one of the most important bands that the UK have ever produced.

Re: Manic Street Preachers...Futurology...

I really wanted to like it, it's been getting rave reviews and I generally tend to like MSP stuff, but it just isn't grabbing me :(

I really love the Holy Bible but that's about as far as my Manics knowledge goes. I also have Generation Terrorists but I only really like about five songs on it. Then you've got the odd single like If You Tolerate This and Everything Must Go that I know and enjoy. So which album should I get next? Everything Must Go? Journal For Plague Lovers? Gold Against The Soul? Cheers

Try Gold Against The Soul first before you hear Everything Must Go. My reason being you then would've heard all the Manics albums as their original line up before Richey disappeared. Gold Against The Soul is their stadium rock stage and has some cracking songs on it. Once you've heard these two albums you'll be at a great launch point to hear all the albums they did after that in whatever order you like.

IMO I'd take note of Know Your Enemy, Journal For Plague Lovers and Send Away the Tigers.

As far as their latest one goes I am on the fence as I have only had one or two listens and Manics albums never hit me straight away.

Cracking quotes from the Manics:

"Billy Bragg is a big nosed twat."

"Let's pray that Michael Stipe goes the same way as Freddie Mercury."

"Scratch "4 Real" on your arm with a fountain pen; this proves you really love us."

Last edited:
Cracking quotes from the Manics:

"Billy Bragg is a big nosed twat."

"Let's pray that Michael Stipe goes the same way as Freddie Mercury."

"Scratch "4 Real" on your arm with a fountain pen; this proves you really love us."

What exactly does that have to do with Futurology?

Try Gold Against The Soul first before you hear Everything Must Go. My reason being you then would've heard all the Manics albums as their original line up before Richey disappeared. Gold Against The Soul is their stadium rock stage and has some cracking songs on it. Once you've heard these two albums you'll be at a great launch point to hear all the albums they did after that in whatever order you like.

IMO I'd take note of Know Your Enemy, Journal For Plague Lovers and Send Away the Tigers.

As far as their latest one goes I am on the fence as I have only had one or two listens and Manics albums never hit me straight away.

I'd recommend "Lifeblood" and "Everything Must Go". Both are very accessible and full of good tunes. "Send Away The Tigers" isn't that good and "Gold Against The Soul" has a special place in fans hearts and lists, but it's not the best album to start listening too until you get you delve deeper into their works and history.

Does anyone have a good quality version of "The Girl From Tiger Bay" demo they could post?? Pretty please.

if your gonna go past the classic sound and albums with richie, id start with know you enemy. its a very grab bag of sounds and songs but theyre all quality. some jangle pop, some puck rock, some pop songs and some really really good funk. its one of my favs from them and two albums aside im only a casual fan of the band.

Back
Top Bottom