Morrissey Central "MANCHESTER, TODAY" (June 21, 2022)

MANCHESTER, TODAY

0-2_gvvpub.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

Apollo capacity - 3,500
Arena capacity - 21,000
The Apollo is a much better venue on the whole than the Arena by a mile, fair enough, but those numbers are not a coincidence.

The residual die hards are there, I am still friends with many of them, but that number is ever decreasing year by year, scandal by scandal. You can deny that all you want, but it is true. Everyone has their breaking point, I've reached mine and plenty of my friends have before and after me. Others have their's ahead of them. It will come for most of them, while others will play dumb and ignore until the bitter end. I saw Morrissey a good number of times between 04 and 15. I wouldn't see him now if you paid me.
Compare the general public's feelings towards Morrissey now and to, let's say, the 2004 comeback. Hell, even the 2012 gig at the MEN Arena did well, but the complaints from people after was regarding the setlist, as well as the venue. Come to Manchester now, however, and no casual music fans will want to go and see Morrissey any more, thanks to his own little outbursts that come time and again. Go and see how quiet the Smiths night at S&G had tragically gotten, even before the pandemic. There is no good will now, not even for a nostalgia act which one could interpret Morrissey as being despite his output.
I agree with most of what you say, except that I don't think the fanbase will shrink any further.
Unless, that is, he restates his admiration for Farage/Robinson/Waters etc. but I think he's learned not to do that. The 18-month period from autumn 2017 to spring 2019 was just hellish in the succession of career-destroying political statements and gestures that he made. And for many thousands of people who had been following him up to that point, that was the end.
But now a new generation is coming through who see The Smiths as a legendary band with an incredible back catalogue and, although the singer said and did some unbelievably twattish things from autumn 2017 to spring 2019, the new fans were not following him then, and therefore aren't massively bothered by it. To them, he's just a complicated and muddled man but with an amazing back catalogue.
The older fans are perhaps becoming slightly more forgiving, especially if there's some promising new stuff on its way. His commercial clout will never return to the pre-2018 levels, but I don't think it will sink any lower now, and may recover a little.

Last edited:
Yes, but he did also urge people to vote for Bernie Sanders.
The man is (politically) deeply foolish and ridiculously muddled, but he has never had a consistently right-wing agenda.
If he had a right-wing agenda, he'd have an anti-Morrissey agenda! He would literally hate himself and try to discriminate against himself.

Off the top of my head, I wasn't impressed with York (2011) or Leeds (2015), in comparison to earlier gigs (like the Apollo in 2009 etc). I only go to one or two each tour though. Maybe it was because the venues weren't great (is Leeds ever great?) - but he just seemed tired and not in the best mood - in one of them he started ranting about politics. There's always some tit in the audience who starts fighting. Maybe I'm not expressing it well, but a bit of the magic wore off. I am curious to hear songs from the new album though.
You don’t think age has anything to do with it? Or different priorities? That’s the case for me, at least. I’m not even 40, but it’s still too much of a hassle going to big gigs these days. It’s the endless queuing and waiting, all the impressions and feelings to sort through during the gig, the drunk troublemakers in the audience (always right where I’m standing). And so on. I can’t be arsed anymore, I don’t think. I haven’t seen Moz since 2014, so I’m definitely going to see him if he shows up anywhere near where I live, but other than that I’m really choosy from now on.

if people dont want go to the shows its fine,people who where twenty when the smiths came out are now hitting 60,they have different priorities now.who would have ever thought that driving to a show could cost more than the actual price of a ticket.
theres always glastonbury where you can see paul mc cartney,diana ross and neil tennent all with a combined age of 225 years,guitar groups are a thing of the past.

You don’t think age has anything to do with it? Or different priorities? That’s the case for me, at least. I’m not even 40, but it’s still too much of a hassle going to big gigs these days. It’s the endless queuing and waiting, all the impressions and feelings to sort through during the gig, the drunk troublemakers in the audience (always right where I’m standing). And so on. I can’t be arsed anymore, I don’t think. I haven’t seen Moz since 2014, so I’m definitely going to see him if he shows up anywhere near where I live, but other than that I’m really choosy from now on.
Individuals will have different reasons for attending or not attending specific concerts. But on the whole legendary bands from the 1980s have never been so popular. The Cure are filling arenas like never before, even rubbish like Deacon Blue are playing to their biggest ever live audiences. And Morrissey was following the same trajectory. The winter 2018 arena tour was to his biggest ever audience. So what's happened to his audience size then is nothing to do with a few fans getting a bit tired of the concert-going experience. But as I explained higher up, I can't see the audience shrinking any more, unless he restates his support/sympathy/endorsements for we all know who.

Individuals will have different reasons for attending or not attending specific concerts. But on the whole legendary bands from the 1980s have never been so popular. The Cure are filling arenas like never before, even rubbish like Deacon Blue are playing to their biggest ever live audiences. And Morrissey was following the same trajectory. The winter 2018 arena tour was to his biggest ever audience. So what's happened to his audience size then is nothing to do with a few fans getting a bit tired of the concert-going experience. But as I explained higher up, I can't see the audience shrinking any more, unless he restates his support/sympathy/endorsements for we all know who.
I don’t know what you’re on about. What I said had nothing to do with Morrissey’s supposedly shrinking audience. I was speaking for myself about going to concerts in general, as a response to Amy alluding to her not feeling up to going to too many gigs nowadays.

No one cares about Morrissey now. This gig will do very well for the residual die hards to still knock about, and it's a cracking venue compared to the big arena. But you're not going to get "hmm, I might see what he is up to" passing trade like he got at the second and third Arena gigs he did in the 10s. Which are so nondescript that I can't remember what years they are.
Wrong. It doesn't matter where he performs he has a hard core of fans Who are loyal to him as an artist. He may have lost a bunch of the LGBT community but who cares regarding fans He does well stil. And if others in England are prudes. Your lost , Morrissey is a British treasure.

That's good, you will be able to get one quite easily then. Let us know which ones you're going to.
I can just picture 'Badge' sat at his PC.

Palladium and Manchester sold out?

Refreshed about thirty times and managed to get front row for Glasgow in one of the worst venues he could have played. Thankfully didn't have to go down the platinum ticket road, whatever they were.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom