Morrissey Central "MANCHESTER, TODAY" (June 21, 2022)

MANCHESTER, TODAY

0-2_gvvpub.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

This virtual poster should come with a warning. What if some sensitive leftie sees it and is triggered?
Rock and roll, comedy, music, art are all "LEFTIES" you nitwit. No such thing as conservative rock or comedy or art. Btw, Morrissey is a "leftie." He is the epitome of a "leftie."

Rock and roll, comedy, music, art are all "LEFTIES" you nitwit. No such thing as conservative rock or comedy or art. Btw, Morrissey is a "leftie." He is the epitome of a "leftie."
Yeah, course he is. That's why he urged you all to vote for a far-right party.

Idiot

Yeah, course he is. That's why he urged you all to vote for a far-right party.

Idiot
Yes, but he did also urge people to vote for Bernie Sanders.
The man is (politically) deeply foolish and ridiculously muddled, but he has never had a consistently right-wing agenda.

Yes, but he did also urge people to vote for Bernie Sanders.
The man is (politically) deeply foolish and ridiculously muddled, but he has never had a consistently right-wing agenda.
Like many people, he finds reasonable bits to the right as well as to the left. That said, he has always leaned way more to the left than to the right.

I guess he mourns an England long gone and like many from his generation he probably has a hard time recognizing the country he grew up in. If that is the case, it makes perfect sense that he felt compelled to endorse For Britain. The fact that Waters is a vegan, Irish and lesbian feminist probably mesmerized him even more. And to be fair, there are worse parties than For Britain and to say that they are way off on everything is probably more than a little virtue-signaling.

I would probably have a difficult time voting for such a party myself (I’m still too much of a’lefty’), but I can see why some are drawn to them.

This is absolutely bizarre. who the f*** thinks Morrissey is worse than Islamic fundamental terrorism, you mad man? Morrissey has said some shitty things in the press, terrorists have killed people. I think you'll find everyone hates the latter more.

The invisible haters that exist only in your head have done an absolute number on you.
It's not "only in my head". In almost every thread here people complain about "things" Morrissey has said that somehow has resulted in a "shrinking fan base".

Like many people, he finds reasonable bits to the right as well as to the left. That said, he has always leaned way more to the left than to the right.

I guess he mourns an England long gone and like many from his generation he probably has a hard time recognizing the country he grew up in. If that is the case, it makes perfect sense that he felt compelled to endorse For Britain. The fact that Waters is a vegan, Irish and lesbian feminist probably mesmerized him even more. And to be fair, there are worse parties than For Britain and to say that they are way off on everything is probably more than a little virtue-signaling.

I would probably have a difficult time voting for such a party myself (I’m still too much of a’lefty’), but I can see why some are drawn to them.

Far worse..........Conservatives.......Labour.......Lib Dem's........The Greens.

Good point. Moz was hugely popular in The Smiths and again with Viva Hate and again with Arsenal & Vauxhall and again with Quarry & Ringleader and also with Refusal (I think). Not to mention all his other tour success even when not signed to a label (e.g. pre Quarry). Factor in the amount of TV appearances too (e.g. Jools Holland around Southpaw release, Johnny Carson around Kill Uncle and Arsenal etc.).

He can't be on top forever. People are fickle, especially these days. Ed Sheeran is at the top of the pyramid of mediocrity. That says it all really.

Interesting article here on why most people don't want challenging music.

Music for general societal exhaustion

I was thinking of that You Are The Quarry period when he was absolutely massive. I remember listening to the charts on the radio expecting Irish Blood English Heart to be in the twenties somewhere. When it got to number to three it was like 'Hang on, something's happening here'

My band of comparison is Manic Street Preachers, they've fallen to the level of a novelty act like those eighties nostalgia tours.

I was thinking of that You Are The Quarry period when he was absolutely massive. I remember listening to the charts on the radio expecting Irish Blood English Heart to be in the twenties somewhere. When it got to number to three it was like 'Hang on, something's happening here'

My band of comparison is Manic Street Preachers, they've fallen to the level of a novelty act like those eighties nostalgia tours.

Quarry was a great commercial success for him but he was still grounded when it came to gigs, he was still playing great mid sized venues around that time.

For info I'm thinking of going to one or two nights of the tour but will probably wait to see the Twickets situation a couple of days beforehand ie I'm not too bothered, whereas years ago I would have been on the end of a phone and a computer waiting for the time the tickets went onsale
I feel like this too. I'm still quite excited about the albums (or potential album news at any rate) - but I can't work up any enthusiasm for the live shows. I've been to too many gigs where Moz just seemed to be "phoning it in", Boz looked bored out of his mind, etc. It takes the shine of it a bit, I have no idea how some people follow whole tours.

I feel like this too. I'm still quite excited about the albums (or potential album news at any rate) - but I can't work up any enthusiasm for the live shows. I've been to too many gigs where Moz just seemed to be "phoning it in", Boz looked bored out of his mind, etc. It takes the shine of it a bit, I have no idea how some people follow whole tours.
Just out of curiosity Amy, what gigs did he phone in, in your humble opinion?

People like Sean Connery and John Lennon actually beat up women, people like bowie were paedos, yet they’re revered and Morrissey is supposedly a hate figure. If you have a brain the size of a pea and you genuinely think Morrissey hates black people just because they are black, etc, then you’re simply moronic.

Either the songs mean something to you or they don’t. I entirely believe someone for whom they don’t could be utterly bored. This isn’t Ed Sheehan

Just out of curiosity Amy, what gigs did he phone in, in your humble opinion?
Off the top of my head, I wasn't impressed with York (2011) or Leeds (2015), in comparison to earlier gigs (like the Apollo in 2009 etc). I only go to one or two each tour though. Maybe it was because the venues weren't great (is Leeds ever great?) - but he just seemed tired and not in the best mood - in one of them he started ranting about politics. There's always some tit in the audience who starts fighting. Maybe I'm not expressing it well, but a bit of the magic wore off. I am curious to hear songs from the new album though.

If you don’t like him, don’t buy a ticket. Do something more useful with your life than moaning about it. The people who spend their lives engaging with someone they supposedly hate is such an illness. The malady lingers on…
There's just one slight problem with your position...Viva Hate...in Morrissey's terms, there's nothing more important ir rewarding than the mocking and vilification of anyone you disagree with or who disagrees with you...

...next contestant...

BB

Either the songs mean something to you or they don’t. I entirely believe someone for whom they don’t could be utterly bored. This isn’t Ed Sheehan
You wouldn't expect the band to look bored though, would you?

Off the top of my head, I wasn't impressed with York (2011) or Leeds (2015), in comparison to earlier gigs (like the Apollo in 2009 etc). I only go to one or two each tour though. Maybe it was because the venues weren't great (is Leeds ever great?) - but he just seemed tired and not in the best mood - in one of them he started ranting about politics. There's always some tit in the audience who starts fighting. Maybe I'm not expressing it well, but a bit of the magic wore off. I am curious to hear songs from the new album though.

The venues are a big issue for me, last time I saw him was 2018 in Birmingham and although he was good, the atmosphere was awful and I thought, this is it, i'm not bothering any more. However this time around and 4 years later (where he's not spouted any shite that goes against my moral compass) he's playing venue's that in my mind work better for his craft and work for me, so I'm looking forward to these gigs. If the manchester gig would have been the arena, I wouldn't have bothered going.

Fair enough.
I agree with you about York, thought It was average as well. Maybe Glasto the night before affected him? Maybe.
The Leeds one in 2015 I found to be the better of the 3 Leeds arena gigs.
I still read people talking about Leeds 2020 as an amazing night. I suppose it’s about opinions really but, no sane person who has followed M’s live concerts for 25 years + could honestly say that was an amazing night.

Fair enough.
I agree with you about York, thought It was average as well. Maybe Glasto the night before affected him? Maybe.
The Leeds one in 2015 I found to be the better of the 3 Leeds arena gigs.
I still read people talking about Leeds 2020 as an amazing night. I suppose it’s about opinions really but, no sane person who has followed M’s live concerts for 25 years + could honestly say that was an amazing night.
I believe the pandemic shutting down the live music scene for nearly 2 years has something to do with it. For a lot of people that saw Morrissey in Leeds, this was probably their last gig in a long while. And he played new songs from Dog, an album that never got a proper tour.
Can’t speak for Leeds though, because I chose Cologne and enjoyed it tremendously. But my views became more biased as time passed without concerts.
Good that we still havé a chance to see him again.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom