Morrissey Central "MANCHESTER, TODAY" (June 21, 2022)

MANCHESTER, TODAY

0-2_gvvpub.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

That’s total nonsense. A number of serious Morrissey fans who attended well over 100 gigs each have walked away. Hardly casual music fans.

I find it bizarre that they would put shoddy newspaper reporting & social media witch hunts over their own experience.

I know he's peculiar - but I also know he was never a screaming fascist in his stage patter or in his music.

That should tell them something else is going on.

Apollo capacity - 3,500
Arena capacity - 21,000
The Apollo is a much better venue on the whole than the Arena by a mile, fair enough, but those numbers are not a coincidence.

The residual die hards are there, I am still friends with many of them, but that number is ever decreasing year by year, scandal by scandal. You can deny that all you want, but it is true. Everyone has their breaking point, I've reached mine and plenty of my friends have before and after me. Others have their's ahead of them. It will come for most of them, while others will play dumb and ignore until the bitter end. I saw Morrissey a good number of times between 04 and 15. I wouldn't see him now if you paid me.

Compare the general public's feelings towards Morrissey now and to, let's say, the 2004 comeback. Hell, even the 2012 gig at the MEN Arena did well, but the complaints from people after was regarding the setlist, as well as the venue. Come to Manchester now, however, and no casual music fans will want to go and see Morrissey any more, thanks to his own little outbursts that come time and again. Go and see how quiet the Smiths night at S&G had tragically gotten, even before the pandemic. There is no good will now, not even for a nostalgia act which one could interpret Morrissey as being despite his output.
Speaking only for myself of course, back in the late 80's and much of the 90's my main music interests (in terms of concerts I felt compelled to attend) was The Cure, Morrissey, and Suede. I'd go to other concerts if it was convenient. As the years flew by I attended many concerts, many Moz concerts, and my interests widened. This year my most anticipated concerts are Gary Numan, Peter Hook, Pixies, The Cure. I'd like to see Moz again but sometimes the day/venue doesn't suit. So I probably won't be going. But I'm still a huge fan and hope to see him next year. What I'm trying to say is people get older, their interests widen (hopefully), their priorities change, and missing a concert is now a pain in the arse rather than a soul crushing disappointment.

Speaking only for myself of course, back in the late 80's and much of the 90's my main music interests (in terms of concerts I felt compelled to attend) was The Cure, Morrissey, and Suede. I'd go to other concerts if it was convenient. As the years flew by I attended many concerts, many Moz concerts, and my interests widened. This year my most anticipated concerts are Gary Numan, Peter Hook, Pixies, The Cure. I'd like to see Moz again but sometimes the day/venue doesn't suit. So I probably won't be going. But I'm still a huge fan and hope to see him next year. What I'm trying to say is people get older, their interests widen (hopefully), their priorities change, and missing a concert is now a pain in the arse rather than a soul crushing disappointment.

next year, next tour, will it ever come ?

It's amusing watching people argue that someone with a 40 year career isn't popular anymore based on how popular they were for a two year period. I mean it's technically correct but it's hardly representative.

You're getting a bit muddled there, wee guy. Tens of thousands of fans have jumped ship. If you think pointing this out is 'hating' you're obviously a bit simple.
Fingers crossed, enough of them have forgiven M for repeatedly endorsing/supporting various right-wing twats. They may well have done - he hasn't issued any more supporting statements for a couple of years which will hopefully have made a difference. We find out soon.
But you point it out every chance you get. By now we know where you're coming from so it seems like overkill at this point. Also most of us couldn't care less about the migration of the herd, so there's that.

Last edited:
Yet you can’t move on. Not really. You still come here on a regular basis and immerse yourself in the world of Moz. You still get triggered by his presence and by whatever he is doing. And by his (other) fans. You still play his music. You’re still hurt that the pop star guy you devoted so much of your life to “betrayed” you by not being exactly as you wanted him to be. And you can’t. let. go.

If you want your words and your sentiments to be taken seriously, leave. If you keep coming back, you only look like a jilted lover bordering on psychotic.
I applaud you standing Gregor!!! 100% agree. Some have a psychiatric fixation with Moz. It is simple at least for me if I do not like someone I do not speak neither good nor evil just indifference and period!!!!

I applaud you standing Gregor!!! 100% agree. Some have a psychiatric fixation with Moz. It is simple at least for me if I do not like someone I do not speak neither good nor evil just indifference and period!!!!
Amen, Luji! 🙌🏻

It’s strange that somehow Morrissey is the bad guy that seems to irritate a lot of englishmen, and not the radical islamists behind the Manchester 2017 bombing, killing of MP Amess and so on. I don’t even think Morrissey has killed anyone before. So it’s a peculiar world, no doubt.
This is absolutely bizarre. who the f*** thinks Morrissey is worse than Islamic fundamental terrorism, you mad man? Morrissey has said some shitty things in the press, terrorists have killed people. I think you'll find everyone hates the latter more.

The invisible haters that exist only in your head have done an absolute number on you.

Happily got two tickets for the Blackpool Opera House, they are selling from £40 to £85, Ticketmaster typically ripping off people, going from £179, ba hum bug

Apollo capacity - 3,500
Arena capacity - 21,000
The Apollo is a much better venue on the whole than the Arena by a mile, fair enough, but those numbers are not a coincidence.

The residual die hards are there, I am still friends with many of them, but that number is ever decreasing year by year, scandal by scandal. You can deny that all you want, but it is true. Everyone has their breaking point, I've reached mine and plenty of my friends have before and after me. Others have their's ahead of them. It will come for most of them, while others will play dumb and ignore until the bitter end. I saw Morrissey a good number of times between 04 and 15. I wouldn't see him now if you paid me.

Compare the general public's feelings towards Morrissey now and to, let's say, the 2004 comeback. Hell, even the 2012 gig at the MEN Arena did well, but the complaints from people after was regarding the setlist, as well as the venue. Come to Manchester now, however, and no casual music fans will want to go and see Morrissey any more, thanks to his own little outbursts that come time and again. Go and see how quiet the Smiths night at S&G had tragically gotten, even before the pandemic. There is no good will now, not even for a nostalgia act which one could interpret Morrissey as being despite his output.

Manchester is chav and immigration central these days. What casual fanbase do you speak of?

Happily got two tickets for the Blackpool Opera House, they are selling from £40 to £85, Ticketmaster typically ripping off people, going from £179, ba hum bug

I certainly appreciated the fact they wanted to charge £3 for an actual physical ticket as a "souvenir" of the gig. Very thoughtful of the greedy bastards.

Tickets for all gigs left, with the exception of LDN Palladium and Manchester. Unless of course you wish to pay a platinum fee.

It's amusing watching people argue that someone with a 40 year career isn't popular anymore based on how popular they were for a two year period. I mean it's technically correct but it's hardly representative.
Good point. Moz was hugely popular in The Smiths and again with Viva Hate and again with Arsenal & Vauxhall and again with Quarry & Ringleader and also with Refusal (I think). Not to mention all his other tour success even when not signed to a label (e.g. pre Quarry). Factor in the amount of TV appearances too (e.g. Jools Holland around Southpaw release, Johnny Carson around Kill Uncle and Arsenal etc.).

He can't be on top forever. People are fickle, especially these days. Ed Sheeran is at the top of the pyramid of mediocrity. That says it all really.

Interesting article here on why most people don't want challenging music.

Music for general societal exhaustion

Last edited:
I certainly appreciated the fact they wanted to charge £3 for an actual physical ticket as a "souvenir" of the gig. Very thoughtful of the greedy bastards.
The whole ticketmaster booking process is fully automated, so when they add 'service fee' WTF do they mean - electricity charge?

The whole ticketmaster booking process is fully automated, so when they add 'service fee' WTF do they mean - electricity charge?
....haven't you seen the price of electricity (and gas) these days?
Shocking!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom