Manchester Smiths Tour

reutc

Hello all,

I have recently moved to Manchester as part of my studies.
I'm going to stay here for the next 3 months and obviously, I'm very excited about being "in the place it all began". :)

The number one thing on my to do list in this city is of course see all the iconic places that are identified with The Smiths and Morrissey.
I found some guys who are doing a Smiths tour with their car that takes a couple of hours, driving you through all the key places, and I'd really like to take that tour since trying to figure out how to get everywhere with busses all around the city would be a pain.

Problem is, I'm just one person and paying for a private tour by myself is way too expensve. So, I am looking for up to 3 more people (there are only 4 places in the car) that would want to join me on this tour.

So, is anyone in the area up to this? Or know if there's a better forum I could look at?
Maybe for Morrissey's birthday? :)

Better doing it by foot/bus/rail, get to see so much more an not that expensive really, were in Manchester are you staying? Also have you bought the guide which will help you greatly

I'm staying in Fallowfield... Which guide are you referring to?
And looking at the map, it didn't seem like all those places are within walking distance... Does that guide also include details of which bus lines one would need to take from/to each place, etc.?

Thanks for the advice. :)

And looking at the map, it didn't seem like all those places are within walking distance... Does that guide also include details of which bus lines one would need to take from/to each place, etc.?

It's the guide by phil gatenby(he used to be a member of the forum untill he was banned) depends if you want to do it all in one day or not. I'm sure it gives all the bus numbers but it's worth a buy anyway

By the way the book can be picked up in HMV or Fopp in manchester city centre for about £7

Maybe there would be enough interst in another MOZZ BUS tour:thumb: (Not heard from him in a while is Phill still banned or has democracy worked ) or in fact is it hung like parliment ha ha .........come on down Phill

Last edited:
I'm sure the people at Salford Lads Club may know of any upcoming bus tours or give you some further ideas on what to see and where etc.

:):guitar::):)

Can I just correct mozsupportsrovers the book isnt available in HMV / Fopp..... but is in WH Smiths in Piccadilly station, Urbis and Cornerhouse :thumb: http://www.empire-uk.com/moz09.htm

Last edited:
cool, thanks. will have a look at HMV then.

and if anyone reading this would like to join me, feel free to drop me a line!

just sent you a PM

Can I just correct mozsupportsrovers the book isnt available in HMV / Fopp..... but is in WH Smiths in Piccadilly station, Urbis and Cornerhouse :thumb:

is it not?:eek: I aint been shoppin in manc since march, my mistake

If you are in Manchester 3 months, you can do the tour over a period of time. The book, ''Morrissey's Manchester'' - as highlighted above - will take you to all the places, bus stops 'en all :cool:

For anyone who only has one day in Manchester, trying to get to all the sites by public transport would be a real pain. However, if you are here for a while, you could always do a few at a time, picking ones that are close together. For example, taking the main bus route from Fallowfield (ie all the 40-something buses which you probably take every day), you'll pass through Rusholme (and Platt Fields Park where the fairs are sometimes held), then The Holy Name Church, then really close to the Ritz where the Smiths played their first ever gig. Once you're in the city centre, you could visit other venues that the Smiths/Moz played (if you're interested - I'm not sure I'd count everywhere they ever played as a really noteworthy landmark). You could also walk to Strangeways (now just called Manchester Prison) from the city centre. Salford Lads Club is walkable from the city centre but a bit of a trek so you might prefer to get the bus.

I think the book mentioned above includes bus routes but do double check them as bus routes do change. To find the best way to get from one place to another by public transport, you can use this journey planner http://www.traveline-northwest.co.uk/ and to find out how long it would take to walk to a particular site you can use www.walkit.com - or just ask on here :)

The Urbis gift shop usually have a good supply in :thumb:

Hello all,

I have recently moved to Manchester as part of my studies.
I'm going to stay here for the next 3 months and obviously, I'm very excited about being "in the place it all began". :)

The number one thing on my to do list in this city is of course see all the iconic places that are identified with The Smiths and Morrissey.
I found some guys who are doing a Smiths tour with their car that takes a couple of hours, driving you through all the key places, and I'd really like to take that tour since trying to figure out how to get everywhere with busses all around the city would be a pain.

Problem is, I'm just one person and paying for a private tour by myself is way too expensve. So, I am looking for up to 3 more people (there are only 4 places in the car) that would want to join me on this tour.

So, is anyone in the area up to this? Or know if there's a better forum I could look at?
Maybe for Morrissey's birthday? :)

here is another thread abou the topic
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=107749&highlight=manchester

Back
Top Bottom