Manchester - O2 Apollo (Oct. 4, 2022) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

How Soon Is Now? / We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful / Our Frank / Knockabout World / First Of The Gang To Die / Irish Blood, English Heart / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Rebels Without Applause / The Loop / Frankly, Mr. Shankly / I Am Veronica / My Hurling Days Are Done / Half A Person / Bonfire Of Teenagers / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Never Had No One Ever / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper // Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of Thom Haydon.

Last edited:
Jeez, somebody got out of bed the wrong side this year.

First of all, I admit 100% that I was wrong to use the word dirge, I put my hands up to that one.
Over the last year and a bit, I've been listening to all my solo bootleg shows in strict chronological order(yes, sad I know!), and what you notice is that around the 2010s, there is a definite lethargy creeps into the shows, and a lot of shows have a lull where the audience seem to become bored and muted, especially around the World Peace tour. The songs seemed to get a fair bit slower, and there were also a lot of slow songs clumped together. Now, I don't have any problem with slow songs; Please Please Please..., Never Had No-one Ever, Bonfire etc were all highlights on Sunday, but even EDILS was played a lot quicker on Sunday than it was at the same venue four years ago.

Johnny Marr once said that he compiled EVERY Smiths setlist as Morrissey left all the musical decisions to him. Morrissey has frequently referred to Boz as ''Our Captain'' suggesting he's in charge of the band, almost certainly as musical director.
With Boz gone, and Alain back in, the sets have suddenly become sparkier, punchier, and zippier(and probably a whole host of other words ending in -ier). Pure coincidence?
Obviously Morrissey chooses the titles that will be performed, but someone has to decide how the songs are played, and in what order. Do you really believe Boz or Alain have NEVER had any say in this?

For phux ache mate, we're only here to discuss the concerts. Some little parcels of light and joy after wading through the interminable pish of the last four years. I'm not proclaiming "Alain and Boz compile the setlists and this MUST be written in stone!!" I have absolutely no idea how the setlists are compiled, or who decides that Meat Is Murder should be dragged out to 10 minutes. I'm mere speculating. It's only My Opinion!!

Any way, take it easy mate. We're all Morrissey fans at the end of the day.
Cheers.

I have nothing but the UTMOST RESPECT for Boz, and have sung his praises on here from as far back as 1999(my concert reviews on here as far back as the Oye Esteban tour will prove this).
How on Earth can you say it's coincidence? Are you deaf or a dyed-in-the-wool contrarian?
If you loved the shows from the 2010s then great, but we are obviously coming from different ends of the Morrissey spectrum, and therefore it's unlikely we will ever agree on certain things. But hey, that's the joy of living in a democracy, right?
But do NOT accuse me of having a problem with Boz Boorer. I stated a fact(and other people on here have said the same), the shows so far this tour sound fresh and energised. And it's been a while since we've been able to say that.
It’s still an uneccessary commentary that Boz if reading will find uncomfortable. Just because other insensitive people have said it doesn’t mean it is kind.

Thanks so much, Requiescant! Good to see that again. I was a decade or so out. Hope you're doing very well : )
My pleasure GH, happy to help.
It's a cool wee tune isn't it? I downloaded it as a cheesy keepsake of Sunday's concert!
Oh, and by the way....the fifties?...THE FIFTIES??? Exactly what anti-inflammatories have you been mainlining to think this looks like the fifties??😂😂
Anyway, nice to see/speak to you again...been a long time!
Hope you're in good spirits.
Take care🙂

First of all, I admit 100% that I was wrong to use the word dirge, I put my hands up to that one.
Over the last year and a bit, I've been listening to all my solo bootleg shows in strict chronological order(yes, sad I know!), and what you notice is that around the 2010s, there is a definite lethargy creeps into the shows, and a lot of shows have a lull where the audience seem to become bored and muted, especially around the World Peace tour. The songs seemed to get a fair bit slower, and there were also a lot of slow songs clumped together. Now, I don't have any problem with slow songs; Please Please Please..., Never Had No-one Ever, Bonfire etc were all highlights on Sunday, but even EDILS was played a lot quicker on Sunday than it was at the same venue four years ago.

Johnny Marr once said that he compiled EVERY Smiths setlist as Morrissey left all the musical decisions to him. Morrissey has frequently referred to Boz as ''Our Captain'' suggesting he's in charge of the band, almost certainly as musical director.
With Boz gone, and Alain back in, the sets have suddenly become sparkier, punchier, and zippier(and probably a whole host of other words ending in -ier). Pure coincidence?
Obviously Morrissey chooses the titles that will be performed, but someone has to decide how the songs are played, and in what order. Do you really believe Boz or Alain have NEVER had any say in this?

For phux ache mate, we're only here to discuss the concerts. Some little parcels of light and joy after wading through the interminable pish of the last four years. I'm not proclaiming "Alain and Boz compile the setlists and this MUST be written in stone!!" I have absolutely no idea how the setlists are compiled, or who decides that Meat Is Murder should be dragged out to 10 minutes. I'm mere speculating. It's only My Opinion!!

Cheers.

I have nothing but the UTMOST RESPECT for Boz, and have sung his praises on here from as far back as 1999(my concert reviews on here as far back as the Oye Esteban tour will prove this).
How on Earth can you say it's coincidence? Are you deaf or a dyed-in-the-wool contrarian?
If you loved the shows from the 2010s then great, but we are obviously coming from different ends of the Morrissey spectrum, and therefore it's unlikely we will ever agree on certain things. But hey, that's the joy of living in a democracy, right?
But do NOT accuse me of having a problem with Boz Boorer. I stated a fact(and other people on here have said the same), the shows so far this tour sound fresh and energised. And it's been a while since we've been able to say that.
First of the Gang to Die was definitely much more in keeping with the original style of the song when he played it on Tuesday. I never liked the slower version he was playing live in the 2010s.

Cheers.

I agree with this. Last night (Brum) seemed energised and, dare I say it, Moz seems to have his mojo back.
I don't think the cavernous venues helped either during the 2010 years but many gigs I went to I felt he was phoning it in.

I agree with this. Last night (Brum) seemed energised and, dare I say it, Moz seems to have his mojo back.
I don't think the cavernous venues helped either during the 2010 years but many gigs I went to I felt he was phoning it in.
It is possible his loss of audience numbers and him reverting to smaller venues because of it is a good thing in that case. Smaller venues are always better.

First of the Gang to Die was definitely much more in keeping with the original style of the song when he played it on Tuesday. I never liked the slower version he was playing live in the 2010s.
Yeah, totally agree. What on Earth was that "bossa nova" version all about? Not only did it sound silly, it robbed the song of all it's fire and drama.
Still, it was back with a full-on Glasgow Kiss on Sunday👊👊

It’s still an uneccessary commentary that Boz if reading will find uncomfortable. Just because other insensitive people have said it doesn’t mean it is kind.

And we could look forward to Boz’s album of Morrissey songs reimagined. Should be interesting at least.

Why do you think it would be emotional for him?

Benny 🇬🇧 :knife:
I can imagine singing about the tragic events of your 58th birthday on the 40th anniversary of your first live performance in the city where it all happened would be pretty poignant even for the coldest of hearts.
Moz is at least traditionally thought of as a sensitive soul so I imagine that would explain it.

A good review!

I'm less despairing, but still anxious.

:pray:
What a great review from someone who was clearly there. Louder than war is run by John Robb from The Membranes, he’s also a really nice person and if you want proper reviews on all things music you should follow him if you do twitter or other platforms

My pleasure GH, happy to help.
It's a cool wee tune isn't it? I downloaded it as a cheesy keepsake of Sunday's concert!
Oh, and by the way....the fifties?...THE FIFTIES??? Exactly what anti-inflammatories have you been mainlining to think this looks like the fifties??😂😂
Anyway, nice to see/speak to you again...been a long time!
Hope you're in good spirits.
Take care🙂
What's a decade or two between old friends ;)

Spent the night chilling with red wine and trying (unsuccessfully) to make a pizza on one of those ooni pizza ovens but since that catastrophe I've been been watching videos of the Manchester gig and have to say, Knockabout World is fast becoming one of my favourite ever Morrissey songs.

Spent the night chilling with red wine and trying (unsuccessfully) to make a pizza on one of those ooni pizza ovens but since that catastrophe I've been been watching videos of the Manchester gig and have to say, Knockabout World is fast becoming one of my favourite ever Morrissey songs.
Yeah, Knockabout is just flipping genius. The words, the music, the singing, the arrangement. Perfect. It's been in my top 10 since it came out. A tragedy that it was released during an effective radio boycott of new Morrissey songs. Any other time, it would have been his biggest radio hit to date, with a nation singing along to a Morrissey song like never before. Such a great uplifting message behind it all, too.

Hurling :hearteyes:

Very nice compilation from Apollo

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom