Manchester - O2 Apollo (Oct. 4, 2022) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

How Soon Is Now? / We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful / Our Frank / Knockabout World / First Of The Gang To Die / Irish Blood, English Heart / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Rebels Without Applause / The Loop / Frankly, Mr. Shankly / I Am Veronica / My Hurling Days Are Done / Half A Person / Bonfire Of Teenagers / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Never Had No One Ever / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper // Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of Thom Haydon.

Last edited:
Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

How Soon Is Now? / We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful / Our Frank / Knockabout World / First Of The Gang To Die / Irish Blood, English Heart / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Rebels Without Applause / The Loop / Frankly, Mr. Shankly / I Am Veronica / My Hurling Days Are Done / Half A Person / Bonfire Of Teenagers / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Never Had No One Ever / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper // Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of Thom Haydon.

I'm glad that setlist could be of help! I'm still in shock that I got it haha

You are right you don’t know.

I would think Morrissey is the decision maker on set lists.

You think Meat is Murder is dirge?

It is a matter of personal taste as to whether there is dirge or not and not everyone will agree with you that there is now less dirge.
Jeez, somebody got out of bed the wrong side this year.

First of all, I admit 100% that I was wrong to use the word dirge, I put my hands up to that one.
Over the last year and a bit, I've been listening to all my solo bootleg shows in strict chronological order(yes, sad I know!), and what you notice is that around the 2010s, there is a definite lethargy creeps into the shows, and a lot of shows have a lull where the audience seem to become bored and muted, especially around the World Peace tour. The songs seemed to get a fair bit slower, and there were also a lot of slow songs clumped together. Now, I don't have any problem with slow songs; Please Please Please..., Never Had No-one Ever, Bonfire etc were all highlights on Sunday, but even EDILS was played a lot quicker on Sunday than it was at the same venue four years ago.

Johnny Marr once said that he compiled EVERY Smiths setlist as Morrissey left all the musical decisions to him. Morrissey has frequently referred to Boz as ''Our Captain'' suggesting he's in charge of the band, almost certainly as musical director.
With Boz gone, and Alain back in, the sets have suddenly become sparkier, punchier, and zippier(and probably a whole host of other words ending in -ier). Pure coincidence?
Obviously Morrissey chooses the titles that will be performed, but someone has to decide how the songs are played, and in what order. Do you really believe Boz or Alain have NEVER had any say in this?

For phux ache mate, we're only here to discuss the concerts. Some little parcels of light and joy after wading through the interminable pish of the last four years. I'm not proclaiming "Alain and Boz compile the setlists and this MUST be written in stone!!" I have absolutely no idea how the setlists are compiled, or who decides that Meat Is Murder should be dragged out to 10 minutes. I'm merely speculating. It's only My Opinion!!

Any way, take it easy mate. We're all Morrissey fans at the end of the day.
Cheers.

MORRISSEY LIVE AT THE APOLLO, MANCHESTER – WHAT HAPPENED?

Mmm, something not right about that review, I don't recall him saying anything about 9/11 or any flowers littering the stage, although I had knocked a few beers back so may have missed it?

Mmm, something not right about that review, I don't recall him saying anything about 9/11 or any flowers littering the stage, although I had knocked a few beers back so may have missed it?
Neither is Ripper a ‘rare performance’.
I’m sure the 9/11 comment was from a Vegas show.

Last edited:
This person clearly knows nothing about Morrissey & did a quick bit of Google-ing in the name of research. The whole section talking about Ripper is a slew of wrong and contradictory information.

The 9/11 quote came from the first time he sang Bonfire…in Vegas.

I highly doubt this reviewer even attended the gig they were writing about.

GH, it's 'Baby I Won't Let You Down' by Pickettywitch. I think they won Opportunity Knocks or something in the early 70s🙂👍

Thanks so much, Requiescant! Good to see that again. I was a decade or so out. Hope you're doing very well : )

These reviews are so predictable and lazy. Dial a cliche indeed

There were flowers being thrown on the stage at the start and a member of staff on hand to pick them up.

There were flowers being thrown on the stage at the start and a member of staff on hand to pick them up.
Correct and a few at Birmingham.. a new flowery era . Presumably gladioli

At one point during this song, he seems to burst into tears. First time I've seen Moz do that. It was at the line where he sings "You go home, and you want to die.".
Was there in Killarney, 3rd row and I saw the same there during "Half a Person', he seemed to be tearing up and looked actually sad, very subtle but I saw it and wondered why. So interesting that it happened at another gig to another Smiths song, maybe memories returning home?

First of all, I admit 100% that I was wrong to use the word dirge, I put my hands up to that one.
Over the last year and a bit, I've been listening to all my solo bootleg shows in strict chronological order(yes, sad I know!), and what you notice is that around the 2010s, there is a definite lethargy creeps into the shows, and a lot of shows have a lull where the audience seem to become bored and muted, especially around the World Peace tour. The songs seemed to get a fair bit slower, and there were also a lot of slow songs clumped together. Now, I don't have any problem with slow songs; Please Please Please..., Never Had No-one Ever, Bonfire etc were all highlights on Sunday, but even EDILS was played a lot quicker on Sunday than it was at the same venue four years ago.

Johnny Marr once said that he compiled EVERY Smiths setlist as Morrissey left all the musical decisions to him. Morrissey has frequently referred to Boz as ''Our Captain'' suggesting he's in charge of the band, almost certainly as musical director.
With Boz gone, and Alain back in, the sets have suddenly become sparkier, punchier, and zippier(and probably a whole host of other words ending in -ier). Pure coincidence?
Obviously Morrissey chooses the titles that will be performed, but someone has to decide how the songs are played, and in what order. Do you really believe Boz or Alain have NEVER had any say in this?

For phux ache mate, we're only here to discuss the concerts. Some little parcels of light and joy after wading through the interminable pish of the last four years. I'm not proclaiming "Alain and Boz compile the setlists and this MUST be written in stone!!" I have absolutely no idea how the setlists are compiled, or who decides that Meat Is Murder should be dragged out to 10 minutes. I'm merely speculating. It's only My Opinion!!

Cheers.
Yes it is coincidence. I quite loved the shows in the 2010s.

I find your unproven statements to be insulting to Boz who deserves far more respect that you give him.

He basically kept Morrissey’s career going for a long time.

Correct and a few at Birmingham.. a new flowery era . Presumably gladioli
Morrissey for a long time instructed his security to stop people getting into venues with flowers.

The reason was that when the stage is covered in them it becomes a slip hazard

It's a shame the song is just underwritten pap. It would've been so much more interesting for Morrissey to have penned a truly powerful ballad, something undeniably strong enough to weather the inevitable controversy. This garbage is simply too easy to dismiss.
I agree. I’m not even sure what he is trying to say. Was there somebody who wasn’t angry about the terrorist attack? If there is a message it is lost or between the lines which is ironic when he says people won’t talk about it. Not sure this song talks about it either.

You are right you don’t know.

I would think Morrissey is the decision maker on set lists.

You think Meat is Murder is dirge?

It is a matter of personal taste as to whether there is dirge or not and not everyone will agree with you that there is now less dirge.

For phux ache mate, we're only here to discuss the concerts. Some little parcels of light and joy after wading through the interminable pish of the last four years. I'm not proclaiming "Alain and Boz compile the setlists and this MUST be written in stone!!" I have absolutely no idea how the setlists are compiled, or who decides that Meat Is Murder should be dragged out to 10 minutes. I'm mere speculating. It's only My Opinion!!

Cheers.
Yes it is coincidence. I quite loved the shows in the 2010s.

I find your unproven statements to be insulting to Boz who deserves far more respect that you give him.

He basically kept Morrissey’s career going for a long time.
I have nothing but the UTMOST RESPECT for Boz, and have sung his praises on here from as far back as 1999(my concert reviews on here as far back as the Oye Esteban tour will prove this).
How on Earth can you say it's coincidence? Are you deaf or a dyed-in-the-wool contrarian?
If you loved the shows from the 2010s then great, but we are obviously coming from different ends of the Morrissey spectrum, and therefore it's unlikely we will ever agree on certain things. But hey, that's the joy of living in a democracy, right?
But do NOT accuse me of having a problem with Boz Boorer. I stated a fact(and other people on here have said the same), the shows so far this tour sound fresh and energised. And it's been a while since we've been able to say that.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom