Manchester - O2 Apollo (Oct. 4, 2022) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

How Soon Is Now? / We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful / Our Frank / Knockabout World / First Of The Gang To Die / Irish Blood, English Heart / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Rebels Without Applause / The Loop / Frankly, Mr. Shankly / I Am Veronica / My Hurling Days Are Done / Half A Person / Bonfire Of Teenagers / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Never Had No One Ever / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper // Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of Thom Haydon.

Last edited:
Many reviews leading up to this were pondering ‘we’ll see how well Bonfire of Teenagers goes down in Manchester’…

Well, after the first chorus and ‘I shall look back in anger until the day I die’, the crowd roundly applauded clearly in agreement.

One criticism…Frankly didn’t sound right at all…Morrissey sang it well, but the band just didn’t get it right.

I really enjoyed the gig, the ending was a slight disappointments as I thought he was going to come back for a 2nd encore due there being a few mins before the house lights came on. Other than that it was fab, Morrissey looked good and sounded great and compared to my last gig in 2018 he was like a man reborn, he just seemed to have his mojo back.

I nearly missed the start as the queue at 8.05 when we turned up was right around the block and past the pub on the side street!!

I think I saw Liz Kershaw there as well.

52AA2697-CCB3-44D9-91F4-85B598FB693A.jpeg

Last edited:
Also meant to say that I thought the new songs fitted in and went down well, although I wasn't keen on hurling.

All I know is that since Alain has returned, the sets are fresher and less of a dirge in places.
Couldn't agree more.
The last UK tour (particularly Aberdeen - NINE new songs FFS!) was a chore at points.
Alain returning seems to have breathed new life into Moz and the rest of the band.

Long may it continue.

Well obviously I don't know for sure. But I would imagine the musicians, especially the band leaders, do have some say in the setlists.
All I know is that since Alain has returned, the sets are fresher and less of a dirge in places.
You are right you don’t know.

I would think Morrissey is the decision maker on set lists.

You think Meat is Murder is dirge?

It is a matter of personal taste as to whether there is dirge or not and not everyone will agree with you that there is now less dirge.

Many reviews leading up to this were pondering ‘we’ll see how well Bonfire of Teenagers goes down in Manchester’…

Well, after the first chorus and ‘I shall look back in anger until the day I die’, the crowd roundly applauded clearly in agreement.
It would be very odd for someone not to be angry about the bombing. I’m not aware of anyone being anything but angry about the terrorist act including the Muslim community.

beautiful!!! What a way to open a show!

Would love to hear him sing all of Jerusalem
a cappella.

Last edited:
'Hurling days are done' is one of my fave song of his for years. Very poignant.

Looking forward to Boro away, Sunday Night at the London Palladium and Bleeding Brixton.

Hope the security calms down and finds a middle ground...

One odd thing that I didn't notice last night is that the drums are not on a drum riser.

I would think Morrissey is the decision maker on set lists.

He answered a question about this in an interview once (can’t remember which) and he said it was a “selfish” process where he just chooses what he wants to sing most.

I doubt anybody else in the band gets to pick what songs he performs - it is his show after all.

Re: setlist, I believe they've rehearsed a set amount of tracks and draw from said list probably via Morrissey's choice/discussion (as evidenced by some of Alains statements prior to live shows and the rockabilly bits re-emerging). They dont, as a band, expect Morrissey to arrive with a random list of songs and say: get on with it... especially with new members and only a couple of full rehearsals.
FWD.

(On a side note: I forget which year, but Lyn Boorer suggested she had asked for The More You Ignore Me... to be played one night a few hours before showtime and it was).

Re: setlist, I believe they've rehearsed a set amount of tracks and draw from said list probably via Morrissey's choice/discussion (as evidenced by some of Alains statements prior to live shows and the rockabilly bits re-emerging). They dont, as a band, expect Morrissey to arrive with a random list of songs and say: get on with it... especially with new members and only a couple of full rehearsals.
FWD.

(On a side note: I forget which year, but Lyn Boorer suggested she had asked for The More You Ignore Me... to be played one night a few hours before showtime and it was).

Obviously. No matter how good a musician is to be expected to play something to perfection unrehearsed would be just daft. There will be a pool library that is rehearsed to select from.

At one point during this song, he seems to burst into tears. First time I've seen Moz do that. It was at the line where he sings "You go home, and you want to die.".
Mmm. Would you like a slice of ham with that corn?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom