Manchester musical history tour

The Manchester Musical History Tour is a guide to all the locations that has made Manchester the musical city it is!
From the late 1950's through to today is all contained in this 160 page guide.
From the Bee Gees and The Hollies, 10CC and Buzzcocks, Joy Division and Factory, The Smiths and Madchester, through to Oasis, Doves and even Take That!

Written by Phill Gatenby (author of Morrissey's Manchester) and Craig Gill (drummer Inspiral Carpets) and containing a foreward from local broadcaster Pete Mitchell, the guide takes you to long since gone concert venues as well as places mentioned in song lyrics and other iconic points of interest.

The book is available direct from the publisher from 5th February at a discounted price and will be available in local shops from 10th February

For further details and booking
http://www.facebook.com/l/80c591R0YtO2sDUyQu7OIbR_8mQ;www.empire-uk.com/

Shouldn't this be in Marketplace rather than events? Unless there is a launch party as well...

Good to see Phill has finally got his finger out and finished this - should be a good read. And at £6 no has an excuse not to buy it :thumb:

I feel an urge to shout "come on city" for some reason.... nostalgia I suppose.

Dave

I put it in general discussion as I thought people might want to talk about some of the places and sites likely to be in the book. But you're right, there is no excuse not tobuy it!

rod_hull_512.jpg

Been waiting for this book to come out for ages... got a quick glimpse of it in draft format and it's a work of pure love, love for the city and for the music. Brilliant!

It's written in a really accessible manner so it'll be a great guide for folk from far off places to check in with when they visit Manchester... or even if they're not visiting, they'll definitely get a feel for Manchester's landscape and culture by reading the book.

I just wish someone would do one for my city, Glasgow.

Bravo to the author of this invaluable little book... and cheers for keeping the price down (£6).
http://www.empire-uk.com/
View attachment 10263

My copy has just arrived.

It is a very impressive book, I'll look forward to reading it and visiting the sites soon... there were rumours of a launch party...

I'm even in the acknowledgements :o along with Uncle Peter and Grim O'Grady (RIP) Thanks Phill :thumb:

Dave

My copy has just arrived.

It is a very impressive book, I'll look forward to reading it and visiting the sites soon... there were rumours of a launch party...

I'm even in the acknowledgements :o along with Uncle Peter and Grim O'Grady (RIP) Thanks Phill :thumb:

Dave

I was just going to ask if anyone had received their copy yet.
Still awaiting mine.
Any old excuse for another cultural outing in Manchester! :)

Morrissey - "always on the f*****g phone!"

I was reading the excellent new book by Phill Gatenby & Craig Gill, The Manchester Musical History Tour www.empire-uk.com

There is a section on the band Buzzcocks and their record company office (New Hormones). Guitarist Steve Diggle is quoted as saying:
"(the office) it was like a homeless drop in centre. People I'd never seen before with receipts for all kinds of shit. People were always using the phone and helping themselves to petty cash. Morrissey was always in there on the f*****g phone."

'Call me' morbid, 'call me' pale :squiffy:
So phone me, phone me, phone me
So phone me, phone me, phone me
Ooh, I think I'm in love:o

Re: Morrissey - "always on the f*****g phone!"

I miss having 'Phill JJ Gatenby' surprise us with all these little snippets of wisdom.
See, he wasn't just good for a laugh... he provided great Moz stories too!

We want him back for good

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom