Manchester, Massaging Morrissey and making it big - the story of James

LEFTY VEGGIES GONE BONKERS, GIVING MASSAGES TO MORRISSEY: THE UNTOLD STORY OF JAMES - Noisey

Excerpt:

During the 80s, there was an impression that James were, as the NME put it, “lefty veggies gone bonkers”. In some ways, this impression has never left, clinging particularly to Tim. Once upon a time, says Jim, this wasn’t too far from the truth and on the “Meat is Murder” tour; Jim ended up giving Morrissey a massage because the great yodeller had a headache. “Back in those days we were a bunch of hippies so the idea of giving someone a massage was par for the course. If someone had a headache, you wouldn’t give them a paracetamol, you’d light a candle and get some oil out. I gave Morrissey a massage and he said, ‘Much better, thanks very much’. He was probably lying”. A few years later, when they were playing Top of the Pops with Nirvana, Kurt Cobain was so nervous he felt like he couldn’t sing. Tim offered him a throat massage to relieve his troubles. Kurt declined.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peppermint oil and a scalp massage is one of the best things you can do for a headache.

Last edited:
In the interview Tim Booth says "Memory’s a false thing anyway, we know that scientifically" and later states that "When Marr and Morrissey met, one of the things they shared was that they both had James’ first single". James first single was released in November 1983, a year and a half after that fateful day in Stretford.

Just listened to the first two EPs, still far better than "Sit down", etc.

for migraine, jus rest, no sound and a blinded [bed]room.

'and they say he's mentall'... my head my head my head ...

Well, no...for a migraine, there isn't much one can do. Silence and darkness and a cool pillow can help a little. What I was talking about with oil and massage is for the common tension headache, or for pain coming from sinus pressure. :)

Remember when Moz and Mick Ronson got a couples massage? I'll have to include that scene if I write the screenplay for Moz Auto.

Moz pointed out in his book that the popularity of The Smiths helped James get a hit single.

Peppermint oil and a scalp massage is one of the best things you can do for a headache.

What I was talking about with oil and massage is for the common tension headache, or for pain coming from sinus pressure. :)

Thanks for that, headache is mostly stress, or flu or a got a bad cold. I'm against just taking a pill, so I will try you're helping option.

'and they say he's mentall'... only massages from people whose job is to do that ...

Back
Top Bottom