Manchester - Manchester Arena (July 28, 2012) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

You Have Killed Me / Everyday Is Like Sunday / You're The One For Me, Fatty / How Soon Is Now? / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Maladjusted / Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me / When Last I Spoke To Carol / People Are The Same Everywhere / I Know It's Over / To Give (The Reason I Live) / Black Cloud / Scandinavia / Meat Is Murder / Let Me Kiss You / Action Is My Middle Name / I Will See You In Far Off Places / Speedway / Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want // Still Ill

set list provided by SimonM, Because. Order corrected by telegram-sam.

Last edited:
First seen morrisey 20 yrs ago and just had to see him again. Was a great night and so happy to see him again. I love you moz and always will! The next day we went to visit Salford lads club and seen the smiths room. Was really impressed.

From 2006: "I usually pick the songs that I'm sure people would least like to hear. And I'm never wrong. If I don't give people something to complain about then I've failed."

cool but let's at least get some different songs that people don't want to hear instead of the same ones over and over and over and over.......

Okay - setlist – here's something I posted earlier on another site:

We don’t issue commands to Morrissey to come and play in front of us for bags of gold. If we did, and he agreed, then we could dictate what he played. Morrissey comes to a venue near us with his band, his show and the songs he wants to sing. We decide if we want to go. On his terms. I am more than happy to go along on that basis and see the world of Morrissey – MorrisseysWorld is the only place to be. Hint hint

Stop f***ing whining about the setlist.

Morrissey plays what HE wants to play and 99% of the time it's better than any clown out there.

You will lose him if you keep treating him like shit.

Read the lyrics of "One day goodbye will be farewell" and "All you need is me" - prophetic lyrics.

No more to say.
xxx

What was it Moz said about shyness? "Some people are shy, i don't know why" then something after that.. Someone was screaming into my ear for no reason, so i didn't catch it all.

What was it Moz said about shyness? "Some people are shy, i don't know why" then something after that.. Someone was screaming into my ear for no reason, so i didn't catch it all.

He said that line twice

such a disappointing night. i was hoping for two encores (one of them First Of The Gang To Die) and it was Still Ill. It's a good song but not an encore. The first couple of songs were great but the middle 15 songs destroyed it I'm afraid 5/7 of the set. Truly and utterly gutted. Expecting so much and yet recieving very little. Change the script Mozz.

The lyric at the start of Please Please Please was from Let Me Sing And I'm Happy, an Al Jolson song written by Irving Berlin.

"Are there any more songs? " (john robb interview ) - yes (obviously!) but why does he need to play new songs when he has 100s of classic songs that still make us quiver with excitement and so on and so on and so on. Still ill sounds better now than it did then.

"Morrissey is the eternal misfit who still won’t play the game by its boring rules. Cantankerous, awkward, difficult he is the Mark Smith with the hits. A singer with a devoted worldwide fan base who criticise his gigs in minute detail and swoon at the mention of the man himself " (john robb interview)

- well, i can tell you now that every time I saw Mark Smith he was drunk and he was drunk
before he went on stage and his mates were also drunk too. In Sheffield he was drunk near the leadmill on several occassions and in other places he was drunk too. He would tell you to piss off when he was sober and he would tell you the same when he was drunk ! In the end, The Fall fell. Mark was drunk for an entire generation and Morrissey is - thankfully - nothing at all like Mark Smith with hits. After all, The Fall had 'independant' "hits" too. But you would all love Brix - she's just an angel on the guitar and in person - just as Gaynor Tension is an angel on the guitar...

Does every gig at the MEN finish early ? - yes ( i had the pleasure of the Spice Girls one night and that started early and finished early too. Ice Hocket also. Other concerts and Peter Kay ! )

References to awards and Manchester Evening News:

Liberal Democrat councillor Victor Chamberlain, who has suggested The Smiths should be the first group to be inducted into a Hall of Fame, said: "I think Morrissey is quite right. He’s been an inspiration to thousands of people and musicians around the world and I really admire his pursuit of vegetarianism and highlighting animal rights.

"He’s made such a contribution he really ought to be honoured."

City centre spokesman Pat Karney said he was surprised by Morrissey’s comments, but he would now push for an award. However, he would not be drawn on whether it would be the top honour the city can give – the Freedom of the City. Coun Karney says: "We never knew he was into wanting an award from the council but if he’s up for something I would love to meet him and see what he had in mind. "Bestowing the Freedom of the City is quite rare, that has only gone to people like Tony Wilson, Sir Alex Ferguson and Sir Matt Busby in recent times. But we did do a special Manchester Award for Take That. "We never knew Morrissey was interested in awards territory, but now that he’s made these remarks we will arrange to see him and go through what he thinks would be appropriate. "We honestly didn’t know he felt this way but with the passage of the years it’s something we will take seriously because he has represented Manchester across the world."

Trafford council leader Matt Colledge acknowledged Morrissey was ‘worthy in many respects’ of receiving a Freedom of the City award but said the matter would need to be looked into carefully.

- "People like Tony Wilson."
What on earth is that goat talking about ? Anthony Tony Wilson indeed. The man who couldn't run a record label nor a disco. The man who wasted so much money - 100s of thousands of pounds - and then finally had it's failed "factory" successfully converted into some apartments. Now leaving only a nearby "car park" on which factory people can parade the entire musical talents of Manchester's finest. Infact, FAC 51 has become a joke and leaves not so many happy memories at all. That Tony Wilson Mr Karney ?

Strawberry

Selfish tit!

Selfish? Not at all. I'm selfish because i stood up and wanted to see morrissey? Even though everyone else around me was stood up. Whats the point in sitting down and not getting into it. Boring people, thats what it is.

I had a great time, though I was positioned near the front, not too far from some drunk woman (i'm sure she's nice enough when she hasn't had the whole bottle) who nearly had Kristeen Young in tears. The crowd seemed split on whether that was a good thing. Also there was a handsome/shy looking blonde guy near the front row, who I walked alongside and thought about speaking to as we filed out, but didn't. Would've been nice to talk to someone about the gig. I should interact more. Awkward me.

As for the man himself I personally thought he was on top form, in excellent voice, quite chatty and happy to be home. It did become a bit subdued half way through, but picked up again at the end. He could've mixed the playlist up a bit more, but from past playlists, you know what to expect really. I think Moz sensed during a song or two that the crowd had faded away somewhat, but that wasn't the case for long and all in all I thought it was a night to remember.

Skipped the aftershow stuff, though would've probably checked places out if I hadn't gone to the concert on my own.

I was next to that drunk women too at the front, to the left!!! She kept batting me on the head with her waving arms!! As you say, I'm sure she's lovely when she's sober!

Amazing, utterly knicker-drenchingly fantastic. There was plenty of atmosphere where I was standing, I cried, laughed, sang my lungs out & danced my boots off!! My night was not even marred by the several people around me passing out during 'Meat is Murder'. As always left loving that man more than ever. x

I've not read everything on this thread so excuse me if this has been covered.

It seems that the setlist complaints boil down to Manchester sucked because he played When Last I Spoke To Carol, Black Cloud, Scandinavia and Action Is My Middle Name rather than Alma Matters, Shoplifters Of The World Unite and One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell, which were played instead in Edinburgh. Not sure I buy that really. -MR

I've not read everything on this thread so excuse me if this has been covered.

It seems that the setlist complaints boil down to Manchester sucked because he played When Last I Spoke To Carol, Black Cloud, Scandinavia and Action Is My Middle Name rather than Alma Matters, Shoplifters Of The World Unite and One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell, which were played instead in Edinburgh. Not sure I buy that really. -MR

I think the order seemed better at Edinburgh. The show did lose some of its sparkle at Manchester but this was probably due to the venue and the size and content of the crowd. A lot of people go to arena gigs for an evening out; a couple of drinks beforehand, a meal perhaps and a bit of light entertainment reminiscing about more youthful times. In Morrissey's case a lot of the audiences' youth was soundtracked by the Smiths.

Is that apostrophe correct?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom