Manchester - Manchester Arena (July 28, 2012) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

You Have Killed Me / Everyday Is Like Sunday / You're The One For Me, Fatty / How Soon Is Now? / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Maladjusted / Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me / When Last I Spoke To Carol / People Are The Same Everywhere / I Know It's Over / To Give (The Reason I Live) / Black Cloud / Scandinavia / Meat Is Murder / Let Me Kiss You / Action Is My Middle Name / I Will See You In Far Off Places / Speedway / Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want // Still Ill

set list provided by SimonM, Because. Order corrected by telegram-sam.

Last edited:
The only thing i was gutted about was having seating tickets. Got moaned at for standing up. What a joke! I wasnt paying all that money to be sat in my seat. Alot of people who were lucky enough to get standing tickets were stood by the back all night, not really enjoying it. Wasted tickets!! It may have been different down the front but from where i was not many people seemed to be having a good time. It wasnt Morrissey who made the evening ''flat'' it was some of the fans. Sort it out! And as for missing the start, you only have yourself to blame.

Selfish tit!

Hi all,

It's my first time posting on here. Saturday was my 13th Morrissey gig and I can honestly say I had a great night. There seems to be a lot of moaning about the night so I thought I would give my two penneth. Firstly the abuse Kristeen Young got was disgraceful, I don't personally like her, but wouldn't dream of treating another human being so badly. No respect whatsoever. Then the moaning about the start time. I made sure I was in there by 8, you never know what Morrissey will do, so always best prepared, and it did say start time was 7.30 on the ticket, really riles me when people start stumbling in pissed as farts at 5 to 9. Also the set list, why do people just expect that it will be the 'old classics' that are going to be sung? It wasn't billed as a greatest hits tour so surely you would expect an artist to play his new material. Sound wasn't fantastic, but it never is at the M.E.N and the crowd were nowhere near as enthusiastic as at his 45th Birthday Homecoming, but I think the crowd is changing a lot. Lots of young people who are only really interested in hearing Girlfriend in a Coma and EDILS. Also shocked that so many people have complained about the Meat is Murder video. I knew it was coming as he played the same VT at Leeds last year. Just look away, nobody is holding your head up to watch. He is a devout Vegetarian, he's hardly going to have spring lambs hopping through meadows as a backdrop. Anyway, I know I have ranted, but just wanted to say I loved Saturday night, as did my 15 year old niece who experienced her first Moz gig. My only complaint was the large group of Americans stood behind us that just shouted random shit throughout. Roll on the next gig x

I think all the comments sum up everything Morrissey wants.... A bit of friction, a fight, disagreement.. He can crowd please and play all the 'HITS' but why should he??

He has that many great songs, some stronger than others but there are obviously songs he feels intense closeness too and his performances on this tour it seems have never waivered even if song choice are questioned by certain people I know...

I thought it was a great concert, thought provoking, passionate and hey he still sells out the MEN practically with no air/radio or commercial support... ASbout the 10th I have seem him now and the only artist that divides opinion in such extreme measures.. It feels good to be part of that conversation

On another note I forgot to by a tee and can,t see them online.. Anyone know where i can get Morrissey 59 or Denis law tee from???

How ironic that Moz slags off Britain for occupying Northern Ireland and yet displays the flag of a country that is condemned by just about every civilised country in the world for illegally occupying Palestinian territory and allowing settlers to build homes there. He really has lost it!

Nuff said!

First of all, I love Morrissey and I always will. He is my hero. His lyrics and songs have changed my life. Does he have the most beautiful voice ever? I think so. We all have our 'off days' and I think he could of made the middle of the concert a little stronger, but he could sing anything for me. I cried at 'I know its over@ and had a tear in my eye at 'please, please, please'. Real goosebump moments.

I was suprised there was nothing 'extra special' about the show as it was in his home town.
What I have discovered is that I dont share all his beliefs. I went to the concert to listen to his voice and his songs. It didnt do him any favours slagging off Kate and Wills with those T-shirts, and the olympics too.

For the guys lucky enough to grab the mic, why did nobody ask him when The Smiths are reforming?

I find that nowadays, I get as much pleasure from the tribute bands now. The Smiths Indeed, The Smyths and The Smiths Ltd keeping the sound of The Smiths alive. (Did I see Johnny from The Smiths Ltd in Manchester?). Im new to this forum so please excuse me asking if there are other tribute acts on the circuit and where they play.

Still had a fantastic night thou.

Morrissey - Love you to bits and always will

Gaynor Tension - Can I have your phone number please?

It is always interesting hearing the array of views on his gigs. The gigs are what they are these days, bit of this, bit of that, no major surprises. Still surprised that people feel shortchanged or did not get to hear the songs they wanted. You have to wonder if they have even looked at his setlists, listened to any of his records in the last few years or watched the Glasto performance (if you want to pull it out of the bag with a classic greatest hits set, get instant global attention, new fans, record sales and maybe a record deal that was the place to do it, but it was business as usual, with the classic festival killers..”some new ones”). MEN was a good show, not terrible, not great.
But the MEN is not the venue for Morrissey, the 2004 ‘comeback special’ managed to generate a good atmosphere and energy, but when I Iooked around me on Saturday during MIM and Maladjusted for example, folk were yawning, tweeting etc. There’s no doubt if you go and see him in a small venue like the last tour then the experience is completely different. The songs are powerful and in your face, uncompromising, while at the MEN in some parts I imagine they just sounded like noise.
The fanbase is now as old as Mozza, me included, and lots of them go for a meal, take the partner, missus, kids even to the gig. They are past the crowd surfing, shirt ripping, stage diving days now and many are quite content with a seat, and so if someone is leaping around on front of them (as I was), they are perfectly right to ask them to sit or move (so I moved), and there are very few new young fans to recharge the atmosphere, partly because there has been a dearth of new musical output from Moz. So the energy at the gigs is changing, well diminishing really and it was that great energy/tension between Moz and the fans that created some special nights. My last stage attempt was at Hop Farm aged 46 (only because the surprise of Panic as the encore overwhelmed me in the moment) and that got me a bad back for a week and a dispersal order so Ive called time on that, but I do still enjoy the brave attempts by some to give it a go. The sense of a happening has almost disappeared and the days of a Smiths/Moz t shirt being the compulsory, we are all in it together, accessory, is also becoming absent. There is a sense it is all just tailing off, running out of steam.
That gang mentality seems to have gone from the band and while they do what they do fine, I don’t get the sense of ‘all for one’ like there used to be. For whatever reason, in joke or something, the sight of Boz in a dress, just gave me a sense of sadness. The other lads have been parading around in gold hot pants during the tour. The day you see Nick Cave getting Warren Ellis into some hot pants...!
And it is just odd to think of Moz and his outstanding canon (30 years worth) of work being unable to sell out his hometown for his only English gig. While last month we stood in a field watching the Roses, who have lets say, a lessor canon of work to draw on, and they had 24,000 people on the guest list alone over the weekend. Now is there a message in that.........the reformation? Not really, I am not fussed if it ever happens because of course we’ll all have to stand in fields somewhere, probably in the rain, as far removed as you could ever get from the intimacy of the band.
But I was reading some bits about when Joe Strummer realised he had monumentally fxxcked up by chucking Mick Jones out of the Clash. And he never could properly bring himself to sort that out and although they did a little work together years later, musically both futures dimmed from then on. There was that one great moment when Mick Jones was in the crowd for a Mescaleros gig and just said to the bloke next to him “take my coat” and he wandered up on stage, picked up a guitar and played a few songs with Joe. There are very few truly great musical partnerships and Morrissy and Marr were right up there.
If he can never do anything with Johnny again to change things around a bit, then maybe some sort of complete change would suit him. Morrissey’s beautiful voice with an orchestra?, Paul Weller has continued to grow in stature and credibility as Moz’s star has faded, for example. He’s been playing three mini sets, new stuff, acoustic and favourites to end the night. I just think if Moz is to do himself justice things cannot continue like this. Moz has always said he was not a performing seal just churning out the same performance night after night, but the setlists know that to be a lie mostly with some songs, FOTG, spanning a decade at least.
Anyway thats my tuppence worth. All that said now thinking about going for a bit of the American tour to see if different venues, different people offer something else. But people are the same everywhere!

On another note I forgot to by a tee and can,t see them online.. Anyone know where i can get Morrissey 59 or Denis law tee from???

Ebay is probably your best chance.

This is the original Denis Law picture
14160.2.jpg

Morrissey must have spent a long time recreating the pose on a football pitch
attachment.php

Although I found the gig somewhat lacking I should have added in Morrissey's defence his singing voice improves with age. There is a real craft there which make the lack of recent great songs an ever-growing travesty.

Really enjoyed the Manchester gig, it was around top 5 for me out of the 21 I've now been to. It was the first one since '99 I had been to that didn't feature First Of The Gang and Irish Blood, this made a nice change really, both are great songs but they had become slightly overplayed I thought. The voice is clearly as good as ever, and there were plenty of highlights for me - Sunday, Please Please Please, I Know It's Over, Paris, Action, I Will See You In Far Off Places and Still Ill. I didn't particularly like Kristeen Young being disrespected by some idiots shouting abuse and chanting for Morrissey while she does her thing, but overall a most enjoyable night.

I think it's amazing Morrissey still manages to sell-out MEN arena without TV & radio appearances, no record deal - virtually zero promotion.

MEN looked pretty full to me, I'd say 90% full. But yes, like many people have said previously, he is better suited to smaller venues. That's where you get the electric atmosphere. He is not a stadium act.

There seems to be some pretty different views on here of the show, having seen Morrissey many times I would have to say the show was just okay with one or two moments of inspiration. Firstly the early stage time, agree it is a case to a degree of boo hoo should have got their earlier (myself included, I missed the first two songs) but I will say big arena shows always open doors earlier due to the amount of people to get through the doors but it did say at the box office show starts at 7.30pm (support) and ends at 11pm. I knew it would not end that late as he always plays for around 1hr 15 - 1hr 20 and have never known him to come on before 9 before so it was a bit weird. I can understand coming on so early if you are going to play a 2 hour plus set but keeping in mind how short the set is I think it was a bit off coming on so early as he must have known it would catch some people off guard. As for the actual show as I say it was just about okay. There will always be debate over the set and I have to say I can't figure why he would play something like To Give (The Reason I Live) when he has one of the greatest back catalogues in music to choose from. I would agree the set is not much of a crowd pleaser but some would argue and rightly so I guess that Morrissey is an artist and not an entertainer but he contradicts that by just being so damn predictable these days. My main gripe is the fact that what we got was give or take a song or two the exact same songs he was playing last year and that I don't get. The reasons could be a)that he feels that only these songs in his whole catalogue convey best exactly what he is feeling and going through right now (doubtful!!) or b) this tour is pretty much all about money, this would be down to the fact that if the band were to learn a brand new set it would cost quite a bit of dough in rehearsals, band wages, crew wages, hiring a room etc for a few weeks rehearsals so they could get a new set down, this also makes sense when you think about the shabby production at MEN on saturday, I don't think I have ever seen such a small production for an arena show, especially no screens at the side for the people at the back, again saving money...I can't remember if he had screens at earls court but he def did at old trafford for move fest) or c)he really is not that bothered anymore. I would guess it would be b) with an element of c). More than badly chosen set lists that dip badly at points I find it mind blowing that these days he just plays the same damn songs over and over that he did on last years tour, jesus he has so much to pick from. I remember seeing him at the festival hall at the start of the quarry tour and by earls court at the end of the year the set had changed quite a bit with the addition of a load of new songs but back then Morrissey was definitely riding the wave and right now I think he is just bored. I'm also not just harping on about playing the early stuff, I really love the last three records as well but for the love of god how many times do we need to hear Black Cloud? anyway for me the show was sedate for the most part and seemed to be a lot of going through the motions except once or twice he came alive, I will See You In Far Off Places was a real bring the walls down moment for me for example but he seemed to sleepwalk through Speedway for example. I hope he does get a deal soon and has a chance to get creative I really do as he seems to be in a rut, lots of opinions about the new songs but again we are getting the same ones over and over..I actually do really like Action Is My Middle Name and Scandanavia for example but are they really up there with his best work? probably not. It's hard to know where he is going to go from here as he seems to be painting himself into a corner. Morrissey used to keep us all guessing but now when I go to a show I know pretty much exactly what I am going to get and that's a shame. I will always make an effort to go see him and if and when a new record comes out I will always be there the day of release because some artists you just have to support through good or bad and he is one of the best there has ever been but I really hope he gets out of this awful rut by the next time he tours. Sorry to be negative this is just how I feel and I'm trying to stay respectful. On a final note, this site used to be such a cool place but now I can't understand some of the horrible comments, this man has given us so much and constructive criticism is fine but please take all the filth and hatred outside for all our sakes.

It is always interesting hearing the array of views on his gigs. The gigs are what they are these days, bit of this, bit of that, no major surprises. Still surprised that people feel shortchanged or did not get to hear the songs they wanted. You have to wonder if they have even looked at his setlists, listened to any of his records in the last few years or watched the Glasto performance (if you want to pull it out of the bag with a classic greatest hits set, get instant global attention, new fans, record sales and maybe a record deal that was the place to do it, but it was business as usual, with the classic festival killers..”some new ones”). MEN was a good show, not terrible, not great.
But the MEN is not the venue for Morrissey, the 2004 ‘comeback special’ managed to generate a good atmosphere and energy, but when I Iooked around me on Saturday during MIM and Maladjusted for example, folk were yawning, tweeting etc. There’s no doubt if you go and see him in a small venue like the last tour then the experience is completely different. The songs are powerful and in your face, uncompromising, while at the MEN in some parts I imagine they just sounded like noise.
The fanbase is now as old as Mozza, me included, and lots of them go for a meal, take the partner, missus, kids even to the gig. They are past the crowd surfing, shirt ripping, stage diving days now and many are quite content with a seat, and so if someone is leaping around on front of them (as I was), they are perfectly right to ask them to sit or move (so I moved), and there are very few new young fans to recharge the atmosphere, partly because there has been a dearth of new musical output from Moz. So the energy at the gigs is changing, well diminishing really and it was that great energy/tension between Moz and the fans that created some special nights. My last stage attempt was at Hop Farm aged 46 (only because the surprise of Panic as the encore overwhelmed me in the moment) and that got me a bad back for a week and a dispersal order so Ive called time on that, but I do still enjoy the brave attempts by some to give it a go. The sense of a happening has almost disappeared and the days of a Smiths/Moz t shirt being the compulsory, we are all in it together, accessory, is also becoming absent. There is a sense it is all just tailing off, running out of steam.
That gang mentality seems to have gone from the band and while they do what they do fine, I don’t get the sense of ‘all for one’ like there used to be. For whatever reason, in joke or something, the sight of Boz in a dress, just gave me a sense of sadness. The other lads have been parading around in gold hot pants during the tour. The day you see Nick Cave getting Warren Ellis into some hot pants...!
And it is just odd to think of Moz and his outstanding canon (30 years worth) of work being unable to sell out his hometown for his only English gig. While last month we stood in a field watching the Roses, who have lets say, a lessor canon of work to draw on, and they had 24,000 people on the guest list alone over the weekend. Now is there a message in that.........the reformation? Not really, I am not fussed if it ever happens because of course we’ll all have to stand in fields somewhere, probably in the rain, as far removed as you could ever get from the intimacy of the band.
But I was reading some bits about when Joe Strummer realised he had monumentally fxxcked up by chucking Mick Jones out of the Clash. And he never could properly bring himself to sort that out and although they did a little work together years later, musically both futures dimmed from then on. There was that one great moment when Mick Jones was in the crowd for a Mescaleros gig and just said to the bloke next to him “take my coat” and he wandered up on stage, picked up a guitar and played a few songs with Joe. There are very few truly great musical partnerships and Morrissy and Marr were right up there.
If he can never do anything with Johnny again to change things around a bit, then maybe some sort of complete change would suit him. Morrissey’s beautiful voice with an orchestra?, Paul Weller has continued to grow in stature and credibility as Moz’s star has faded, for example. He’s been playing three mini sets, new stuff, acoustic and favourites to end the night. I just think if Moz is to do himself justice things cannot continue like this. Moz has always said he was not a performing seal just churning out the same performance night after night, but the setlists know that to be a lie mostly with some songs, FOTG, spanning a decade at least.
Anyway thats my tuppence worth. All that said now thinking about going for a bit of the American tour to see if different venues, different people offer something else. But people are the same everywhere!

Really really good post and I would say more or less the truth speaking. Good voice of reason to the hateful people on here who just slag everything and the lemmings who would still be saying it was amazing if he was playing the same set for the next five years. spot on post.noting more to add really. oh one last thing, these image verifications are getting impossible to read at times now.

Sums it up pretty well.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Does anyone know the names of the songs/ videos played before the band came on?
I would like to know this also

Info about the video clips is listed 2012 live FAQ and directory

A man announced the class is about to begin
Mighty Joe - Shocking Blue
Whole A Lot Of Shaking Going On - Vince Taylor
Edith Sitwell interview
Bubble Gum - Brigitte Bardot
All Over The World - Françoise Hardy
James Baldwin interview
Like A Tiger - Fabian
Never Turn Back On Mother Earth- The Sparks
I'm Looking For A Kiss - NYD
Lypsinka

Last edited:
"Action is my middle name" could easily be a hit single - although "hit singles" don't really exsist anymore, it's all downloads - and who wants to download a Morrissey single??? The good days have gone, we are all doomed and force-fed corporate shit. End of. We are doomed.

From 2006: "I usually pick the songs that I'm sure people would least like to hear. And I'm never wrong. If I don't give people something to complain about then I've failed."

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom