Manchester Date Added, Manchester Arena, Saturday 28 July - TTY Update

I'd love to go but my boyfriend wouldn't. :(

epic fail, some of the best Moz gigs I've been to have been "flying solo" and seeing him in Manchester is always special

whats the distance from the 'barrier that holds the crowd' (?:S) to the stage at the manchester arena??

Hi all!
I am new in here (although I think that some many years ago I did try to follow the forum but without any success.. ) but very old in Moz-land! ;)
I will be coming from Dublin to Manchester to see Morrissey one more time ... without my boyfriend.. :p
I hope you see you all there!

What are the rules about drinking alcohol in the queue? We plan on arriving very early to secure a place near the front and we want to get a bit merry, do they care?

What are the rules about drinking alcohol in the queue? We plan on arriving very early to secure a place near the front and we want to get a bit merry, do they care?

Very early = ?
Well if it's that early no one will see you :p

I work at the venue, amongst many other venues across Britain. I've also done security on each moz uk tour since '04.

Distance between barrier & stage varies at the arena, but for moz it's usually 8 feet - no one's stupid, we know you wish to meet the man. But it's not allowed to happen - that decision is made by his production, & his personal security - 3 more gentle sweethearts you could not wish to meet, but don't cross them...they don't suffer fools at all...

Drinking in the queue? Really not recommended - the cctv will spot you, we'll be advised, & when the doors open, you'll be thoroughly searched, & then potentially refused entry on grounds of intoxication. & even though we have 3 separate sets of doors, info (visual description, reason for refusal etc.) is passed between doors to ensure that a refusal at 1 door means a refusal at All doors. Again, no one's stupid - & these days, you wouldn't expect to get past the doorstaff at a pub/club if you're drunk - don't spoil it for yourself, y'know?

& finally, we don't separate standing/100 level tickets until you reach the floor entrances - & for moz, it'll be 2 staff per floor entrance, as opposed to 1 - again, we're not stupid...

I work at the venue, amongst many other venues across Britain. I've also done security on each moz uk tour since '04.

Distance between barrier & stage varies at the arena, but for moz it's usually 8 feet - no one's stupid, we know you wish to meet the man. But it's not allowed to happen - that decision is made by his production, & his personal security - 3 more gentle sweethearts you could not wish to meet, but don't cross them...they don't suffer fools at all...

Drinking in the queue? Really not recommended - the cctv will spot you, we'll be advised, & when the doors open, you'll be thoroughly searched, & then potentially refused entry on grounds of intoxication. & even though we have 3 separate sets of doors, info (visual description, reason for refusal etc.) is passed between doors to ensure that a refusal at 1 door means a refusal at All doors. Again, no one's stupid - & these days, you wouldn't expect to get past the doorstaff at a pub/club if you're drunk - don't spoil it for yourself, y'know?

& finally, we don't separate standing/100 level tickets until you reach the floor entrances - & for moz, it'll be 2 staff per floor entrance, as opposed to 1 - again, we're not stupid...

jesus christ 8 feet? and another lets say 6 feet the hight of the stage ahahahhaah you need long jump gold medalist to get up there :S

But is there actually any rule against drinking in the queue full stop or are there just rules against being overly drunk?

Have tickets for this gig been posted out yet? I bought 4 standing tickets via Seatwave and haven't seen them yet. Will be travelling down from Aberdeen next Thursday so starting to get a little bit twitchy, but Seatwave do state tickets often get posted a week before. Any info appreciated - I've never had to use the likes of Seatwave before, but those standing tickets disappeared off Ticketmaster pretty much instantly.

Anyhoo, can't wait for this gig and the Edinburgh one too!

But is there actually any rule against drinking in the queue full stop or are there just rules against being overly drunk?

You're queueing on private property - think about it...& it's part of Victoria Station, which is patrolled by British Transport Police...

Just bought a standing ticket on Ticketmaster if anyone still needs one...

Do as you please. Be discreet and you won't have any trouble.

That bloke talking about stopping intoxiacted people getting in the venue ffs :D. It's a Saturday night in Manchester; half of those there are gonne be pissed up. And the gig'll be much better for it :)

"I I wear a uniform and think I'm important as I am allowed to beat people up in my job role."

Are you PC Simon Harwood?

Anonymous...ok I forgot my login details...Fail

Hitting Manchester early doors...Where the hell do we go for some pre Moz music and refreshments...

Thanks in advance.

EXPECT likes of Morrissey 23 and a certain swedish girl get LOTS of unwanted attention next week......NO TICKET - NO ENTRY!

I should be arriving in Manchester around 1-2 on Saturday depending on traffic, how early do you reckon I would have to start queuing to get within the first 4-5 rows?

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=04/05/19/0737236

(Before
YouTube)

Excerpts from MEN 2004:-

"I just got home and I'm exhausted after standing for 9+ hours!"

"Got to agree with the negative posters here.
The show was ok, the band was ok and Moz was ok BUT nothing more than that...."

"Well this trip to the U.K. has been briliant! Tonight's show was incerdible. I was in Block 114 Row N Seat 24 but moved a few rows down to flirt with the lovely Usa from Sweden- who I metin Los Angeles and Las Vega$ in 2002 at shows and by strange coincidence was here tonight ;^) Morrissey put on a fantastic show that was a little bit longer than the ussua gig lately -l closer to 90 minutes tonight rather than the ussual hour. The people here in Manchester are great- and I met up with several fellow Moz Angeles fans yesterday on the "MozBus" tour including David Tseng"

"As always i went alone to see morrissey, traveling from coventry, got there at 9, didnt see the 1st song but heard it while i was looking for the door that would lead to my place.
I was in 114 or 104 not sure, it wasnt very close to the stage. sang all the concert but the only thing it was not so good was the people around me werent very excited, and the guy in my front was just stopped as i was shouting the songs, he seemed to not even know them, and seemed bored. bah
I didnt have an hotel, so after hours in the coach station, being like 4am, some people decided to get a taxi to go to london passing by coventry and they needed one more to make 5 and split the money, so i went along. It was really cool because we put Smiths singles and bona drag on the radio and came singing along all way. It was really cool to meet them, so if ur one of them, repply hehe.
Great night, time to sleep"

"I thought the show was great. Plenty of Smiths stuff, new stuff sounded excellent live APART FROM the best track on the album - 'I'm Not Sorry' seemed to me to be the weakest song tonight. Strange.
Can I also say something about standing in seated areas. I'm not the most flamboyant character. When I am sat listening to the music and watching the spectacle, I am enjoying myself. Some bloke in front of me was turning around asking people to stand up. Sod off. I don't want to take part in your violent arm thrusts during 'There is a light'. I also don't want to block anyone elses view. I was there to enjoy myself - not to make sure that YOU enjoy yourself. Let us 'sitters' enjoy the show in our own way, and not yours."

"Morrissey in top form, good mixture of new and old songs from his solo career and 5 Smiths songs, the most I have ever seen him play.
Had tickets at the front of block 113 lower tier and I do agree it was rather quiet at times in the seated areas, managed to jump over the security barrier and made my way to the front halfway through the set. It was like being at a different gig (glad I did jump over), very rowdy crowd but not in a violent way. "

"What a great experience that was. I've no idea who the numptys complaining are - were they actually there? did they know any of the material? The atmosphere before the show was electric - tense expectation filled the air, then there was THAT Margi Clarke [sic] spoken intro that seemed to last forever before Moz came on - the crowd went wild.
I was in 104 seated but we all stood, danced and sang along. Highlights for me were How Can anybody Possibly Know How I Feel - that track rocks live, plus a stunningly beautiful rendition of EDILS and I Have Forgiven Jesus. Goes without saying that to end on Shoplifters and encore with TIALTNGO literally blew the roof off the place.
Shame so many "non fans" seemed to get in. why do these people decide to go? Perhaps it was the place to be "seen" last night. And while we're on that subject, the good old British disease of alcohol was rampant too. Never seen so many pissheads at a Moz gig before. I feel sorry for the geniune fans who had to sit/stang/get jostled by these morons.
Nice touch was the pack of badges on the seats including a special "He stole all hearts away - 22.5.04" one. Lets guess how much they'll go for on Ebay in ghe coming weeks!
The sound was good, not the best mix I've heard (a little Bass heavy on some tracks) but Mozzer's voice was strong and pure throughout. Alain's guitar tuning went walkabout on The Headmaster Ritual which was a shame but it was still a kicking version.
He really seemed to be enjoying himself and the banter was on top form. I'm sure he'll remember 22.5.04 the night he returned to Manchester for a long time to come as will those that were there for the music and not just the beer.
The cameras were rolling too - a notice as you went in said "tonight's performance being recorded for DVD and TV" so its gonna surface on DVD at some point.
I took my 15 year old nu-metal loving daughter who's been brought up on the Moz and she absolutely loved it. She's gone out this morning sporting her new Moz YATQ tee-shirt to educate her mates "They've never heard of Morrissey" she told me. Go tell 'em girl!
This night has opened my eyes........"

"That was my first Moz gig and definitely the best gig I have ever been to. I was very close to the front of the stage and found myself crying my eyes out during "I Have Forgiven Jesus" and "I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday". Thanks to those who joined in singing "Now My Heart Is Full" with me in an attempt to get th'lads to play it but sadly it wasn't enough. No one around me knew what "No One Can Hold a Candle to You" was, so I taught them by singing along merrily :)
Also, the attempts to get me to crowd surf during "There Is a Light" proved futile. Thanks to those spineless bastards who dropped me below the moshing masses! Heh, nah, don't mind really. I was right infront of Moz when I went up, and considering my height, I fancied my chances of getting a touch of the great one's hand!
The melee for one of Moz's shirt afterwards got pretty out of hand. My word!
Thank you Moz and th'lads for a great night. Manchester really doesn't anything to answer for now."

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom