Manchester Apollo 23rd May, How Did It Go?

Apollo Saturday May 23, 2009

ApolloSat1.jpg

Pretty sure I can see myself in this one too! :D

I thought that Saturday's gig was better than Friday's. Mainly because I was much closer on the Saturday, but I dunno, it just seemed to be a much better gig, and I didn't really notice the difference in length between the two nights. I also didn't have one single alcoholic drink on the Saturday, so I was feeling much better.

Also, I had the pleasure of meeting No Place Like Rome.

The pleasure was all mine:lbf:

I managed to get my hands on a pair of tickets and was standing just before halfway on the right-hand side. I'd had a few beers in that boozer next door and my recollection of some songs are only just coming back to me:squiffy:

Me and girlfriend (her first Morrissey gig) got caught in the pushing a little bit but it wasn't as mental as it looked futher in. Surprised they weren't handing out cups of water like at The Specials gig I went to at the same venue about 3 weeks ago.

Highlights included WDYFOFY, one of my favourite Morrissey songs and IKMH. Was well chuffed that he brought both of them out. "...Hidden" is an interesting choice though...

I managed to get my hands on a pair of tickets and was standing just before halfway on the right-hand side. I'd had a few beers in that boozer next door and my recollection of some songs are only just coming back to me:squiffy:

Me and girlfriend (her first Morrissey gig) got caught in the pushing a little bit but it wasn't as mental as it looked futher in. Surprised they weren't handing out cups of water like at The Specials gig I went to at the same venue about 3 weeks ago.

Highlights included WDYFOFY, one of my favourite Morrissey songs and IKMH. Was well chuffed that he brought both of them out. "...Hidden" is an interesting choice though...

They were! Very helpfully distributed by kind folks at the front as well I thought...

They bloody well never reached us!

Only the empty plastic glasses reached us and we were up front. It was much hotter on Saturday night and far more packed with bodies at the front. I've still got the aches!

I was also at that Specials gig the other week. It was a belter wasn't it? You could stand at the back and still be in the 'mosh pit'!:guitar:

Last edited:
Mint Gig shame about the thugs with a disregard fer the small. Like a said to one why would morrissey shake a tossers hand like yours. Amazing sound a thought cause he cancelled a lot his voice would be a bit dodgey but he surprised me. Loved his witty comments esspessially the one about how wearing brown effects him. Good times and fingers crossed al either seem him again in london or the north west this year!

Nowhere near as much anticipation in the crowd - I was in a similar position to last night (in the gods in the rear circle) - where last night everyone was up on their feet singing and dancing, tonight loads were sat down.

Yes, I was in the centre of the rear circle on the 22nd and the atmosphere there was amazing. Lots of dancing with the young lady along side me:blushingand the sound was very good indeed. Where I filmed 'When I Last Spoke To Carol' was exactly where I was.

Oh I wish 'Girlfriend In A Coma' was off the set list forever, but I suppose it's an easy song to sing, so that's the reason it's always played when I go.

Dave2006 rightly points out that it was a shorter set tonight (9.15pm to 10.35pm), probably because Mister Morrissey seemed to be afflicted by some vocal gremlins.

As far as I can recollect, the only song that was performed tonight which wasn't played at last night's 50th birthday gig was Seasick, Yet Still Docked. Delighted to hear this one live at long last!

Setlist (from memory, so probably not in the correct order):

This Charming Man / Irish Blood, English Heart / Black Cloud / How Soon Is Now? / How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel? / Girlfriend In A Coma / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Best Friend On The Payroll / Let Me Kiss You / Ask / Something Is Squeezing My Skull / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself? / Seasick, Yet Still Docked / I Keep Mine Hidden / When Last I Spoke To Carol / Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others / The Loop / I'm OK By Myself / First Of The Gang To Die/Would You Like To Swing On A Star.

Didn't you get the pleasure of 'The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores' on Saturday? :guitar:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom