Manc binmen refuse to collect Scouser's rubbish

How proud those two men must be for verbally threatening a young woman.

They are paid to do a job but are so hateful with prejudice that they refuse to provide that service. Segregation is alive and well in Manchester.

They are paid to do a job but are so hateful with prejudice that they refuse to provide that service. Segregation is alive and well in Manchester.

Nothing else is...

Quite right. We have a bin for our bottles & cans, one for garden waste and another for general household stuff. Don't get me started on paper and cardboard though!

;)

I don't get "Manc". Shouldn't it be "Manch" and rhyme with Blanche? But "Scouser"? That makes no sense at all.

Anyway, I found this guide to understanding Scouser's.

f you can't beat the Scouse, join the Scouse! Here's all you need to know!

* sly/arlarse/tight = unfair---
* munney = cash---
* munneyshitter = cash machine---
* bender = homosexual---
* nicked/grafted = stolen---
* Bezzie = best friend/mate---
* class = marvelous---
* Crimbo = Christmas---
* Ciggie = a cigarette---
* shit = defective---
* f***in wool = person from Saint Helens
* Footy = Football---
* les/dyke = lesbian---
* scum/pigs/bisie/rozzers/titheads = police---
* gorra = got---
* gorroff(as in "I gorroff with her")= got some
* smashed/pissed/bevvied/rat-arsed = drunk---
* butt = headbutt---
* bifter = cigarette---
* lecky = electric---
* sexy ho = Your mum---
* quid or nicker = pound---
* alass = out of order---
* ozzy = hospital---
* offy = store that sells primarily alcohol
* asif = overtime---
* Queen = term of endearment for women---
* queer = homosexual---
* flid/dumfuk = stupid---
* retarded mong = stupid---
* dick 'edd = stupid---
* Spaced out/blitz/stoned/monged = on drugs---
* Shite = see shit.
* blade = a special, sharp, pointy friend---
* ah clurrgh = Our Claire
* smackhed = you---
* fukin ell shu up = good God, SHUT UP!
* speccy twat = individual with glasses
* de sun = toilet paper
* yerwah? = What was that?
* Goff!! = Individual
* Propa' Hellshot = Good shot old chap
* Anno Lad = I am aware
* Iz rite lad = I agree
* the scum = Manchester United/the sun newspaper
* Ckkalm dowwwn Ckkalm dowwwn = calm down chap your manner is beginning to become out of hand.
* Me Ma'll deck ya = (If you persist in this) my mother will hit you
* Mike Follett = Thieving scouse bastard = Tom Lamont
* Boss - f***ing awsome

I don't get "Manc". Shouldn't it be "Manch" and rhyme with Blanche? But "Scouser"? That makes no sense at all.

* munney = cash---
* bender = homosexual---
* class = marvelous---
* Crimbo = Christmas---
* shit = defective---
* Footy = Football---
* les/dyke = lesbian---
* gorra = got---
* butt = headbutt---
* bifter = cigarette---
* lecky = electric---
* sexy ho = Your mum---
* ozzy = hospital---
* asif = overtime---
* queer = homosexual---
* dick 'edd = stupid---
* Shite = see shit.
* smackhed = you---
* de sun = toilet paper
* Goff!! = Individual
* Anno Lad = I am aware
* Iz rite lad = I agree
* Ckkalm dowwwn Ckkalm dowwwn = calm down chap your manner is beginning to become out of hand.
* Boss - f***ing awsome

I think that it was first used to describe the accent, rather than the people (Manc that is). We used to be in Lancashire, where the accent was called Lanky. So it kind of came from that. This is not the official answer, just what I've always assumed?

Have you never had a pan of scouse, then, Dave? Lucky thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scouser

Dave the Dog, click on the link for a potted history or Scouse / Scouser.
It doesn't mention that a traditional Liverpool meal of older times was 'Scouse' (a pan of Scouse) which is a cabbaged base dish with other veg in there (usually the day before's left overs with cabbage!)

As brel said, it is linked in with the dialect.
The Scouse accent is my favourite accent of all in the UK (after Manc, of course:thumb:) No warra mean like lar?

Jukebox Jury

"...Lisa Harris, from Stalybridge, chased the men down her road when they refused to take her rubbish..."

That would have been interesting to watch.

In the 18th and 19th centuries Liverpool, being a major seaport, found itself inundated with foreign seamen, especially Norwegians, looking for a berth on any ship. There is still a Scandinavian Seamen's Church in Liverpool built in the 19th century. Scandinavian seamen's churches proliferated in many British ports in the late 19th century and it is therefore probable that these incomers brought their recipes to Liverpool.

A "pan of scouse" became a common meal in working class Liverpool. A thickened stew, usually of mutton or lamb with vegetables slow cooked to tenderise cheap cuts of meat, it takes its name from the Norwegian for stew, "lapskaus". The shortened and anglicised version of this Norwegian word is "scouse" and is part of a genre of slang terms which refer to people by stereotypes of their dietary habits, i.e. Pom, Limey, Rosbif (Australian, American and French slang respectively for the English), and Kraut (an English colloquial ethnonym for a German).

The traditional recipe for Liverpool Scouse consists of a cheap cut of lamb, or in earlier days, mutton (such as breast, forequarter or "scrag end of neck"), removed from the bone and browned in a large saucepan, to which are added chopped onions, carrots, and water or meat stock, to which are added as many potatoes as possible. The sauce is not thickened, and it is usual to serve with preserved beetroot or red cabbage and white bread with butter. An even more impoverished variety of this dish is 'blind Scouse', which features no meat. :thumb:Either recipe should more rightly be considered a potato stew.

When I was little I had blind scouse every Sunday with beetroot (if lucky) with bread and butter (well margarine)

In the 18th and 19th centuries Liverpool, being a major seaport, found itself inundated with foreign seamen, especially Norwegians, looking for a berth on any ship. There is still a Scandinavian Seamen's Church in Liverpool built in the 19th century. Scandinavian seamen's churches proliferated in many British ports in the late 19th century and it is therefore probable that these incomers brought their recipes to Liverpool.

A "pan of scouse" became a common meal in working class Liverpool. A thickened stew, usually of mutton or lamb with vegetables slow cooked to tenderise cheap cuts of meat, it takes its name from the Norwegian for stew, "lapskaus". The shortened and anglicised version of this Norwegian word is "scouse" and is part of a genre of slang terms which refer to people by stereotypes of their dietary habits, i.e. Pom, Limey, Rosbif (Australian, American and French slang respectively for the English), and Kraut (an English colloquial ethnonym for a German).

The traditional recipe for Liverpool Scouse consists of a cheap cut of lamb, or in earlier days, mutton (such as breast, forequarter or "scrag end of neck"), removed from the bone and browned in a large saucepan, to which are added chopped onions, carrots, and water or meat stock, to which are added as many potatoes as possible. The sauce is not thickened, and it is usual to serve with preserved beetroot or red cabbage and white bread with butter. An even more impoverished variety of this dish is 'blind Scouse', which features no meat. :thumb:Either recipe should more rightly be considered a potato stew.

When I was little I had blind scouse every Sunday with beetroot (if lucky) with bread and butter (well margarine)

lainey
Pom..... what is that about then (food related) with the Aussies?
I thought Pom was Prisoner of Motherland.

Your Scandinavian explanation makes it clearer as to why lots of Swedes, Danes and Norweigans flock to Anfield every other week (and left gutted last night:laughing:)

Jukebox Jury

lainey
Pom..... what is that about then (food related) with the Aussies?
I thought Pom was Prisoner of Motherland.

Jukebox Jury

pommy originated as a contraction of "pomegranate" turning their fair skin the colour of pomegranates

pommy originated as a contraction of "pomegranate" turning their fair skin the colour of pomegranates

Hmmmm I thought you would say pomegranates but didn't know why that would be the term used (as they are not grown over here ha ha).
Never heard that before (goes over to Wiki:thumb:)

*Wiki*
Pommy
It was used as a derogatory term.

It is often shortened to pom. The origin of this term is not confirmed and there are several persistent false etymologies. The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) strongly supports the theory that pommy originated as a contraction of "pomegranate".[1] The OED also suggests that the reason for this is that pomegranate is extinct Australian rhyming slang for immigrant; it cites an article from 14 November 1912, in a once-prominent Australian weekly magazine The Bulletin: "The other day a Pummy Grant (assisted immigrant) was handed a bridle and told to catch a horse." A popular alternative explanation for the theory that pommy is a contraction of "pomegranate", relates to the purported frequency of sunburn among British people in Australia, turning their fair skin the colour of pomegranates.[2] However, there is no hard evidence for the theory regarding sunburn.

A false etymology (or "backronym") common in both Australia and New Zealand is that 'Pom' originated as an acronym for "prisoner of (his/her) majesty" or "prisoner of mother England". Although many of the first British settlers in Australia were convicts sentenced to transportation to Australia, there is no evidence for this. Some proponents of this theory claim that upon arrival in the country they would be given a uniform with "POHM" or "POME" emblazoned on the back, which apparently stood for Prisoners Of Maidenhead Prison but there are no images or examples of these uniforms. In another variant, the term is an acronym for 'Product of Mother England'.

Other etymologies which are unsupported by evidence include:

"Prisoner of his majesty" (King George Third 1760-1820)
"prisoner of Millbank", after the area of London where prisoners were held prior to transportation;
it is rhyming slang for tommy, international slang for a British soldier;
an acronym for "Port of Melbourne". However, the term "pommy" was coined long before POM was used as acronym for the port.
a reference to the usage of scented handkerchiefs or pomanders by upper class British to mask unpleasant smells.
that according to British Naval records the term "Pommie" came about from the red "pom-pon" on the top of the hats of British sailors who were involved in the transfer of prisoners to the Colonies.[citation needed]
In 2006, an Auckland, New Zealand, Planet FM's English community radio program 'The Anglofiles' received feedback that many English people living in New Zealand considered the word Pom to be highly offensive[citation needed]. Rather than anything offensive in the word itself they were offended by its use as a term of abuse, especially in a racist manner[citation needed]. They felt it to be akin to racist terms such as 'wog', 'wop' and 'spic'. The New Zealand Human Rights Commission describes racial abuse as language or actions which, in the recipient's view, induce negative feelings towards his or her race[citation needed]. The inference is, therefore, that racial abuse cannot be adequately defined by the originator, or anyone else who is not negatively affected by it. It was on this basis that, in 2006, 'The Anglofiles' achieved a written undertaking from the major New Zealand television companies to avoid usage of the term Pom or Pommy in all their local content. This was subsequently overruled by the high court of New Zealand as the judgement was made that the term could not be construed as a reference to a distinct racial group, but rather to a country[citation needed

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scouser

Dave the Dog, click on the link for a potted history or Scouse / Scouser.
It doesn't mention that a traditional Liverpool meal of older times was 'Scouse' (a pan of Scouse) which is a cabbaged base dish with other veg in there (usually the day before's left overs with cabbage!)

As brel said, it is linked in with the dialect.
The Scouse accent is my favourite accent of all in the UK (after Manc, of course:thumb:) No warra mean like lar?

Jukebox Jury

Innit :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VScd7fLitaE two of the best :horny:

they're racists.

* munney = cash---
* bender = homosexual---
* class = marvelous---
* Crimbo = Christmas---
* shit = defective---
* Footy = Football---
* les/dyke = lesbian---
* gorra = got---
* butt = headbutt---
* bifter = cigarette---
* lecky = electric---
* sexy ho = Your mum---
* ozzy = hospital---
* asif = overtime---
* queer = homosexual---
* dick 'edd = stupid---
* Shite = see shit.
* smackhed = you---
* de sun = toilet paper
* Goff!! = Individual
* Anno Lad = I am aware
* Iz rite lad = I agree
* Boss - f***ing awsome

I enjoyed reading them, I like the 'speccy twat' one. I'm southern but whenever I say speccy twat I sound like a northerner. I don't think a southerner can say speccy twat or just twat without sounding northern. Twat must be a nothern word.

I enjoyed reading them, I like the 'speccy twat' one. I'm southern but whenever I say speccy twat I sound like a northerner. I don't think a southerner can say speccy twat or just twat without sounding northern. Twat must be a nothern word.

That's right, we in the norf say 'you twat' a lot, where as those in the sarf tend to say 'you cant':thumb:

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom