Man Made (Nile Marr) live @ Green Door Store, Brighton (24 Jan 2012)

As reported/upoaded on my blog BrightONOFF :
On the 24th January 2012 The Gaa Gaas, Man Made and Howler performed live at the Green Door Store in Brighton, UK.

Having already seen the great Gaa Gaas and Howler, and being a tremendously huge fan of The Smiths, I was eager to see Johnny Marr’s son perform (as the one man show, Man Made); any thoughts of nepotism were quickly discarded when he truly proved himself a great songwriter in his own right that night. A Jeff Buckley of sorts for a new generation.

Here is my record of that night of all seven songs performed by Man Made.
( 2:00) Track 01
( 5:10) Track 02 Plastic Key to Living
( 8:53) Track 03
(12:40) Track 04 Slowdance
(18:15) Track 05
(22:30) Track 06
(26:30) Track 07 Happiness (We’re All Invited)

Last edited by a moderator:
a tremendously huge fan of The Smiths...

This is why Nile's career will never take off. He's a nice kid and a good player in his own right - but no matter how good he is, he'll never be given a fair chance in the music industry because Johnny's shadow looms too large. The Smiths legacy might help his popularity initially, but it will cripple it in the long term. Remember Julian Lennon?

This is why Nile's career will never take off. He's a nice kid and a good player in his own right - but no matter how good he is, he'll never be given a fair chance in the music industry because Johnny's shadow looms too large. The Smiths legacy might help his popularity initially, but it will cripple it in the long term. Remember Julian Lennon?

Well, that's two totally different cases. Even Morrissey can't compare his fame to John Lennon's, because Lennon was a huge media celebrity in the '60s and '70s (not only the music press, but the press in general). The Smiths really only matter to the UK music press. The rest of the UK press pays attention only when Morrissey makes some 'racist' remark. On the other side of the Atlantic, the US press don't really care (read Rolling Stone lately or any US print media with ex-Smiths members' coverage?)

So whatever Julian Lennon did, they breathed down his neck constantly.
Same thing happened, briefly, to Elvis' daughter and the same thing will happen to Michael Jackson's kids.
See, the caliber of their fathers' fame is incomparable to the fame The Smiths achieved or the legacy they gained in the years after.

I think that Nile Marr is in the same category as Jeff Buckley or Albert Hammond Jr. (of The Strokes) who had fathers who were great (semi-famous) musicians, but went on to do equally great stuff (and keep their fame within the music press interest, but never go on beyond that, just like their fathers, which isn't a bad thing to me, as long as they make great music).
Anyhow, Nile Marr chose a pseudonym (Man Made) just to try it anonymously, but that obviously hasn't worked 'cause we're talking about it here.

The point is that, as a Smiths fan especially, who cares about popularity and all that?
If he makes great music, I'll buy it! If he doesn't, I won't.
I bought the CD after his great concert.
If someone buys it just 'cause his dad's Johnny Marr, then they ought to rethink what their music taste's all about.

Well, that's two totally different cases. Even Morrissey can't compare his fame to John Lennon's, because Lennon was a huge media celebrity in the '60s and '70s (not only the music press, but the press in general). The Smiths really only matter to the UK music press. The rest of the UK press pays attention only when Morrissey makes some 'racist' remark. On the other side of the Atlantic, the US press don't really care (read Rolling Stone lately or any US print media with ex-Smiths members' coverage?)

So whatever Julian Lennon did, they breathed down his neck constantly.
Same thing happened, briefly, to Elvis' daughter and the same thing will happen to Michael Jackson's kids.
See, the caliber of their fathers' fame is incomparable to the fame The Smiths achieved or the legacy they gained in the years after.

I think that Nile Marr is in the same category as Jeff Buckley or Albert Hammond Jr. (of The Strokes) who had fathers who were great (semi-famous) musicians, but went on to do equally great stuff (and keep their fame within the music press interest, but never go on beyond that, just like their fathers, which isn't a bad thing to me, as long as they make great music).
Anyhow, Nile Marr chose a pseudonym (Man Made) just to try it anonymously, but that obviously hasn't worked 'cause we're talking about it here.

The point is that, as a Smiths fan especially, who cares about popularity and all that?
If he makes great music, I'll buy it! If he doesn't, I won't.
I bought the CD after his great concert.
If someone buys it just 'cause his dad's Johnny Marr, then they ought to rethink what their music taste's all about.

I'm not saying that Marr's fame is comparable to Lennon, of course not. But it's the same "famous dad" syndrome - The Smiths are/were a huge presence in the UK "Indie" scene, and Nile can't really escape that legacy unless he only wants to "make it" abroad, particularly because he's looking to occupy the same indie market. It's particularly difficult because the Smiths seem to be more famous now than when they were actually around - barely a week goes by without a Smiths feature in one of the music papers. Julian Lennon - even with John's staggering fame to boost his publicity - had one notable single and then vanished without trace. I'm not saying Nile should hanker after immense popularity, but he needs some kind of audience if he wants music to be his career. The only reason we know about the existence of Man Made is because of his father, and it's the first thing the Press will want to talk about if they see him. Without that, he's just one among the many ten-a-penny underground indie acts in the North. Nothing I heard in that clip made Nile stand out - some nice strumming, but the songs weren't particularly memorable and he's not a great singer. He has no stage presence. "Doll & the Kicks" were another Brighton outfit that never made it and eventually disbanded, despite Morrissey's exhaustive efforts to promote them and some pretty great songs of their own. I bought their album a couple of years ago and it's still an iPod mainstay!

I'm not saying that Marr's fame is comparable to Lennon, of course not. But it's the same "famous dad" syndrome - The Smiths are/were a huge presence in the UK "Indie" scene, and Nile can't really escape that legacy unless he only wants to "make it" abroad, particularly because he's looking to occupy the same indie market. It's particularly difficult because the Smiths seem to be more famous now than when they were actually around - barely a week goes by without a Smiths feature in one of the music papers. Julian Lennon - even with John's staggering fame to boost his publicity - had one notable single and then vanished without trace. I'm not saying Nile should hanker after immense popularity, but he needs some kind of audience if he wants music to be his career. The only reason we know about the existence of Man Made is because of his father, and it's the first thing the Press will want to talk about if they see him. Without that, he's just one among the many ten-a-penny underground indie acts in the North. Nothing I heard in that clip made Nile stand out - some nice strumming, but the songs weren't particularly memorable and he's not a great singer. He has no stage presence. "Doll & the Kicks" were another Brighton outfit that never made it and eventually disbanded, despite Morrissey's exhaustive efforts to promote them and some pretty great songs of their own. I bought their album a couple of years ago and it's still an iPod mainstay!

I can't argue with your case; I also can't convince you to dig his music. See, if you dislike his music and stage presence so much, then you really can't be convinced that an exception to the rule can occur (that is the exception of making it or being an equally good musician, even though one has a 'celebrity' dad).
I honestly wouldn't post the video, if I thought he sucked (I've seen celeb's that I dug having kids that sucked either in acting or as musicians, but I don't endorse them). To me it was a welcoming surprise that he was a good performer! So, even if he doesn't make the big time (remember The Smiths never really did either, they're just a sacred cow that indie kids always adored) I'll check him out, 'cause I dug his music! After all, making the big time and humongous celebrity status is very, very anti-Smiths (they slagged off every mainstream act back in the day)!
:guitar:

Tags
johnny marr man made morrissey nile marr the smiths
Back
Top Bottom