"Maladjusted" is the most underrated Morrissey album

Recently I’ve rediscovered Roy’s Keen and think it’s unfairly dismissed. The part where he sings “don’t say you’ll hold it steady and then you let it go” is a magical moment for me.

Right on! I've always thought it was one of his best sounding tracks, and the band really shines on it.

I do quite like Alma Matters but it’s really a very spindly heir to How Soon is Now, isn’t it?

How can you say I go about things the wrong way?
It’s my life to wreck my own way…

Last edited:
Maladjusted is, along with Vauxhall, the quintessential Morrissey album. I will never, as long I draw breath, understand how you can love Morrissey and typical Morrissey music and not love Maladjusted. It’s even more personal and vulnerable than Vauxhall, but just as melancholic. It’s indie guitar music, but with some avant-garde elements added that makes it akin to Southpaw Grammar. It challenges you, yet soothes and comforts you. It’s a completely different entity to both Vauxhall and SG, but deeply connected to both, which makes it the perfect sequel/follow-up.

Maladjusted is music for those who try, but rarely succeed, yet can’t quite stomach what it takes to give up.

It isn’t a great album imo, but it definitely could have been. I think that is what Moz tried to do with the reissue. Though I think a classic Moz-album should have 10-12 tracks.

The original is let down by, after two brilliant opening tracks, AO and PJ on the first half.
Two of my least favourite Moz-songs of all time.

Side B is more even, but lacks the real classics.
So all in all 7,5/10 for me.

Really, had he added Lost and Edges or I Can Have Both it could have been a 9/10.

It isn’t a great album imo, but it definitely could have been. I think that is what Moz tried to do with the reissue. Though I think a classic Moz-album should have 10-12 tracks.

The original is let down by, after two brilliant opening tracks, AO and PJ on the first half.
Two of my least favourite Moz-songs of all time.

Side B is more even, but lacks the real classics.
So all in all 7,5/10 for me.

Really, had he added Lost and Edges or I Can Have Both it could have been a 9/10.

Definitely right about the B-sides. Morrissey (w/Smiths too) has a history of putting out shining B-sides.

It would have sounded completely out of place.

Agree. If it had to be placed on any album, I think it would fit better on Maladjusted. Though, I don’t mind it as it is, simply a great b-side.

Also, even though I usually complain about the mix of Maladjusted, for some of the songs it does fit the vibe, so, not total loss. I guess it’s just when I compare Lillywhite’s Vauxhall production to the two albums after, that I get critical, and to my ear, wonder what went wrong.

It would have sounded completely out of place.
It always sounds glorious after Dagenham Dave on the single, so why shouldn’t it on the album?

I have more problems with Ambitious Outsiders’ sound between Alma and Trouble. It really ruins the vibe of the album for me.

I heard the Maladjusted album for the first time back in 2005 and one of the things which pleasantly surprised me was that Alain took on a larger role, vocally, on the album than the ones that came before (and after). Not sure if Morrissey requested him to, or if he simply asked to take on a more prominent role.

I loved his "There's nothing wrong with you" vocal on the song Maladjusted, as well as his vocals on Wide to Receive. And I can't forget those "la la la la's" on Roy's Keen!

Back
Top Bottom