"Maladjusted" is the most underrated Morrissey album

I always think the title track is the solo equivalent of The Queen is Dead.

But then there’s Papa Jack which, I think, is one of the weakest song’s of Morrissey’s career.

Ammunition and He cried: nice, but unremarkable. Musically boring.
Outsiders: one of his worst ever songs.
Roy's keen: a b side at best.
Satan: nothing more than nice.
Heir Apparent, Lost, The edges and I can have both should have replaced the weaker songs.
The song Maladjusted is one of his best ever.
Wide to receive is a forgotten jewel.

The rest of the album is rather good.
Always thought the sound mix on “Ammunition”and “He Cried” were poor. There’s some decent guitar lines buried in there.

Yes, in my opinion actually more underrated than Southpaw Grammer.

It is a thoughtful, meandering, at times menacing, at times morose and yet others maudlin.

Unfairly buried in the machismo era of (almost) Britpop and cast aside in the favour of (ok, rather great) OK Computer I suppose. But comparisons are futile, as we all know, since M stands on his own.

Anyway, I am sure that even he would disagree with me here.
I would say High School is the most underrated. But yes Maladjusted does not get enough credit.

Maladjusted, for the most part, is what a Morrissey parody album would sound like.

Musically, the most 'phoned-in' album of his career, losing ground and relevance to Britpop and few bob lighter thanks to Mickey J.

It was the end of Act 1 of the solo career and off he popped to Ireland then the US to start again.

A good album but with some boring moments. Lost and I can have both, should be on the LP.
I even made a vinyl with my own chosen tracks with B sides to listen my favorites ones.
This album has the same illness than World Peace... Some Beautifuls lost songs.

I 'm surprised that nobody has spoken of Trouble loves me, the real gem of the area.

A good album but with some boring moments. Lost and I can have both, should be on the LP.
I even made a vinyl with my own chosen tracks with B sides to listen my favorites ones.
This album has the same illness than World Peace... Some Beautifuls lost songs.

I 'm surprised that nobody has spoken of Trouble loves me, the real gem of the area.
Having heard this album only after the grand comeback of the mid-2000s, "Trouble loves me" and "Wide to receive" were my favorites of it, and I didn't care that much for the other songs as I was busy basking in "Vauxhall"s glory.

The original album art is quite hauting. It has such a sad aura. Was he now a 'was'? It's the image of a man unsure of himself and his place, trying to connect with late 90s Brit culture, but unsuccessfully so. Part of it must've been that often awkward phase where one is not young anymore, yet not feeling like one of the grown-ups. The late thirties can be tough. Thankfully, he emerged as a beautiful adult butterfly ... knive.

RS-ART-PIC-2009-08-094-003_BINARY_188377.jpg

Maladjusted --- not my favorite but not my least favorite of his releases either. However, out of all the Morrissey albums produced by Lillywhite, this one was the leanest on sound quality, and most of it seems to really lack emotion (compared to V&I, Boxers/Sunny singles, and Southpaw G.). Underrated? Maybe - certainly not worthy of an A, but definitely a B (as most of his albums would be at or close to as well).

It's got some of my favorite Morrissey moments on it though. He Cried is terrific! I think that's one of his most endearing tracks. Roy's Keen, even though some people call it silly (which some of it is), features some of the best guitar playing and backing vocals of any of his songs (and it's just catchy in general). Trouble Loves Me and the title track (great lyrics there) are also songs I don't skip. Wide to Receive stays on too, even though that one is very slow. I far prefer Ambitious Outsiders to Sorrow Will Come (the latter being one of his worst ever released tracks), even though they both could be chopped off the record and I'd be alright with it. Rejected My Soul is a bit sillier than Roy's Keen in my opinion, and Alma Matters really doesn't do it for me, it's too simple and just plods along (even though the lyrics are saying much more than on Rejected My Soul). Alma Matters IS similar sounding to Ammunition, but the former is the weaker track to me. Papa Jack was never that bad, it just needed more in it (I would've kept Papa Jack on the reissue and axed Sorrow Will Come). Additionally, many of the B-sides from Maladjusted are strong enough tracks that could have replaced some of the lesser quality songs that made it to the LP.

So, that album is about 50/50 for me. The good tracks though outweigh the clunkers, and a few of Maladjusted's tracks (and a couple B-sides) always end up on my 'Top 50 Morrissey Songs' list. It just has a really bland sound overall, and it's far from his best LP, but like I've found with every Morrissey album - there are a few excellent tracks which stand amongst his overall best.

Last edited:
Maladjusted, loved by many.

‘a Morrissey parody album’ ?
‘Musically, the most 'phoned-in' album’ ?
:rolleyes: sigh.

Nonsense. In actuality, it’s quite an adventurous turn for Morrissey. And musically, from the band, those interesting arrangements/contributions. For example, AOutsiders and Sorrow are very different to anything M’s done before.

It’s not a perfect album. For me, the production is most problematic and makes me imagine what could have been.

From M’s perspective, it seemed Lillywhite didn’t really want to work with M a third time. Also, Lillywhite was, or just did go through a divorce with Kristy. I’m speculating here that this may have colored things negatively in general, Lillywhite’s relationship with M and the sound of the record.

I think ROTT is the underrated unloved runt of the litter, undeservedly.

Last edited:
Having heard this album only after the grand comeback of the mid-2000s, "Trouble loves me" and "Wide to receive" were my favorites of it, and I didn't care that much for the other songs as I was busy basking in "Vauxhall"s glory.

The original album art is quite hauting. It has such a sad aura. Was he now a 'was'? It's the image of a man unsure of himself and his place, trying to connect with late 90s Brit culture, but unsuccessfully so. Part of it must've been that often awkward phase where one is not young anymore, yet not feeling like one of the grown-ups. The late thirties can be tough. Thankfully, he emerged as a beautiful adult butterfly ... knive.

RS-ART-PIC-2009-08-094-003_BINARY_188377.jpg
Interesting observations. Also, this started the first of his wilderness years without a record contract. I wonder if he was at all aware then that it might go that way?

On the album itself... I've always been lukewarm... a few good songs but not a great full album. I'm motivated to relisten based on all the positive comments. It might be one of those albums that play better for me now than it did at the time. I agree with the comment that it would have made a better follow-up to Vauxhall than SG.

Interesting observations. Also, this started the first of his wilderness years without a record contract. I wonder if he was at all aware then that it might go that way?

On the album itself... I've always been lukewarm... a few good songs but not a great full album. I'm motivated to relisten based on all the positive comments. It might be one of those albums that play better for me now than it did at the time. I agree with the comment that it would have made a better follow-up to Vauxhall than SG.

I think the best follow-up to Vauxhall was already in place - the Boxers and Sunny singles. Yes, they're not an entire full length LP - 2 great singles and their excellent B-sides - but those songs really went with the Vauxhall sound (same special lineup of musicians as V&I LP). Those singles are truly masterpieces, landmarks in his career. That whole 2 year period was.

No offense to you at all, but I don't understand why anyone would think that Maladjusted sounds at all like Vauxhall. Southpaw chronologically followed Vauxhall (as far as LPs go), but Southpaw was a musical departure from Vauxhall (which itself was a musical departure for Morrissey in general, and is fairly incomparable to his other LPs). I think of Southpaw like one might think of The Fragile by NIN - a musical departure that most couldn't understand at first, but eventually is known as that artist's great 'undiscovered' album.

Southpaw Grammar has more emotion, vitality, and is just more interesting to listen to than Maladjusted. But, I still like Maladjusted- was just listening to it last week.

Last edited:
I also have some love for the original cover, because it looks so out of place in an endearing way and suits the whole vibe of the album. I mean Moz looks like a 90ies popsinger who had just emerged on the scene with this normal sweater/jeans look and normal hair. Not all styled a like nowadays or on the reissue. It has something vulnerable to it and I really like that. It's sad that he changed it later but I also can understand why. But I absolutely prefer the original one

I think the best follow-up to Vauxhall was already in place - the Boxers and Sunny singles. Yes, they're not an entire full length LP - 2 great singles and their excellent B-sides - but those songs really went with the Vauxhall sound (same special lineup of musicians as V&I LP). Those singles are truly masterpieces, landmarks in his career. That whole 2 year period was.

No offense to you at all, but I don't understand why anyone would think that Maladjusted sounds at all like Vauxhall. Southpaw chronologically followed Vauxhall (as far as LPs go), but Southpaw was a musical departure from Vauxhall (which itself was a musical departure for Morrissey in general, and is fairly incomparable to his other LPs). I think of Southpaw like one might think of The Fragile by NIN - a musical departure that most couldn't understand at first, but eventually is known as that artist's great 'undiscovered' album.

Southpaw Grammar has more emotion, vitality, and is just more interesting to listen to than Maladjusted. But, I still like Maladjusted- was just listening to it last week.

I never thought of Boxers and Sunny singles as follow-ups... in terms of quality, they sure were. No offense taken. I didn't mean that Maladjusted sounded like Vauxhall (it doesn't come close)... just compared to Southpaw it sounded more like what we as fans would have expected the follow-up to be. While I don't hate Southpaw... I think it would have been stronger as a 4-5 song EP instead of a proper album.

I also have some love for the original cover, because it looks so out of place in an endearing way and suits the whole vibe of the album. I mean Moz looks like a 90ies popsinger who had just emerged on the scene with this normal sweater/jeans look and normal hair. Not all styled a like nowadays or on the reissue. It has something vulnerable to it and I really like that. It's sad that he changed it later but I also can understand why. But I absolutely prefer the original one

The facial stubble, too. It gives the impression that he feels defeated.

I never thought of Boxers and Sunny singles as follow-ups... in terms of quality, they sure were. No offense taken. I didn't mean that Maladjusted sounded like Vauxhall (it doesn't come close)... just compared to Southpaw it sounded more like what we as fans would have expected the follow-up to be. While I don't hate Southpaw... I think it would have been stronger as a 4-5 song EP instead of a proper album.

Awesome!

I had never thought about a Southpaw EP before, and it's a cool idea..probably couldn't be done though, just because of length. You would have to include both Teachers and Southpaw (both album-defining songs), so unless the EP contained only two tracks, it would probably be too long for an EP. :)

On the other hand, think about how great a Boxers/Sunny EP would've been --- Boxers, Have-A-Go, Whatever Happens..., Sunny, Black Eyed Susan, Swallow.
Seriously, the quality of Morrissey's music and the lineup of that specific band was amazing (he's also had a few other other great band lineups too). It had such a sound that was just simply unique to Morrissey. It sounded very special.

Last edited:
The songs in this album are ART. Maladjusted, Trouble Loves Me, Alma Matters, Satan Rejected My Soul. Anyway, a great album and a great way to be an early 2000's Morrissey.

He Cried. I love it.

‘Simple words
But words which had never been heard
By the soul
Stoned to death
But still living

And so he froze where he stood
And he looked to the ground
And he cried
He cried

Ride our minds
If you must
But there's always a line you don't cross
Time is short
Don't be cruel
Oh, you don't know the power
In what you're saying

Oh, oh, oh
And so he froze where he stood
And he cried
He cried

People where
I come from
They survive without feelings or blood
I never could
Was stoned to death
But I'm still living

So he froze where he stood
And he cried
He cried
So he froze
And he looked, and he looked
To the ground
And he cried
He cried’

beautiful.

Hell, it’s worth having the album just for the song Maladjusted alone.

That's definitely my favorite on the album, He Cried. Especially when he gives so much emotion near the end of the song.

Amazing backing vocals from Alain as well, that pretty much goes without saying. I can only imagine what quality vocals we're going to be listening to with Morrissey, Alain, and Gustavo singing on the new(est) album.

Also, I've always been a huge fan of the musical experimentation on the title track (and the lyrics). Roy's Keen utilizes some of the same guitar 'noise' and interplay, though the rest of the LP is pretty tame as far as that goes.

Back
Top Bottom