"Maladjusted" is the most underrated Morrissey album

I was reading this thread and as I don't own a copy of Maladjusted I went to to Discogs to see if I can buy me a treat - and I gasped at the prices for vinyl...

Was the re-issue on CD only?
That is correct.

And the 1997 original release was at a time when vinyl was quite out of fashion, so limited copies were made available, I'd imagine.
Right. Would love a vinyl re-issue.

I was reading this thread and as I don't own a copy of Maladjusted I went to to Discogs to see if I can buy me a treat - and I gasped at the prices for vinyl...

Was the re-issue on CD only?
Not sure but you are bound to love most songs on there.

And there is no law of averages here
If you feel down
Then you're bound to stay down..

My only mistake is I'm hoping
One of my favourites non-album track and wonderfully bitter lyrics :hearteyes:

Not sure but you are bound to love most songs on there.
I ordered a CD from Amoeba for $6.99 (incl. shipping) - it's the original CD and it has that hole over the barcode but I am ok with that - will look for the reissue also...

I have a soft spot for Now I Am a Was from those days. If that and Lost had replaced Papa Jack and He Cried it would have been a much better album.

Sorrow Will Come in the End is best forgotten.

Its a great shout but I personally think Low in high school is the most underrated.

It is my second favourite after Quarry. I find it easy to sing along too and the subject matter of the songs are really interesting.
I agree. Low In High School is definitely the most underrated. For some reason it seems to be dismissed by a good number of people but to me it's one of his best records in 20 years. I Bury The Living is just incredible. Home Is A Question Mark is lovely. My Love I'd Do Anything For You is a strong rocking opener. Israel has a gorgeous melody. To me it's a great album.

He Cried. I love it.

‘Simple words
But words which had never been heard
By the soul
Stoned to death
But still living

And so he froze where he stood
And he looked to the ground
And he cried
He cried

Ride our minds
If you must
But there's always a line you don't cross
Time is short
Don't be cruel
Oh, you don't know the power
In what you're saying

Oh, oh, oh
And so he froze where he stood
And he cried
He cried

People where
I come from
They survive without feelings or blood
I never could
Was stoned to death
But I'm still living

So he froze where he stood
And he cried
He cried
So he froze
And he looked, and he looked
To the ground
And he cried
He cried’

beautiful.

Hell, it’s worth having the album just for the song Maladjusted alone.
I love y.. it too!

Yes, in my opinion actually more underrated than Southpaw Grammer.

It is a thoughtful, meandering, at times menacing, at times morose and yet others maudlin.

Unfairly buried in the machismo era of (almost) Britpop and cast aside in the favour of (ok, rather great) OK Computer I suppose. But comparisons are futile, as we all know, since M stands on his own.

Anyway, I am sure that even he would disagree with me here.
well, lots of us agree with you even Boy George

I’d rather take “Roy’s Keen” than “Kiss Me a Lot” or “Fatty” any day of the week.
Yep me too
Roy fits with the D Dave, Fatty, We hate it when, Boy Racer type of songs. I like it .
Maladjusted is also his best opening track since the queen is dead, for me -it sweats London from each pour, so much London it makes me sour
I do not think ANY of his post-2000 lps are better than Maladjusted. Judging quickly by the showcase songs , I'm not sure the new lp will change anything.
At times he's too angry, too bitter these days.

I pretty much like all the songs on the album. Ammunition is my favourite Moz track.

They should’ve axed that “Rare Tracks” release back in the day and just reissued the album a year of two later with a bonus disc featuring all the b-sides like the deluxe edition of YATQ. That way we wouldn’t lose Papa Jack or Roy’s Keen and get all the additional stuff, including Sorrow Will Come In The End.

I pretty much like all the songs on the album. Ammunition is my favourite Moz track.

They should’ve axed that “Rare Tracks” release back in the day and just reissued the album a year of two later with a bonus disc featuring all the b-sides like the deluxe edition of YATQ. That way we wouldn’t lose Papa Jack or Roy’s Keen and get all the additional stuff, including Sorrow Will Come In The End.
I try to not get easily taken in by the nostalgia of a song, though we all do. For me Maladjusted is one of his best.
I think it was the last of his English sounding LP's and from that point on, he was transatlantic, which is fine.
There were some not great songs on Maladjusted but the title track, Wide to Receive and He cried really are quite special songs and then Alama is pop tastic . Even his revenge song on the end was a nice bit of Tales of the unexpected

Maladjusted is such a wonderful album...well they all are, really.

True, some of the lyrics are a bit too bitter for my taste, but 8-10 tracks of the original album and b-sides combined could have made it into a Vauxhall pt 2.

Back
Top Bottom