"Maladjusted" is the most underrated Morrissey album

AtImber2022

Seasick, Yet Still Docked
Yes, in my opinion actually more underrated than Southpaw Grammer.

It is a thoughtful, meandering, at times menacing, at times morose and yet others maudlin.

Unfairly buried in the machismo era of (almost) Britpop and cast aside in the favour of (ok, rather great) OK Computer I suppose. But comparisons are futile, as we all know, since M stands on his own.

Anyway, I am sure that even he would disagree with me here.

THANK YOU. Amen. Yes! Maladjusted IS most definitely the most underrated Morrissey album of all time. It is the perfect sequel to Vauxhall, with a bit of Southpaw edge to it. It is warm, reflective, deeply melancholic and a very personal record. It is Morrissey at his most vulnerable. Just listen to stuff like TLM, He Cried, Ammunition and so on.
Musically, it’s classic Moz. It’s indie guitar and indie melodies. Might not sound very interesting on paper, but it truly does the job. And, like I said, with a bit of Southpaw edge thrown in to it (thinking mainly of the avant-garde nature of songs like the title track, Ambitious Outsiders, Sorrow will come).

In my opinion, it is easily his second greatest ever album.

Its's a great album but it could have been even better. His quality control at that time was all over the place and confidence was at a low ebb.

He had the songs at his disposal to make it a perfect album but buried some of them on B Sides etc.'This Is Not Your Country' , 'I Can Have Both' for exampole.
'Lost' for example should 100% have been on there. Probably at the expense of 'Satan' which was a throwaway 7" at best.
Having said that I love the album and I think the expanded edition is fabulous.

'Satan' was okay; I suppose 'Roy' was the true nadir for some; but let's face it, M has always had some of those 'silly songs' right from the early days of the Smiths. I don't begrudge him for it. We all need some comic relief.

'Satan' was okay; I suppose 'Roy' was the true nadir for some; but let's face it, M has always had some of those 'silly songs' right from the early days of the Smiths. I don't begrudge him for it. We all need some comic relief.
I’d rather take “Roy’s Keen” than “Kiss Me a Lot” or “Fatty” any day of the week.

I've always held the opinion that the first four songs are as strong as anything he's ever done. But after that the album goes totally south: the rest is either pleasant in an unremarkable way or just plain bad. You could easily replace the last six (or seven if you include Sorrow...) songs with the b-sides.

Ammunition and He cried: nice, but unremarkable. Musically boring.
Outsiders: one of his worst ever songs.
Roy's keen: a b side at best.
Satan: nothing more than nice.
Heir Apparent, Lost, The edges and I can have both should have replaced the weaker songs.
The song Maladjusted is one of his best ever.
Wide to receive is a forgotten jewel.

The rest of the album is rather good.

Last edited:
Ambitious Outsiders is a masterpiece to my ears!

But don't underestimate us when you are giving!
Giving
Giving
& We're receiving
No
No
We're taking!

Last edited:
Ambitious Outsiders is a masterpiece to my ears!

But don't underestimate us when you are giving!
Giving
Giving
& We're receiving
No
No
We're taking!
Mine as well. Impossible to fathom why so many people dislike it, other than it being quite odd, different and very far from a Morrissey pop song.

I have a soft spot for Now I Am a Was from those days. If that and Lost had replaced Papa Jack and He Cried it would have been a much better album.

Sorrow Will Come in the End is best forgotten.

I have a soft spot for Now I Am a Was from those days. If that and Lost had replaced Papa Jack and He Cried it would have been a much better album.

Sorrow Will Come in the End is best forgotten.
Lost is one of the best songs he's ever done. It should have been a single.

I also share your fondness for Now I Am a Was.

Mine as well. Impossible to fathom why so many people dislike it, other than it being quite odd, different and very far from a Morrissey pop song.
I love it. Like many other Morrissey songs he inhabits those archetypes & characters so well. A song in cinemascope.

Maladjusted has a certain musical tone that sets it apart from other Morrissey albums. I personally love it.

I agree that the resissue was a better attempt at resequening the songs of that era.

My favorite B-Side was "I Can Have Both" and think it should have made the original album, in addition to "Lost".

I see some mixed feeling about "Satan....." I think that is a great song! Glad he brought it back into the concert rotation in recent years.

Its a great shout but I personally think Low in high school is the most underrated.

It is my second favourite after Quarry. I find it easy to sing along too and the subject matter of the songs are really interesting.

He Cried. I love it.

‘Simple words
But words which had never been heard
By the soul
Stoned to death
But still living

And so he froze where he stood
And he looked to the ground
And he cried
He cried

Ride our minds
If you must
But there's always a line you don't cross
Time is short
Don't be cruel
Oh, you don't know the power
In what you're saying

Oh, oh, oh
And he cried
He cried

People where
I come from
They survive without feelings or blood
I never could
Was stoned to death
But I'm still living

So he froze where he stood
And he cried
He cried
So he froze
And he looked, and he looked
To the ground
And he cried
He cried’

beautiful.

Hell, it’s worth having the album just for the song Maladjusted alone.

He Cried. I love it.

‘Simple words
But words which had never been heard
By the soul
Stoned to death
But still living

And he cried
He cried

Ride our minds
If you must
But there's always a line you don't cross
Time is short
Don't be cruel
Oh, you don't know the power
In what you're saying

Oh, oh, oh
And he cried
He cried

People where
I come from
They survive without feelings or blood
I never could
Was stoned to death
But I'm still living

So he froze where he stood
And he cried
He cried
So he froze
And he looked, and he looked
To the ground
And he cried
He cried’

beautiful.

Hell, it’s worth having the album just for the song Maladjusted alone.
Bless you. How is it that so many people deride this gorgeous song?

I was reading this thread and as I don't own a copy of Maladjusted I went to to Discogs to see if I can buy me a treat - and I gasped at the prices for vinyl...

Was the re-issue on CD only?

Back
Top Bottom