Maladjusted Appreciation Thread

Maladjusted the song has been in heavy rotation in my head for the past two months...where's it frequently finds itself...yes i also love maladjusted the album. Obviously Trouble Loves Me and Maladjusted are my two favorites.

I think i will say i like it much more than "Southpaw Grammer"

Mm... never understood this Maladjusted issue.
To me it's Morrissey at the top.
Fantastic melodies and essential but good production.
Great lirycs too...
The only wrong thing was the cover.

Or it was the other way around?

I've never understood why everyone dislikes Maladjusted. Its #3 for me behind ROTT and VAI. Excellent songwriting and Morrisseys voice is at its best. I love the sort of pissed off, and vengeful undertones of his lyrics and voice aimed at those who pissed him off in court. I could do without Satan ... as the beat makes me want to get up and do that awful white mans danc ewith the skipping and the swinging arms. The same one you would do during I Dont Mind if You Forget Me.

++++++ said:
Vastly underrated album, imo. I think it'd be a good one for Morrissey newcomers, much in the same way You Are The Quary is (well, it was for me anyway).

To a Smiths fan but Morrissey newcomer, I have given the advice to listen just to "Maladjusted", "You Are the Quarry" e "Viva Hate"...

sorry, but i have to agree with nikita on that, trouble loves me , yes, wide to... yes, but thats it for me ! XXX

just get the f*** out of the album papa jack, and it would have been a wonderful one...

Oh trouble loves me, Oh maladjusted, Oh Sorrow!

I love maladjusted it's a shame he didn't release it with a nicer cover and without bleeding palm trees all over the disk and is it just me or did morrissey go back to the "roots" of the smiths...with the same references to the books he referenced in the smiths era? really now have i just made that up?...i'm deadly sure i havent.

P.S i can't get into southpaw..its piss poor...hahaha see what i did there?
it's alright actually.

*EDIT*
Maladjusted-
"reference to Fulham and "working girls", this song seems to be inspired from the film "The L-Shaped Room", the same film from which Morrissey took the opening sample of The Queen Is Dead"

That's all i can find at the minute hmmm...:(

Last edited:
Pervomartovtsi said:
just get the f*** out of the album papa jack, and it would have been a wonderful one...

Oh trouble loves me, Oh maladjusted, Oh Sorrow!

I agree with you 110%!! I would only ad Oh Satan...

Yes I have always had good thoughts about Maladjusted! The only bad songs on there are "Satan" and I'm not that crazy about "Ambitious Outsiders". The B sides are amazing and I think they are a mini album themselves. How "I can have both" didn't make it onto the album in place of "Satan" I'll never know???!!! That is one of my all time favourite Moz songs and the most Smiths like he has written since their demise. Am I wrong?

Sign me up, i LOVE maladjusted. i dont rate ambitious outsiders much but the rest + b-sides is pure moz gold.

imo.

This album will always hold a special place in my heart, as it was the first solo Moz disc I ever encountered. Fell in love with it instantly, save of course for "Papa Jack". Never heard any b-sides except "Lost," but someday...

thewarroom said:
This album will always hold a special place in my heart, as it was the first solo Moz disc I ever encountered. Fell in love with it instantly, save of course for "Papa Jack". Never heard any b-sides except "Lost," but someday...

you mean you've never heard the Alma matters b sides? hurry up and get crackin'!

Rocco Sifredi said:
Mm... never understood this Maladjusted issue.
To me it's Morrissey at the top.
Fantastic melodies and essential but good production.
Great lirycs too...
The only wrong thing was the cover.

Or it was the other way around?

I think you called it right Rocco and I agree, which I'm sure you're pleased to read.

And yes, Morrissey himself has made public his regret over the cover of this previously so I'm sure he agrees with you too.

Maladjusted to me showcased Morrissey at the end of an era. He seemed completely lost musically, lyrically and creatively with the artwork.

After Southpaw, I remember a lot of fans waiting for Vauxhall part two and they didn't get it.

On first listen, I heard Maladjusted and thought 'this is it, here comes the great album. That joy was taken ill during track two, was intensive care by track Seven and died On the final song. So much wrong with that album but 'uninspired' covers the majority of it.

Moz trying to be current with Wide To Receive did him no favours either, neither did the production. As with YATQ and ROTT there were a couple of gems to be found amongst startling mediocrity and the game was up. The seven year hiatus which follwed was not a coincidence.

Maladjusted rightly earns it's place in the great songs of the Moz cannon for me. After that well, Lost perhaps?

gotta admit that Trouble Loves Me is one of the best solo songs that never became a single

It anchors this entire record

My two pence worth, for what it's worth is that Maladjusted is a mix of the best and worst of Moz.

The opening track is still my favourite opening song of any Moz album ("well I was 16, were could I go?")... Trouble loves me is a classic, yet the lows of Papa Jack and Alama Matters (could just be a case of over playing the single prior to the album release?) does stop this being the "perfect" album.

Agree with all that the inclusion of the b-sides Lost, Edges etc would have made the complete album, but hell I've got them all on my Ipod and can create the perfect album any how.

Get dusting down the old music sheets, fire Boz up and let rip some of these old albums at the V Festival....

I saw this thread and just had to add my view....I love Maladjusted, a fantastic album, I really liked it when it first came out, and as time passes I find myself loving it even more. I love the title track and pretty much every song on it, if I had to choose a least favourite song on the albim it would be 'Roys Keen'. Considering Moz's displeasure with it and the general bad press it gets, Mr Morrissey pulled out arguably some of the best B sides Ive ever heard. Some of those tracks should have been singles, 'Edges & Lost'.

I really like Maladjusted. I think all the songs together make a nice fit. I love the opening track alot. I love the pulsating feel.

Even tracks that earlier didnt quite move me, I have grown to like and appreciate. I think it is one of these albums that must be listened to in its entirety for better effect.

This and Southpaw confound me as to why they get ripped. I think Southpaw doesnt get proper due particularly in the US because it is an English album and many of the references just go right past the critics.

I love them both.

Back
Top Bottom