Make anonymous users identifiable please

A

Anonymous

Should be easy to do. Whenever an anon posts, append using a random word generator. Link that to the hash. We/they are now identifiable anons.

David T should have done this a long time ago.

This is a FAN forum and there should be protocols.

If people want to troll, they should go to twitter or reddit.

It's absurd that the siteowners have allowed this go on for decades.

I think you will find the notion of 'you should just...' is limited by the forum software itself and also the fact that how you want things to be has no relation to how things are actually run. Have a Google of xenforo and see what it is and isn't capable of. There are no Internet rules for how a Morrissey forum should be run or what structure the forum should take to keep some individuals happy.
Anons can give themselves unique names up to a point if they wish (ie they can be anon and still have a point of reference via a name they choose).
The contributions made by anons here, historically, are completely comparable and have as much worth (if not more) as people who've bothered to register. Having a screen name here just allows people to target you with greater accuracy and some don't ever want that.
A platform that allows anyone to say what they like is quite unique in some respects and I don't completely agree with some of the levels people try to take things, but it is what it is. If someone wants to host/pay for a site and set concrete rules of interaction - that's always an option.
That said, I respect the huge efforts that goes in to maintaining this site - warts and all. The sheer time the site owner has put in to archiving things is staggering.
It will never, ever please everyone as everyone's view of 'trolling' and where to draw the line is different - concensus on just this issue is near impossible especially when trying to allow a high degree of freedom.
There are Facebook groups/websites where you get a more highly 'policed' forum - why do people come here for 20 years in some cases if they can get a better/less trolling experience elsewhere?
The best way to deal with issues here is use ignore or not respond (the not responding is something many struggle with).
Take what you need from the forums and do not worry about some overall view of how forums should or shouldn't be run.
Nothing's going to change - the only thing you can do is change how you react to what frustrates you. The information, news and articles will still appear in amongst the challenging personalities and toxic posts.
Just my couple of cents.
Regards,
FWD.

The thing that CAN change and SHOULD change is how to migrate the few hundred ( you know its true David T) regular NORMAL users on this forum to a forum that is managed by Morrissey's management. It's not a hard lift. AT ALL.

David has to take some responsibility. For you FWD, to simply say, if you don't like the anons, don't look at them is just stupid.

If the artist decides to take the reins to reclaim the narrative and control the messaging, the reins will be taken.

Thats his decision. Not yours.

I'm sure if such a day were to arrive, Morrissey would allow you to keep posting your mp3s (for piracy) and links to ebay where some shady grifter lures an unsuspecting Japanese girl to bid on USED Morrissey tickets stubs from naughts. Or, how about a scrap of a lame shirt from the 90s? How much is that worth these days?

poli, you be respectful to fwd, he's a GOOD moderator!! okay, hon? a GOOD moderator!!

@FWD makes some good points regarding contributions by Anons, but I would argue that if the ONLY way to participate was as a registered user those *valuable* Anons would do it and we would lose nothing of value. Having said that I believe there is a way to ignore all unregistered users... but this seems excessive. Whereas simply requiring registration would allow dealing with abuse & harassment at an individual level.

@FWD makes some good points regarding contributions by Anons, but I would argue that if the ONLY way to participate was as a registered user those *valuable* Anons would do it and we would lose nothing of value. Having said that I believe there is a way to ignore all unregistered users... but this seems excessive. Whereas simply requiring registration would allow dealing with abuse & harassment at an individual level.

Not true, SuedeMoz. I'm banned atm, yet I've posted a lot of threads lately as an anon. Ten of which are still on the first page of General. Someone can confirm this.

This thread is also mine.

Not true, SuedeMoz. I'm banned atm, yet I've posted a lot of threads lately as an anon. Ten of which are still on the first page of General. Someone can confirm this.

Well, clearly "banned" is not really banned then but... what is stopping you from creating a new user account? Using the same IP or email address?

Well, clearly "banned" is not really banned then but... what is stopping you from creating a new user account? Using the same IP or email address?

Banned is banned. Users that you may've conversed with, no longer know who you are. If I was to create another account, I'm pretty sure it'd get banned.

Banned is banned. Users that you may've conversed with, no longer know who you are. If I was to create another account, I'm pretty sure it'd get banned.

I get your point but the fact you're still able to create threads and participate in the forum is definitely not banned in the strictest sense. Nothing against you, I guess if the admins really wanted the bans strictly enforced they would move to a registered users only system.

Having a screen name here just allows people to target you with greater accuracy and some don't ever want that.

Truer words have never been written.

The best way to deal with issues here is use ignore or not respond (the not responding is something many struggle with).

Done and done.

Nothing's going to change - the only thing you can do is change how you react to what frustrates you. The information, news and articles will still appear in amongst the challenging personalities and toxic posts.
Just my couple of cents.
Regards,
FWD.

The years have proven this. It is an imperfect world and this site fits perfectly within it.

Back
Top Bottom