Major Minor Records

The Seeker of Good Songs

Does anyone know how long this record label has been inactive?
What is special about it that it would be revived for Morrissey?
Is there some hidden history to it; was some 60's girl band on it that Morrissey particularly liked?

When you're near
there's such an air
of spring about it,
I can hear a lark somewhere
begin to sing about it,
there's no love song finer,
but how strange the change
from major to minor...

Thank you, Cole Porter. But what's... the rest of the story?

In 19blahblah, a certain band covered this song on their hit album. That band? Simply Red. From Manchester.

In other words... no connection.

Is there some hidden history to it; was some 60's girl band on it that Morrissey particularly liked?

FTFA:

Major Minor Records was started by Radio Caroline manager Phil Solomon. Its truly eclectic roster of artists and singles releases makes it a perfect home for Morrissey. These include such esteemed and high-watermark pop classics as:

David McWilliams - Days Of Pearly Spencer
Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg - Je t'aime... moi non plus
Them - Gloria
Tommy James and The Shondells - I Think We're Alone Now & Mony Mony
Taste - Blister On The Moon
July - My Clown
Frazer Hines - Who's Dr. Who?
Malcolm Roberts - May I Have The Next Dream With You
Isley Brothers - It's Your Thing
Karen Young – Nobody's Child
The Dubliners - Seven Drunken Nights f*** YEAH!

This will be the first release on the label since 1970.
a

The only thing special about this label as far as Morrissey is concerned would be, "Je t'aime... moi non plus" , at a guess.

The only thing special about this label as far as Morrissey is concerned would be, "Je t'aime... moi non plus" , at a guess.

morrissey must be a fan of all the ones listed on true-to-you

Morrissey has a history of reviving old UK record labels.
In 1988 he revived HMV when on EMI.
In 1995 he revived RCA Victor when on BMG.
In 2004 he revived Attack when on Sanctuary.
In 2008 he revived Decca when on Universal.
In 2010 he revived Major Minor when (maybe??) back on EMI?

Speaking of the Attack label...wasn't Morrissey supposed to sign other artists to that label? Did he?

I think he also revived Parlophone, which stopped issuing new releases in 1967 when its star act, an obscure Liverpool quartet, moved to their own label.

The bigger point underscoring all this is that Morrisey seems extremely superstitious, believing that associating himself with past icons will somehow improve his fortunes. It doesn't seem to be working.

it was a short lived record label in the 60's... he did the same thing with attack records... i'd be surprised if he sticks with this label for more than one album.

I think he also revived Parlophone, which stopped issuing new releases in 1967 when its star act, an obscure Liverpool quartet, moved to their own label.

I don't think he revived Parlophone - it's still a big EMI imprint and has been for years before Morrissey joined (I think Radiohead and Coldplay may even be on it?).

I don't think he revived Parlophone - it's still a big EMI imprint and has been for years before Morrissey joined (I think Radiohead and Coldplay may even be on it?).

Pet Shop Boys have been with Parlophone since early Eighties, when they began it all:cool:
Cheers Moz

So, as Major Minor is part of EMI, does this mean Morrissey is back with them?

I mean, it does makes me wonder why he isn't just reissuing this on His Master's Voice a la the original. Could it be Morrissey is going to sign with EMI and as part of the deal is reactivating this label for future solo releases...

So, as Major Minor is part of EMI, does this mean Morrissey is back with them?

I mean, it does makes me wonder why he isn't just reissuing this on His Master's Voice a la the original. Could it be Morrissey is going to sign with EMI and as part of the deal is reactivating this label for future solo releases...

Thats what logic would dictate

Sometimes I think Moz has some kind of "record label collection" thing going on, where he has to release at least one record on all the labels that released the idols of his youth.

Morrissey is like a book fetishist who treasures those volumes from lost little imprints, or a classic car fanatic who drives around in an early model with big fins or a running board, or maybe a film director who still shoots in black and white.

He's a hard-core indie-pop nostalgist who's in a position to do something about it.

Total geek. :thumb:

Morrissey is like a book fetishist who treasures those volumes from lost little imprints, or a classic car fanatic who drives around in an early model with big fins or a running board, or maybe a film director who still shoots in black and white.

He's a hard-core indie-pop nostalgist who's in a position to do something about it.

Total geek. :thumb:

It's not a total geek thing to do!
I collect the old Penguin books editions or did, it's just about a liking a certain feel or look of something, among other things.
Moz and the Smiths always had an air of Morrissey turning the world into his teenage bedroom.
That is what his Meltdown gigs were all about the people that changed him, the people he changed and the magic in between

Maybe it is a geek thing to do, oh dear.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom