MAGNET Magazine picks the five most overrated and underrated Smiths songs

Pretty good list. I don't agree with half of it but of course that's the point of these articles.

I'll just mention that I hate that "How Soon Is Now?" is picked on because it's the most popular and most easily-recognized Smiths track. That isn't Morrissey and Marr's fault. The song is as brilliant and unforgettable as the hypemongers say it is. What it suffers from is overexposure, which is different than being overrated.

Ehh, I like them all. I'm not sure if a band like The Smiths, with such a small yet strong catalog, could really have overrated and underrated songs. Personally at least, I listen to and love them all (save for a handful) equally.

But I agree with Worm that HSIN shouldn't be picked just because it's the most popular.... it should pe picked because it's repetitive and bad. :X

Who the hell thinks Stil ill si under-rated?

Over-rated
Reel aourn the fountian-'cause it's musically plagiariesd from a James Taylor song
Panic-For plagiarim again-T-Rex Metal guru
Pretty girls make graves-same a patty smith song
Shopliffters-same, acc. to wiki it resembles T-REx'S CHILDREN of the revoloution. 'cant really hear it myslef
Stop me-this time Kim Wildes You keep me haingiing on is reinvented

UNDER-RATED
yOU've got everthing now-i don't hink thii don't ts is actually under-rated, it's just a bit in the shadows
Barbism beigns at home-i don't hink thii don't ts is actually under-rated, it's just a bit in the shadows
Death of disco danceri don't hink thii don't ts is actually under-rated, it's just a bit in the shadows
Ruber ringi don't hink thii don't ts is actually under-rated, it's just a bit in the shadows
Girl afraidi don't hink thii don't ts is actually under-rated, it's just a bit in the shadows

But the most over-rated thing is mey keyboard which is playing up!!

Last edited:
Stop me-this time Kim Wildes You keep me haingiing on is reinvented

It isn't Kim Wilde's. It's The Supremes. Calling into question your dismissal of the songs on the grounds of plagiarism (cue: "Cemetry Gates"). :D

This made me laugh:

2. “Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now” (1984)
Over the course of this song, Morrissey is miserable because: a) he is no longer drunk; b) he found a job; and c) the sight of two lovers makes him feel lonely. This is a reasonable scenario until we realize that, at that time, Morrissey: a) doesn’t drink alcohol; b) has never been employed; and c) is celibate by choice.

And it should have read, "a) didn't drink alcohol; b) had never been employed; and c) was celibate by choice. Tense changes, people.

Is "Stop Me" really thought to be "You Keep Me Hanging On"? It's got a smiliar tempo, but other than that...?
I'm a kinda big Supremes's fan, but I never really connected those two songs...

Is "Stop Me" really thought to be "You Keep Me Hanging On"? It's got a smiliar tempo, but other than that...?
I'm a kinda big Supremes's fan, but I never really connected those two songs...

I've no idea if Mclenarr got there first, but as far as I know the only other person who has made that connection was Mark Ronson, who mentioned it as an inspiration for his 'cover' "Stop Me". It's a provocative comparison but, of course, the character in Morrissey's "Stop Me" is keeping someone else hanging on, making Mark's version either a deliberate inversion or a really bad misunderstanding of The Smiths' original.

It isn't Kim Wilde's. It's The Supremes. Calling into question your dismissal of the songs on the grounds of plagiarism (cue: "Cemetry Gates"). :D
Oh yeah, i must have been trying to be tedious, sorry i was sucsesful.

Well i'm not dismissing them i'm just saying they're discredited a bit. I heard about RATF so i looke up the song on y/t and the similarity is very obvious, i think i've heard people say DOADD is a reip off of Siousiux and the banshees DEear Prudence,which i can seee something in.

Well i'm not dismissing them i'm just saying they're discredited a bit. I heard about RATF so i looke up the song on y/t and the similarity is very obvious, i think i've heard people say DOADD is a reip off of Siousiux and the banshees DEear Prudence,which i can seee something in.

don't you mean the Beatles' Dear Prudence?

The Beatles, not Siouxsie And The Banshees.

Peter

You weren't tedious, your comments are always appreciated. If there were no debates about little things there'd be no debate at all on this forum. I've been reduced to comparing Sting to Morrissey for kicks.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9kiUY7hGs5k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9kiUY7hGs5k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This made me laugh:

It's sort of funny until you reflect that the "I" isn't necessarily Morrissey himself, in which case the criticism of the lyrics is churlish and unimaginative with respect to a song that is probably the most universally relevant lyric Morrissey ever wrote.

It's sort of funny until you reflect that the "I" isn't necessarily Morrissey himself, in which case the criticism of the lyrics is churlish and unimaginative with respect to a song that is probably the most universally relevant lyric Morrissey ever wrote.

There you go getting all deep on me again.

things I learned in this thread:

1. Kim Wilde wrote "You Keep Me Hangin On"

2. Siouxsie wrote "Dear Prudence"

3. "HSIN?" is not overrated.

unreal.

Do agree that "Still Ill" is not underrated, I always thought it one of the more popular Smiths songs. "Vicar In a Tutu" is one of my least favorite Smiths songs (which still puts it miles above the favorite songs of other artists, I'm a firm believer that the band does not have any bad songs)

I never connected "Stop Me" with "You Keep Me Hanging On" before but I can totally hear it now. That said, Mark Ronson should be shot in the face with a cannon.

I know this is complete blasphemy, and I am a HUGE Beatles fan, but I'll be damned if Siouxsie's "Dear Prudence" isnt better than the original.

There you go getting all deep on me again.

Deep as a birdbath.

Sorry but I can't stand the criticism I've read of "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now". Not yours, but MAGNET's and a few other knocks I read in reviews of The Sound of The Smiths. Makes me act the motherf***in' fool. I'd prefer they just said "It's bad" (like columbula on HSIN). I accept that a hell of a lot more readily than I do the explanations I've read as to why it sucks.

Deep as a birdbath.

Sorry but I can't stand the criticism I've read of "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now". Not yours, but MAGNET's and a few other knocks I read in reviews of The Sound of The Smiths. Makes me act the motherf***in' fool. I'd prefer they just said "It's bad", like columbula. I accept that a hell of a lot more readily than I do the explanations I've read as to why it sucks.

Oh, I love the song. But then, I'm not typically critical by nature. Whether that's good or bad, I don't know.

Everything is deep at the moment since I've been up for nearly 24 hours. I'm a little punchy at the moment, which is why, thanks to you, I now have DMX running through my head. :)

I know this is complete blasphemy, and I am a HUGE Beatles fan, but I'll be damned if Siouxsie's "Dear Prudence" isnt better than the original.

Now, steady on! Are we in the sty? *looks* shit! Please can you agree to me saying something extremely derogatary about you? TY!

Back
Top Bottom