Lyrics sources

Helen

You may have seen the lyrics sources page on LASID, which is here.

John, who ran that site, no longer has time to update it. Being a pedantic pain-in-the-bum librarian, I spotted more sources to add to it - so John let me use the content on his page on my own site, and edit it as I felt was relevant.

So.... *drum roll please* *fanfare and 21-gun salute even better*... I bring you... the new, all-singing, all-dancing updated and revised lyrics sources pages! With photos! And handy links to Amazon if you decide you absolutely MUST buy a book of John Betjeman's poems.

The sources for Smiths lyrics are here, and for Morrissey songs, here.

I don't pretend that these are all perfectly accurate, neither do I pretend that it's an exhaustive list - I'll continue to add more as and when I - or you - find them.

This forum isn't my usual stomping ground, so if you desperately want to tell me about something on the pages, then please pm me, or contact me on the email which you'll find on prettypettythieves.com.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Good effort!!!

That was my first introductory website to Morrissey (in the days when I struggled to work out how to not tap z and x and spacebar as I thought all computers were for Daley Thompson's Decathlon.)

Glad someone has decided to "update" it though

Thank you very much Helen for your hard work.
It's wonderful to have updated lyrics database. :)

Very impressive, thanks for taking your time to update it. :)

Awwww, thanks guys! it's fun to do, incredibly. I was reading "The Lion in Love" at lunchtime and found 3 more references that Moz has perhaps nicked. I know there's some more in the script of "The Knack" as well, other than the constant harping on about the YWCA. ;) Need to re-read it....

I was also pleased to notice the wholesale theft Moz performed on the dying-scene from "Wuthering Heights" in "You Have Killed Me". The fact that Catherine does actually say "You have killed me!" closely followed by "I forgive you" made me laugh and laugh and laugh. I knew I recognised it when I heard the song, and at first thought it was from one of Emily's poems where she says something about images that kill her with desire. Then I checked WH (a poor old falling apart much scribbled on favourite book!) and there it was... Moz STILL doing his trolley-dash through the pages of literature. Bless 'im.

Hahahaha, I remember using a pc for the first time, and not understanding why ctrl-p didn't do a paragraph indent like wot it did on my Atari!

Did I snore? ;)

Still finding more steals from "The Lion in Love". It's quite a good play anyway, so it's fun research. Check this out, for example:

Nell: There's no fortunes being made around here.
Andy: I'm working on it.
Nell: And getting nowhere fast.
Andy: These things take time.

And the hilarious:
Nora: Pagliacci - that's me.

It's like rumaging about in Moz's wardrobe!

:eek:

[FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial][FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial]Glamorous Glue
"...I am too much in love."
The Picture Of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

"Glamorous glue" is apparently a euphemism for masculine ejaculate

------------

I thought
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial][FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial]Glamorous Glue was supposed to be about sniffing glue?
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

"Glamorous glue" is apparently a euphemism for masculine ejaculate

Oh great...now I really am going to be ill next time I hear that song

It was Math Tinder who pointed out the F. Lee Bailey thing. It does seem odd, but when you factor in the stuff about being a celebrity barrister, as well as being on the case of a notorious murderer, it does indeed sound like the kind of bloke Morrissey would hire!

As to the... ahem... "ejaculate"... while the song is about sniffing glue, it wouldn't surprise me in the least that Morrissey would be cheeky and use a little-known euphemism for "something else" as the title. Though I'll add in the thing about the jar, definitely. Makes me think of that skinhead film with Tim Roth in it. I'd kind of taken jar to mean "jar" as in the northern term for "pint of whatever you fancy", as well as glue-sniffing... but yes, the more I think about it, the more obvious it is that it's glue-sniffing jars.

Though I must say that I'm Miss Double-Entendre, and have only heard it said once that glamorous glue is a euphemism for that (same with "reel around the fountain" being a euphemism for fellatio) - which makes me slightly apprehensive. But, I do think it's worth mentioning seeing as someone else has suggested it - it's food for thought, anyway.

The main thing is, though, I'm interested in Morrissey using literature, songs and films for his sources - they're the most exciting to find!

It was Math Tinder who pointed out the F. Lee Bailey thing. It does seem odd, but when you factor in the stuff about being a celebrity barrister, as well as being on the case of a notorious murderer, it does indeed sound like the kind of bloke Morrissey would hire!

As to the... ahem... "ejaculate"... while the song is about sniffing glue, it wouldn't surprise me in the least that Morrissey would be cheeky and use a little-known euphemism for "something else" as the title. Though I'll add in the thing about the jar, definitely. Makes me think of that skinhead film with Tim Roth in it. I'd kind of taken jar to mean "jar" as in the northern term for "pint of whatever you fancy", as well as glue-sniffing... but yes, the more I think about it, the more obvious it is that it's glue-sniffing jars.

Though I must say that I'm Miss Double-Entendre, and have only heard it said once that glamorous glue is a euphemism for that (same with "reel around the fountain" being a euphemism for fellatio) - which makes me slightly apprehensive. But, I do think it's worth mentioning seeing as someone else has suggested it - it's food for thought, anyway.

The main thing is, though, I'm interested in Morrissey using literature, songs and films for his sources - they're the most exciting to find!

Great work, but begging your pardon Helen. It wasn't Math who pointed that out, it was Mitando. She thinks everything has to do with OJ.

I hadn't heard of Mitando banging on about OJ before - and it was definitely Math who suggested the Bailey explanation to me. How very peculiar!

Awwww, thanks guys! it's fun to do, incredibly. I was reading "The Lion in Love" at lunchtime and found 3 more references that Moz has perhaps nicked. I know there's some more in the script of "The Knack" as well, other than the constant harping on about the YWCA. ;) Need to re-read it....

I was also pleased to notice the wholesale theft Moz performed on the dying-scene from "Wuthering Heights" in "You Have Killed Me". The fact that Catherine does actually say "You have killed me!" closely followed by "I forgive you" made me laugh and laugh and laugh. I knew I recognised it when I heard the song, and at first thought it was from one of Emily's poems where she says something about images that kill her with desire. Then I checked WH (a poor old falling apart much scribbled on favourite book!) and there it was... Moz STILL doing his trolley-dash through the pages of literature. Bless 'im.
:eek: I can't believe I never thought of that, and "Wuthering Heights" is my favourite book (as well as one of Moz's favourites)! :o

I am quite suspicious of the theory about "reel around the fountain" being a euphemism for fellatio, for the same reason, I've never seen it mentioned in any slang dictionary (and I've searched through a lot of those!) or used in any other context - the only times I saw it mentioned is when people talk about The Smiths song! Besides, isn't it funny that you never see "fountain" mentioned as a euphemism for penis/ejaculation, while quite a few dictionaries of slang mention it as a euphemism for vagina? ("love fountain", "fountain of love"...)

I posted this in the "ITFWAW" thread, but it fits better here:

I think I found Lee... http://www.comcast.net/music/index.j...25/672497.html

Hope that link works... in short, Henry Lee is a forensic scientist whose assessment of the evidence in the OJ Simpson trial swayed jurors to the side of OJ's defense.

However, he's in the news because apparently he tampered with evidence in Phil Spector's case.

Sounds good? I think so.

Back
Top Bottom