Lyrics of the four new songs

Just to clarify. I am not talking about the teenagers from the Manchester concert. But if Bonfire of Teenagers is about the concert I would think Morrissey's thinking is sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. Those poor victims deserved the outpouring of love and solidarity that was shown. But maybe anger is the right policy, sometimes. God forbid, someone with a bomb is able to massacre innocent concert goers ever again. I am in awe of these people who forgive the person or people who take away their loved ones. I never could.
And if anyone took my child's life I would want to kill them with my bare hands. All these kids being battered to death and dumped into ponds, perhaps if the social workers were angry and demanded the child was to be removed from that situation, no matter what, perhaps anger would save more lives. I don't know. I'm angry about the fact that it happened in the first place. But...no teenagers actually should be made into a bonfire. Just thought his take on it would be slightly more humorous. I laughed at the title. Am I looking into this too much. Sorry.

The lyrical decline from 'Suffer Little Children' to 'Bonfire of Teenagers' is quite spectacular. His talent seems to have shriveled as he has become an ever more embittered old man.

As I mention on the other thread after a few listens I am mostly positive in my reactions to the new songs. I think it's a mistake to try and judge the whole LP by 4 , short songs. Especially considering the producer of the lp, tends to leave his mark

That being said, as songs I liked them. You can certainly work out the lyrics and the singing and the singing style and basic melody (though you have to remember Art hounds and Crashing Bores were almost mortally injured in the studio)

I adore I live In Oblivion and really liked Rebels Without Applause, one a remarkable unflinching look at old age, and it seems Alzheimer's and the horrific way old people are treated like children, men that were strong and lived life at full speed are reduced to nothing and are offered no respect, often treated like babies

A remarkable subject for a pop song and a reminder of why M is so needed. While Marr, for instance, and his rock mates deal in outdated rock language and hippy spirituality M grabs at real life
This song was like an angrier version of some of Cherry Ghosts' songs (they are a fellow Manchester band)

The other song Rebels With.. is a love letter to music and the bands he loved and how sadly they have all but gone.

I liked the other two songs as well.
Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings, is, on the one hand, M doing his, nobody contacts him unless its for money routine- could he also be attacking vermin charity callers who ask for money? He comments (to them) " tell the children they are in hell now" could mean Manchester victims, or whatever (though could be about all sorts ).

This leads us to the title track, Bonfire - which is the second lp title track in a row that is, to me, one of the weaker songs.
Much like Dog On A Chain, I understand completely where he's coming from and relate and agree in a number of ways but much like that song one gets the impression M has become quite a shallow and empty person, who is blinded by ego, anger and reduced by bitterness, in art if not in life

To me he spends most of the song being sarcastic to the coping choices of the families and onlookers. Not the most enlightened approach.
Its amusing to me he seems riddled with jealousy that Manchester picked an Oasis song, as their song of choice to help them heal. Liam G also got involved to try and help, to much praise .
I expect M wanted so dearly There Is A Light to be the song of choice -remember this is someone who tried to have Paris reissued to go along with the Paris killings

For people not from England, you need to know M didn't do ONE thing to help, after the bombing, as far as I know. Unlike Liam and the Queen (the woman was about 94 at the time). Morrissey isn't the most heroic person and you just know he would be scared to death to be so scathing about the "Don't look back in anger" thing, in front of Liam. M is a man who is very cutting about people, once they have left the room

His comments about the Manchester bombing being the UK's 9/11 are way off ( as i mentioned 9/11 was USA's first homeland attack, the UK has had many such attacks, including IRA bombings and nightly air raids by the Germans)

As an English person, his attacking the NHS is a bit much, this seemed to start after his mum died. It's a bit much, as he is loaded and rich, he could have paid for his mum's medical bills and gone private, why didn't he?

That said, I love the NHS and what it stands for, but it's not perfect and one should be able to cast a comment - why he mentioned the NHS to a room full of yanks, I do not know- they probably thought he was on about a Hockey league

I hope people do not think I'm attacking M, I'm not really. I love the guy. I'm going to 4 nights in Vegas, I just get disappointed when he doesn't quite reach the standards he once did, in regard to his views. As I say my thought in general of the new songs is positive.
In fact its only Bonifre that leaves a bad taste and that isn't "bad"

I was so impressed by I live In Oblivion, I forgive the more negative stuff, anyway. Looking forward to hearing more
What exactly did you expect Morrissey to do after the attack?
Also his attacking the NHS is mostly likely an attack on the tory government hell bent on dismantling it and their fantasy of having a private health care system they so crave (and will profit from).
He knows full well the hard working NHS staff are under funded and under resourced.

Overall I'm impressed with the new songs. I'd probably rate "Rebels..." as my favorite and "Sure Enough..." as the weakest (at least as of now... might change with the album versions). Not quite sure how I feel about the song BOT. Rather than a sensitive tribute to the victims (ala "Suffer Little Children"), he seems more intent on ridiculing how the "silly people" and "morons" coped with this tragedy. Honest question, other than being critical of how everyone else handled it, did he do anything to help any of the victims? I agree with @Dirk Blaggard's comments on the topic above.

But to close on a positive note... it makes me excited for the new album and hope we get more previews.
I think the point of the song is that we must not excuse or forgive the killer. No mercy for the killer.

I think the point of the song is that we must not excuse or forgive the killer. No mercy for the killer.

and the right to be naturally angry about it.

And the silly people sing: "Don't Look Back in Anger"
And the morons swing and say: "Don't Look Back in Anger"
I can assure you I will look back in anger 'till the day I die

Is this the closest we'll ever get to an acknowledgement of Bowie's passing? :unsure:

Eccentric or demented? Maybe too soon to tell but Morrissey can rock both equally well. Bring on the Bonfire.

Honestly though that one makes Kiss’ Detroit Rock City seem worthy of a reevaluation.

The lyrics to Bonfire are horrendous. Yet again, he shows off his completely tone-deaf and disgustingly crude misanthropy. How can he look himself in the mirror and call these people, fellow Mancunians, who as a community in mourning, turned to Don’t Look Back In Anger and used that song as a means of comfort and solace, silly and say that they are morons? When all they did was try to stay sane, stay together and show that they were not backing down? Has he really become this bitter, spiteful, out of touch and filled with hatred? That’s overwhelmingly sad and far worse than any so-called racism.

He does a great job turning the public against him. When these lyrics leak to the media, the backlash will be significant. Another backlash, instead of a triumphant comeback.

Not to mention the stupid f***ing title of the song and the unbelievably insensitive use of the word “vaporize”. I’m sure the parents of the victims would love what happened to their children to be described as them being vaporized.

The lyrics to Bonfire are horrendous. Yet again, he shows off his completely tone-deaf and disgustingly crude misanthropy. How can he look himself in the mirror and call these people, fellow Mancunians, who as a community in mourning, turned to Don’t Look Back In Anger and used that song as a means of comfort and solace, silly and say that they are morons? When all they did was try to stay sane, stay together and show that they were not backing down? Has he really become this bitter, spiteful, out of touch and filled with hatred? That’s overwhelmingly sad and far worse than any so-called racism.

He does a great job turning the public against him. When these lyrics leak to the media, the backlash will be significant. Another backlash, instead of a triumphant comeback.

Not to mention the stupid f***ing title of the song and the unbelievably insensitive use of the word “vaporize”. I’m sure the parents of the victims would love what happened to their children to be described as them being vaporized.

I would love to hear the Gallaghers’ take on these lyrics. It makes them look like heroes. Imagine calling mourners “morons”, what an absolute misfire by the old Mozzer.

Half a million Iraqi kids murdered by sanctions
Millions injured dead and displaced by US/ UK wars for their Zionazi masters
Write a song about that you cockroach

Or perhaps a song about the IRA?

Half a million Iraqi kids murdered by sanctions
Millions injured dead and displaced by US/ UK wars for their Zionazi masters
Write a song about that you cockroach

Or perhaps a song about the IRA?
He did a song about the IRA 25 years ago. “This Is Not Your Country”. Do keep up.

Agreed, it's going to backfire badly. I think it's clear what he's getting at (huge anger is a normal response) - but it's just expressed so clumsily. Given such a serious, personal topic, he could have expanded on his 'anger' a bit more - but the song just sort of peters out. He says it's England's 9/11 and then gives it a crass title and 2 very half-arsed verses. The sheer difference in effort between this and 'Suffer Little Children' -where he sketches the whole story of the abductions, the families grieving and Hindley's guilt in prison - is incredible. Did he really have nothing more to say?

I would love to hear the Gallaghers’ take on these lyrics. It makes them look like heroes. Imagine calling mourners “morons”, what an absolute misfire by the old Mozzer.
They are heroes. Inasmuch pop stars can be heroes in this context. Their music, not Morrissey’s, brought people together in a time of absolute horror.

Agreed, it's going to backfire badly. I think it's clear what he's getting at (huge anger is a normal response) - but it's just expressed so clumsily. Given such a serious, personal topic, he could have expanded on his 'anger' a bit more - but the song just sort of peters out. He says it's England's 9/11 and then gives it a crass title and 2 very half-arsed verses. The sheer difference in effort between this and 'Suffer Little Children' -where he sketches the whole story of the abductions, the families grieving and Hindley's guilt in prison - is incredible. Did he really have nothing more to say?
Exactly. Anger is fine and expected and very healthy, but for f***’s sake. Don’t direct it at the bloody mourners, you absolute lunatic. It’s as if he’s trying desperately to annihilate his career and his reputation.
And strong point regarding Suffer Little Children. Sure, he wrote that song 40 years ago, but still. Hard to think it’s the same guy.

Noel Gallagher is a coward and a smug one at that he won't condemn his mate Morrissey. Liam is another matter.
Don't Look Back In Anger is an awful dad-rock pile of poo.
I'm not sure the Manchester Evening News will campaign against the lyrics of the song, they seem to be very careful about what they report about Morrissey and what angle they take.
As a Mancunian I pay close attention to what they report and have done for years. Trust me they could have been much more harsh where he is concerned, down the years.

The lyrics to 'Bonfire...' and 'Telephone...' are on a par with the irate letters angry old gammons write to their local papers. I bought tickets to Brixton but seriously thinking I will sell them if this is the set he brings to the UK. I can honestly imagine his own fans booing him if he starts up 'Bonfire' over here.

Lyrically partly disconcerting and caught in a very own world, the musical similarity of RWA to CG is the main thing that sticks.
This in turn, shows that this kind of music suits him better than a faceless rocker like SETTR, which would not even have been used as a B-side in the 90s. All very strange, very defiant and a bit crude to make the big comeback again. But the rest of "Morrissey's Angels" will surely celebrate BOT at the concerts.

Back
Top Bottom