Lyon - Amphithéâtre 3000 (March 12, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Our Frank / I Wish You Lonely / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Irish Blood, English Heart / Jim Jim Falls / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Girlfriend In A Coma / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Without Music The World Dies / The Bullfighter Dies / The Loop / The Night Pop Dropped / Istanbul / Half A Person / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Knockabout World / Trouble Loves Me / Suedehead / Jack The Ripper // Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of @Mozzer1980, Mars, setlist.fm & FWD.

Last edited:
On many other fan discussion boards (like Depeche Mode and Duran Duran) fans always complain why the bands build their sets around 40 year old hits instead of playing more deep cuts and newer material. Which is of course what Morrissey does -- and I kind of applaud that. If he just rolled out the old Smiths and early solo hits every time, would he be able to tour as much as he does? Now he leaves people wanting more.

It was promoted and sold as an all seated gig with Platinium tickets of 150 euros each in front of the stage... but what can we see here, there was a standing era next to the stage , where everyone could go (=the happy few fans always served first at gigs, cherished by the management who let them get inside 20 minutes before everyone else). Ever felt cheated, friends ?
I think it is Morrissey's choice, as he has made it clear over many years how important to him the fans who travel around the world to go to his concerts are. Having fanatics trying to grab his hand, offer gifts and try to clamber on stage to get near to him is some consolation for not being able to sell out large venues.

people going on about old music versus new music,in 10 years there probably wont be as much new music to become old music,we should enjoy M as much as we can because he cant go on forever.

and whyyyyy ?

Badge worn:

ur,pin_small_front,wide_portrait,750x1000.u1~2.jpg
suedeheadsociety-13032023-0001.jpg

Lyon images from:

(Above includes some good band images).
FWD.

Just one from Bonfire!? Starting to seem like he has given up on it after all. What can he do though, if it really can't be released I suppose there isn't much point playing tracks from it.

and whyyyyy ?

I think Suedehead is one song that his bands have always struggled to do justice, but that sounds decent. Better than the dreadfully wimpy live version on the B-Side of We Hate it When Our Friends Become Successful, many moons ago.

Last edited:
Nothing in Smiths is difficult to play so people who say Tobias can’t do it I assume are not guitar players. Difficult to ‘come up with’, fine, but Tobias doesn’t need to….
Anyone who plays guitars well can do it. Bit. Morrissey. The boss doesn't want to play them. !!!

On many other fan discussion boards (like Depeche Mode and Duran Duran) fans always complain why the bands build their sets around 40 year old hits instead of playing more deep cuts and newer material. Which is of course what Morrissey does -- and I kind of applaud that. If he just rolled out the old Smiths and early solo hits every time, would he be able to tour as much as he does? Now he leaves people wanting more.
Depeche Mode simply haven't updated their songbook past "Music for the Masses" - its offerings of which are indistinguishable from jingles.

You simply can't compare Morrissey with them for the simple fact that he's written and performed hundreds of amazing songs since 1987 - some of which are prescient and profound, while others simply narrate the internal dialogue of a very sensitive, gentle and shy man.

The ongoing comparison of DM and M just baffles me.

Trouble loves me, yes definitely should be in every setlist , one of his all time great songs

The other two should be cut / when have so many other tunes to pick from and then keep hammering away on those, b sides at best , I wish you lonely notable only for the gunships from Bergen line, which is more for the comedic value than anything.
Jim Jim falls, really is a poor song, plus the live version also doesn’t have the interesting electronic production off the album.
I Wish You....is for me, A great song. Each to their own.

I can't believe the shite he decides to play when he has such a wonderful catalogue. Sweet and Tender is in the top 5 worst Smiths songs. Same with London. His voice isn't meant for that punk tempo. And Our Frank is like a childish jingle. Istanbul?? Bullfighter?? Jesus!! But please don't ever play My Love Life or Sing Your Life, or anything off Vauxhall. And never play anything from Refusal, one of his least appreciated records. Yes I'm frustrated!!

Overall I think the set lists have been good, though should definitely drop:

I wish you lonely
Jim jim falls
Without music the world dies (a great title and then basically a duelling guitar play off between Jesse & Alain as the spotlights switch between them which drags on far too long)
Istanbul
Knockabout world
It seems like recording with uncle Joe again has led M torediscover the other recordings produced by Joe C. I can have Istanbul and Knockabout World any time.
Just one from Bonfire!? Starting to seem like he has given up on it after all. What can he do though, if it really can't be released I suppose there isn't much point playing tracks from it.
If he’s going to do only one track from Bonfire, why go for SETTR every night instead of using a rotation of different songs (RWA, Veronica, Saint, BOT) ?

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Our Frank / I Wish You Lonely / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Irish Blood, English Heart / Jim Jim Falls / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Girlfriend In A Coma / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Without Music The World Dies / The Bullfighter Dies / The Loop / The Night Pop Dropped / Istanbul / Half A Person / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Knockabout World / Trouble Loves Me / Suedehead / Jack The Ripper // Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of @Mozzer1980, Mars, setlist.fm & FWD.

Hello, I just posted my review of the show on suississimo.com : https://suississimo.com/2023/03/14/morrissey-the-lyonheart/
Enjoy and share if you like it, Bonne journée, David

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom