Lynn Barber on inteviewing Morrissey

Re: Lynne Barbour on inteviewing Morrissey

From the UK Sunday Times, today, Sunday 20h April

V89kuAi.jpg

P.

Wonder if Lynne Barbour has read his "Autobiography". Just in case she didn't get enough detail on the lawsuit face to face.

"Trying to establish a solo career but without much success" is an odd choice of words- he'd been solo for nearly 15 years by 2002. Seems like the kind of perfunctory research that shouldn't be left out before interviewing someone, but I may be dwelling on something that's purely semantics. Who knows?

Last edited:

I wonder if Colorado Springs was on the Songs To Save Your Life CD because of visiting for the tour mentioned in the article or did he choose it as a tour venue because of the song?

I remember the interview. She admitted in the piece that she made the fatal error of talking to him before seeing him in 'performance'. On the stage, she said, he made perfect sense, and one could not avert ones gaze. Even though he was 'long after his peak' :rolleyes:

He was at the height of his judicial obsession at that time, and it did seem to take up most of their time together. Although, in between Joyce & Judge bashing, he did manage to squeeze in a convincing argument as to why Jarvis Cocker (one of Lynn's cool young chums at the time ~ alongside Burchill, Emin et al) wasn't a true pop star, to wit: he cannot actually sing. Fair point ;)

And it's Lynn Barber ~ no e, gents hairdresser not gents jacket.

Doesn't he have an aunt there or something?

From the UK Sunday Times, Sunday 20th April.

Lynn Barber on interviewing Morrissey:

"I've interviewed several pop stars long after their peaks: Rod Stewart, Boy George, Morrissey. Morrissey was a weird one. I interviewed him in 2002 when he was touring the States, trying to establish a solo career but without much success, and I met him in a most unlikely air-force town called Colorado Springs, where I'd have thought they shot people like Morrissey on sight. He was staying at a sort of golf-spa hotel a few miles out of town and cut a lonely, miserable figure. He was obsessed at the time with a lawsuit brought by one of his former bandmates, and was so busy telling me chapter and verse of this lawsuit I could hardly get him to talk about music at all."

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
What ? Mike Joyce took Tosserry to court ? Really ?

Who won ?

Benny-the-British-Butcher

"Trying to establish a solo career but without much success" is an odd choice of words- he'd been solo for nearly 15 years by 2002. Seems like the kind of perfunctory research that shouldn't be left out before interviewing someone, but I may be dwelling on something that's purely semantics. Who knows?
You're right , it's the first thing I thought when I saw that
and 2 years later he was Bigger then ever w` Quarry

His sister lives in the Arvada area, I think. Colorado Springs is about an hour due south of Denver. It's a military town, poster city for urban sprawl, we lived there for a few months after we moved to Colorado. I'm not a fan, but I don't care for constant reminders of urban blight and decay. From the sounds of it, he was staying at the Broadmoor Hotel. It's in one of the nicer areas of town.

Why do a-holes such as Lynn Barber get the honor of interviewing Moz? I could do a much better job. She's like the journalist who printed something about Moz next to a photo of Edwyn Collins. These people are clueless & foolish.

In fairness his career at that point was on the wane. No record deal for 5 years, touring to small capacity venues, up-and-coming bands citing him as a major influence and quite obviously still smarting from the greatest miscarriage of justice since John Lydon appeared on Judge Judy.

I seem to remember the final words of the interview were at least Ill be remembered as a curious footnote in the history of pop music.

Indeed his career trajectory was so down that he even said he liked this website :lbf:

Is she still alive??? Read her when I was young, that was yonks ago!

Lose the battle but win the war! C
My Ma loved that saying! She lost many battles and won many wars! Mike Joyce looks like a tired Manchester Postman IMO, not a good look at all, thank God for Moz saving him from what should have been his fate. xXx

Lose the battle but win the war! C

Mmmmm !
I think lose the battle and never stop banging on about it sounds better don't you ? Or how about lose the battle and admit to yourself that you are devious, truculent, and unreliable. Or lose the battle and just get on with it, life is to short. And last but by no means least, lose the battle and admit it your a selfish tosser.

My Ma loved that saying! She lost many battles and won many wars! Mike Joyce looks like a tired Manchester Postman IMO, not a good look at all, thank God for Moz saving him from what should have been his fate. xXx

So what is the difference between a Manchester post person and a Dublin, Dundee, Humberside or wherever post person ?
Mike looks alright to me to be honest unlike fat-face who is never out of hospital for this and that and the other.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom