Luke Haines (Auteurs, Black Box Recorder, Baader Meinhoff etc) Reviews Autobiography for The Quietus

Re: Luke Haines (Auteurs, Black Box Recorder, Baader Meinhoff etc) Reviews Autobiography for The Qui

Feisty and interesting review by Luke Haines here

A cracking review. Don't agree with every word, of course (what, with me being a person and all that) but he has clearly read the book. I mean, actually read the thing, unlike many reviewers. And he has arrived at a position. And it is his own. Rather like Morrissey. And this is why the book is absolutely f***ing wonderful (Brummie Boy, you more than anyone should appreciate this) because it is him, it is his, it is so utterly honest (even when being unfair and twisting the facts and the knife) it is true to you, to him, to everyone and everything. Like the songs, the singing, the crackpot, unthoughtthrough opinons. The truth. The truth. The truth. Even when launching the occasional fibby-fib. Morrissey's autobiography is love. Must be loved. It is surprising, lovely and blunderingly wrong-footed. IT IS SASQUATCH!!!

Re: Luke Haines (Auteurs, Black Box Recorder, Baader Meinhoff etc) Reviews Autobiography for The Qui

"Our hero Stephen The Joycean Modernist (that's modernism 1920s style) also has a peculiar affection for American spellings. f*** alone knows why, but frankly there are more important things to get your knackers twisted about than a stray 'humor' 'glamor' or 'ass'. Actually scrub that last one, 'ass' is pretty offensive. Arse every time please. (Matron etc!) Ass only if you are an Arsehole. Moz - he like to say 'no' to Mr. Ed. Editors of course can be a useful thing but in this case the lack of editing works to Morrissey's favour (favor?) The grammar bores and punctuation pussies can get tae f***. Good writing is all about ideas and content, and El Mozzadente – the man who cut the apron strings of editing – gives good content."

Christ's beak, this book is a lot of fun. It's also rather exhausting – but then so is life.

A cracking review. Don't agree with every word, of course (what, with me being a person and all that) but he has clearly read the book. I mean, actually read the thing, unlike many reviewers. And he has arrived at a position. And it is his own. Rather like Morrissey. And this is why the book is absolutely f***ing wonderful (Brummie Boy, you more than anyone should appreciate this) because it is him, it is his, it is so utterly honest (even when being unfair and twisting the facts and the knife) it is true to you, to him, to everyone and everything. Like the songs, the singing, the crackpot, unthoughtthrough opinons. The truth. The truth. The truth. Even when launching the occasional fibby-fib. Morrissey's autobiography is love. Must be loved. It is surprising, lovely and blunderingly wrong-footed. IT IS SASQUATCH!!!

It's a mess. It's fun but it's like watching bad stand-up or strippers: you want to exit but..just..can't..!

"Our hero Stephen The Joycean Modernist (that's modernism 1920s style) also has a peculiar affection for American spellings. f*** alone knows why, but frankly there are more important things to get your knackers twisted about than a stray 'humor' 'glamor' or 'ass'. Actually scrub that last one, 'ass' is pretty offensive. Arse every time please. (Matron etc!) Ass only if you are an Arsehole. Moz - he like to say 'no' to Mr. Ed. Editors of course can be a useful thing but in this case the lack of editing works to Morrissey's favour (favor?) The grammar bores and punctuation pussies can get tae f***. Good writing is all about ideas and content, and El Mozzadente – the man who cut the apron strings of editing – gives good content."

Morrissey wouldn't know what to do with a subscription to Grammarly, even if it knocked him senseless with a Southpaw wake-up call by putting his 'literature' through their mincer. MIDNITE is a more accomplished writer than Morrissey. Seriously. Good writing is NOT JUST about ideas and content. If I were to collate my ravings here and print them under Penguin as "Critical Biography: Morrissey" everyone would, quite rightly, mock and scorn. If, however, I vanished to The Libary of Birmingham and did it proper, loike, with structure, grammar, references and a consistent authorial voice, rather than pretending to be a multiple personality, people would have to take it seriously. Which they would/will, if I ever get time. Of course, Morrissey only interests me as Example A of 'fame, fame, fatal fame' and would only get a chapter.

Luke Haines is moderately talented if somewhat over ambitious for his vaulting projects. I was sent a copy of The North Sea Scrolls. I haven't got past the first few tracks, and doubt I ever will. It's 'quite good', but then so is most stuff. Anyone can make a 'good' record nowadays, but that's not really what it's about, is it Morrissey?

"Our hero Stephen The Joycean Modernist"

Absurd. I've rewritten POTAAAYM and it's better than the original, as is my yearly trip to Howth to re-write Molly Bloom's soliloquy from the perspective of a trisexual shape-shifting shirt-lifter BrummieBoy. Morrissey is a minor lyricist, not even a poet. He cannot write prose. There's no point imagining otherwise, Luke, just to save your 'sunk investment' in his patchy oeuvre.

Next!

Back
Top Bottom