Lucky Lips

lnathan

Believe it or not, I was a Cliff Richard fan as a child. I was hopelessly uncool (I am 27).
Today, at a closing sale in a local vinyl shop, I found the old 7" single, "Lucky Lips". The b-side is "I Wonder" - pure beauty!

"Well, I Wonder" ...if this was a favourite of Morrisseys too?

Oh, Cliff
Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if
You really are a Cliff
When fascists keep trying to push you over it
Are they the lemmings?
Or are you Cliff?
Or are you, Cliff?

:D

I do find Lucky Lisp such an odd song, like it's about something specific that I don't quite get or have access to. I like it for it's oddness I guess and Morrissey's voice is just beautiful on it I think! I remember reading in the David Bret book (yes, that fountain of knowledge :rolleyes: ) that it wasn't clear whether Morrissey was in praise of Cliff or was being sarcastic. But is it actually about Cliff for definite, I mean there are no concrete ties to it being about him are there?! Yeah, I've no idea in case you hadn't guessed!

Oh, Cliff
You really are a Cliff
Are they the lemmings?
Or are you Cliff?
Or are you, Cliff?

oh the joy, you've quoted from the young ones from Rick (with the silent P)

Oh, Cliff
You really are a Cliff
Are they the lemmings?
Or are you Cliff?
Or are you, Cliff?

i always thought that me and Neil were related:confused:

I do find Lucky Lisp such an odd song, like it's about something specific that I don't quite get or have access to. I like it for it's oddness I guess and Morrissey's voice is just beautiful on it I think! I remember reading in the David Bret book (yes, that fountain of knowledge :rolleyes: ) that it wasn't clear whether Morrissey was in praise of Cliff or was being sarcastic. But is it actually about Cliff for definite, I mean there are no concrete ties to it being about him are there?! Yeah, I've no idea in case you hadn't guessed!

Oh I don't think the song is about him at all. I was just wondering if it was possible that he liked that particular single since the song titles "Lucky Lisp" and "Well, I wonder" sounds a bit like references to those songs.
Being an Elvis fan I think it is very likely that he finds Cliff pretty ridiculous. But this single IS exeptionally charming :o
In fact I'm am going to play it again right now.

Lucky Lisp is about Billy Fury. Read the lyrics and Billy Furys bio (esp. the bit about a 5 leaf clover and his MJ habit and it will all make sense.) I recently heard Lucky Lips by Quiff and it appears El Mozzo has indeed nicked half the title and all the chorus.

Oh well "genius steals"

^^Cliff's song also mentions a four leave clover.

I might be ignorant but Quiff, is that your slang for Cliff or is that a band?

i always thought that me and Neil were related:confused:

Tee hee. That was a good episode.
My older sister had the Lucky Lips 45 single with a full colour
sleeve. I remember it.
Don't know what happened to it.
My sister adored Cliff Richard.

^^Cliff's song also mentions a four leave clover.

I might be ignorant but Quiff, is that your slang for Cliff or is that a band?

Yes it is the slang for the Mighty Cliff!

However, Cliff mentions a lucky four leaf clover, but Morrissey mentions a Five leaf clover. Marajuana leaves have 5 leaves, and Billy Fury was a massive pot head. This is just one reference that links the song to BF.

There are others and the fact that Moz said in an interivew somewhere it was about him.

Look out... CLIFF!

Stu

Ah I see. Im gonna start saying Quiff now, it sounds better :D

I believe it's about Billy Fury when you say it. But in the lyrics sheet it says 9 leave clover. But that also makes more sense regarding marihuana leaves. I'm pretty sure they have more than 5 leaves.

But surely "Lucky Lisp" and "9 Leave Clover" is not a complete coincidense

Apologies! It is nine leaf clover - I made an error.

This line sums it up - Moz wrote it about BF as he felt he was doomed to be unappreciated and Moz loves his music.

"When your names with the best
Will my name be on your guest list ?"

You know I always thought he sang 'manly clover' for some reason, it's amazing how you can sing along with the complete wrong lyrics sometimes without even thinking. Goodness knows what I thought a manly clover was... clearly haven't been listening to this song closely!

I've just been reading Billy Fury's biography, it was pretty interesting and a bit of a sad story, I can see why Morrissey was/ is drawn to him. And the song suddenly makes sense to me which is nice :)

Back
Top Bottom