Low In High School: What do you think of it?

To answer the question in the thread title: BRILLIANT.

Bloody f***ing brilliant and unique and without any precedent when comparing to any other music from whoever. Even from himself.

There. I just said it and I don’t care what anybody else thinks.
Interesting but not convincing me.

Of course people can say I am deluded.
Everybody on this planet is.

I choose my delusion carefully and enjoy it as much as I can cause that’s what delusion is for.

And if it is done with great music, wit, grand gestures and passion I am okay with it.

I concur, I'm not afraid to say when I don't like a release, I never really warmed to Quarry which puts me in the minority, but this is balls-to-the-wall brilliant. I love every single track.

I'm currently learning mastering, it's very insightful. I never realised that things are mastered for different audiences until now. For example, ignoring musical taste, Muse will sound much better on a good stereo system and on a mono system much of their songs will be lost. Much like with this new album. Whereas stuff aimed at a more popular audience such as Happy will sound very similar no matter what it's played on. I guess most people will just hear the voice and say, this sounds like Morrissey, or Muse, or whatever, I like or I don't like it. But the difference between what you listen to it on is quite a lot.

Agreed.
But, i believe he is one of the very few artists which songs are still up and standing even if stripped down from all the beautiful music and production and even if there are some lyrics that are clumsy. It is the strong content and the expression.

But I have to admit the musicians and the great production in this case make the songs so much stronger.

I concur, I'm not afraid to say when I don't like a release, I never really warmed to Quarry which puts me in the minority, but this is balls-to-the-wall brilliant. I love every single track.

I really liked “Quarry” at the time of the release after tbe seven wilderness years without any product (and fear he might never record another album) and the songs are still great to me but in hindsight it was a bit tuned, production wise to be more commercial and as such it succeeded but with all the electronic beeps and radio friendly, cheesy sound effects it felt like a compromise. Not completely without reasot as there was much at stake and I cannot say I dislike the album for that.

I really liked “Quarry” at the time of the release after tbe seven wilderness years without any product (and fear he might never record another album) and the songs are still great to me but in hindsight it was a bit tuned, production wise to be more commercial and as such it succeeded but with all the electronic beeps and radio friendly, cheesy sound effects it felt like a compromise. Not completely without reasot as there was much at stake and I cannot say I dislike the album for that.
It seemed to be a dividing point between his older sound and the bleepy bloopy synth sound. I remember my exact reaction to America the first time I heard it. "What the fck is this horse shit?" and laughter. Musically, I was scandalized. And not in a good way. Thankfully a lot of the album made up for it.

Surprised so many people aren't a fan of Girl from Tel-Aviv. That has to be my third favorite track behind Home and When You Open Your Legs. I think there's something very cinematic about Girl From Tel-Aviv. Really wish the first half of that song would be used in a film down the road.

I went back and forth on whether or not I like Spend the Day in Bed or not for awhile, but after hearing it live, I really think it's a great song. Really well written, clean production, and catchy as can be.

The album only continues to grow on me with time. A very strong release that has been clouded by Moz's unfortunate press.

It seemed to be a dividing point between his older sound and the bleepy bloopy synth sound. I remember my exact reaction to America the first time I heard it. "What the fck is this horse shit?" and laughter. Musically, I was scandalized. And not in a good way. Thankfully a lot of the album made up for it.

Yes.
But the song itself is still great cause it showed his very complicated love/hate relation with America.

I mean after the sunup of all that is/was bad about it he realty sang with heartfelt emotion “For haven’t you me with you now?
And I love you “ (repeat)

In this case the song was somewhat revealing and cotradictory as well.
I still like the vibe of the song.

I spent a long time banging on about how I wouldn't be buying this but, inevitably, I cracked in the end and it’s actually rather good. I see it as a better realised version of World Peace... but the piano ballads offer a glimpse (tantalising, naturally) of the album Kill Uncle could have been with a bit more polish. In many ways, it’s the first solo album that’s recognisably the work of the vocalist on Strangeways Here We Come.

Musically, it’s great and his vocals are as strong as ever but it’s his lyrics that surprise me. His recent comments in the press have made it difficult for me to be comfortable in my Morrissey-fanhood, but, soft targets aside, there’s very little here I find objectionable. Only I Bury The Living makes for an uncomfortable listen. Like anyone who grew up in a barracks town and came to understand the importance of staying out of certain pubs on a Thursday night I have mixed feelings about the Help For Heroes phenomenon, but to describe soldiers as ‘wretched outcasts with no point of view’ seems unnecessarily cruel. I suspect there’s a kernel of a sympathetic song here, but it’s lost amid the bile and this diminishes what would otherwise be a warm, funny, inventive and stimulating album.

Of the post 2000 albums, only ...Quarry runs it close but this one’s more consistent and, other than IBTL, avoids that earlier record’s occasionally petty vindictiveness. As an artist, he continues to get better, I just wish he’d focus on the music in future, and leave the likes of Kevin Spacey to fight their own battles.

I really like the way he sings "you were right all a-long" in Who Will Protect Us From The Police? It harks back fondly to Southpaw: "the girl of your dreams is sad and all a-lone..."

On listening to the album on vinyl and headphones it sounds like it was recorded in a echo chamber, no treble needed. It's his most eclectic bodacious album so far his voice is great feels free to sing any way he likes not constrained by the Smiths Morrissey sound. His subject matters are a world view of a well travelled man, stories about Manchester and England have not been present since the Maladjusted album. I think when he writes in a poetic 3rd person style it stands the test of time. At this point in his life his lyrics are quite blunt clearly against any authority, dictators,war, royalty. He adores Tel Aviv/ Israel which is no bad thing, but clearly hasn't got all the answers when he seems joining sides. In a Twitter world where everyone is easily offended his views on immigration, culture, politics, sexual encounters have tarnished his reputation as poet. His naivety is f***ing up the promotion of a great album. BMG keep the faith......Anyone who hasn't listened to the album give it a go its 12 songs of Morrissey awkwardness in a square world..... It's Great...

I don't think it has any big singles like his more loved albums but I'm not arsed about that. It's solid throughout, I skip Israel 'cause I think it's a bit shit but thankfully that comes last so makes it easy. My favourite solo album is Years of Refusal and it's not far off that, a bounce back to form after World Peace.

It's a shame he decided to promote it with the verbal shits but I guess after all these years we wouldn't expect anything else.

Due to a huge amount of I work, I began to listen to it only a couple of days ago and my first impressions are that half of it is decent while the second half is probably his worst since Maladjusted - the one and only album of his I never listen to.

Haven't heard it. Don't want to hear it. Don't need to hear it. I know it's shite.

I used to be straight down to the record shop on the day of a Smiths/Morrissey album (or single) release. That, however, is a very long time ago.

Haven't heard it. Don't want to hear it. Don't need to hear it. I know it's shite.

I used to be straight down to the record shop on the day of a Smiths/Morrissey album (or single) release. That, however, is a very long time ago.

Oh, the irony. :rolleyes:
Posing anonymous, answering the question “What do you think of it?” by answering you didn’t listen to it but know it is shite.

Please listen to it and claim you did and it is shite.

You would have sounded so much more believable and convincing.
:ha-no:

I really like the way he sings "you were right all a-long" in Who Will Protect Us From The Police? It harks back fondly to Southpaw: "the girl of your dreams is sad and all a-lone..."

Yes! I love the way he sings "Maybe God will" on the second time, moving his vocal up and down. Reminds me of his early vocals where his voice would warble and he would extend his notes more

Oh, the irony. :rolleyes:
Posing anonymous, answering the question “What do you think of it?” by answering you didn’t listen to it but know it is shite.

Please listen to it and claim you did and it is shite.

You would have sounded so much more believable and convincing.
:ha-no:

Perhaps you misunderstood. I don't need to listen to it to know that it is shite and I'd rather not put myself through the unnecessary trauma. I was sufficiently misguided to try to listen to his last effort where his session musician gave there approximation of "experiental"; I got about halfway through and had to turn it off. I've never been able to bring myself to give it a second chance. There's no good reason for me to try to listen to his latest attempt. It's shite.

sure you did.

Perhaps you misunderstood. I don't need to listen to it to know that it is shite and I'd rather not put myself through the unnecessary trauma. I was sufficiently misguided to try to listen to his last effort where his session musician gave there approximation of "experiental"; I got about halfway through and had to turn it off. I've never been able to bring myself to give it a second chance. There's no good reason for me to try to listen to his latest attempt. It's shite.

It's a very different sounding album to the last one to be fair. More akin to Years of Refusal but political. If you think that's shite then you're right to avoid.

It's solid throughout, I skip Israel 'cause I think it's a bit shit but thankfully that comes last so makes it easy.

I think Israel is great. At first I didn't connect to the lyric too much, but then I began to see it as a sort of grandiose self-portrait. Replace the word Israel with Morrissey and it still basically makes sense. The overall feel may be a bit Shirley Bassey for some people's taste though.

Back
Top Bottom